Tom Cameron invite

crosstownrivals

i would love to see the box score maybe Merrillville was missing some guys Garza, Garcia, Stevenson could be half of the points

From the NWI Times article .Merrillville Wrestlers  Shawn Streck (285), Michael Garza (106), Adam Garcia (126), Jacob Covaciu (132) and Mattl Hollins (170) all were perfect on the day at 5-0. It looks like Stevenson was out .

I don't want to stir up trouble but I can't see how this Penn JV thing is legal or fair really.  I mean it's great that coach Harper has the numbers to put together a dominating team and still has the talent on JV to go to most places and win.  However, when one school fields two varsity teams, that creates an unfair advantage for that program.  The challenge most coaches face is keeping kids out for the sport if they don't make the varsity squad because let's face it the JV program is lame for most teams and there just aren't many opportunities to wrestle.  When Penn takes their JV to Varsity tournaments, their program gains what seems like an unfair advantage in experience and in a way to keep those numbers of backup wrestlers satisfied.  This program will be unstoppable in 2 to 3 years.  I think you are seeing a high school wrestling empire being built.  I am not a coach and have no kids wrestling anymore, so I am strictly a fan.  I am a big Brad Harper fan and if I had a kid wrestling I would want him on this squad.  I just don't agree with them getting to field 2 varsity teams.  Their JV should have to get their wrestling experience through the same channels as every other team.  Just my opinion.    

Until more Indiana wrestling programs grows large enough to sustain full JV squad for meets, the formation of a "varsity 2" team is the best way to get kids experiance and keep them from leaving te program due to lack of mat time.  Now if these matches should be counted as JV, disclosure of what team will be at the even to all teams well ahead of time, and/or Varsity for the two teams involved and if coaches are end up using the teams as a way to shuffle kids around to pad individual wins or avoid studs could become the real issue that may end up causing controversy.   Some of these issues could probably be discussed and handled in house with the IHSWCA and the discussed with the IHSAA, so nothing all of a sudden springs up. If V2 is something that is worth keeping then any coaches who have these teams need to make sure they are careful not to cause unneeded controversy which would possibly cause the IHSAA to eventually end this practice.  

I have seen other schools field two teams at a particular tournament once maybe twice in a season, but not a full scheduled varsity season for them.  I dare say that this JV team has at least 15 varsity matches already and maybe more.  I am not really questioning the legal aspects of it but rather pointing out the unfairness of fielding two separate teams going in opposite directions on Saturdays.   

I don't want to stir up trouble but I can't see how this Penn JV thing is legal or fair really.  I mean it's great that coach Harper has the numbers to put together a dominating team and still has the talent on JV to go to most places and win.  However, when one school fields two varsity teams, that creates an unfair advantage for that program.  The challenge most coaches face is keeping kids out for the sport if they don't make the varsity squad because let's face it the JV program is lame for most teams and there just aren't many opportunities to wrestle.  When Penn takes their JV to Varsity tournaments, their program gains what seems like an unfair advantage in experience and in a way to keep those numbers of backup wrestlers satisfied.  This program will be unstoppable in 2 to 3 years.  I think you are seeing a high school wrestling empire being built.  I am not a coach and have no kids wrestling anymore, so I am strictly a fan.  I am a big Brad Harper fan and if I had a kid wrestling I would want him on this squad.  I just don't agree with them getting to field 2 varsity teams.  Their JV should have to get their wrestling experience through the same channels as every other team.  Just my opinion.    

Look at how good  Mater Dei was during there run , look at what Snyder built at Mishawaka and now Tonte at Perry Meridian . Perry Meridian has been unstoppable the past couple of years and this year is no different(thats the hard work of a coach and his kids) . I don't think Penn hired Harper to just be mediocre as they were already pretty good most years . they hired him to take the program to a new level ,and  that is what he is doing . To be competitive with the states elite teams . I can remember the state championship team a few years ago at Mishawaka , there JV team then would of beat most varsity teams in the state as well . If varsity teams don't like getting beat by jv teams , then they need to work on getting better .

Other teams must not thinks its a problem since they are the ones who extend the invite. If they don't want penns JV there, don't invite them.

Other teams must not thinks its a problem since they are the ones who extend the invite. If they don't want penns JV there, don't invite them.

I agree. I think its a good thing for our sport. You're only as good as the ones you compete with. I do have to question Clay leaving rather than wrestle Penn in the final round. If you are in a tournament that has one of your conference opponents also entered you should be prepared for a scenario in which you may have to wrestle them. Chesterton didn't have any issues wrestling their conference opponent in the final round even though they will also wrestle in a dual soon. Competition can only make you better in the long run. Looks like there were some nice competitive duals at Merrillville.

I have seen other schools field two teams at a particular tournament once maybe twice in a season, but not a full scheduled varsity season for them.  I dare say that this JV team has at least 15 varsity matches already and maybe more.  I am not really questioning the legal aspects of it but rather pointing out the unfairness of fielding two separate teams going in opposite directions on Saturdays.   

Sounds like sour grapes IMO.  Should we limit the amount of tournaments and practice time kids get during freestyle and greco?  I mean, think of all the extra experience those kids are getting!

It might be that chesterton wrestling against mville serves as their dual meet for the year.  That is how it works in the duneland.  Did penn have their varsity wrestle somewhere else the same day?

That wasn't their dual for the season. That is scheduled for this coming Weds night . So, even though they are wrestling again in less than a week, they still had no issues wrestling on Saturday. I believe if you want a dual that is wrestled during a super dual to count as your conference dual that most conferences require that it be wrestled the first match of the event.

Sounds like sour grapes IMO.  Should we limit the amount of tournaments and practice time kids get during freestyle and greco?  I mean, think of all the extra experience those kids are getting!

If you've looked at the calendar for this season you would see there isn't to much more you can do to limit it.  But that's a separate matter that needs to be looked at. 

Just to clarify, Penns True Varsity was at the Charger Invitational. A tournament they have participated in for years. From what I understand, when Yorktown pulled out of the Merrillville tournament because of the pending team state, an invitation was offered to Penn.  And they decided to send their V2.  I know M'ville would have loved for Penn to bring their V1, but that would not have been fair to Elkhart Memorial and the teams expecting Penn's best! 

Regarding SB Clay's decision, I can see that as well. If you are going to wrestle a team in your conference potentially 4 times in a season, what is the point, Clay was at the tournament before Penn was invited, and I am sure it is a strategic choice by their coach, and I respect Al Hartman's decision, This coach is a class act, and I am sure his reason are valid, and in the best interest of THEIR program.

Panther out.  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.