Rest in Peace -- John Schattner

Pete Schroeder

It is with great sadness that I report that wrestling lost a VERY good friend yesterday with the passing of John Schattner.  John had been involved with the sport of wrestling for 48 years, as a wrestler, a coach, an athlethic director, an official and a very dedicated and devoted officer of the state wrestling association.  From organizing decadades of NCAA wrestling finals trips, to coordinating CYO officials and assisting athletic directors, to working a table at Market Square and Bankers Life and on and on.  John officiated at all ends of the state and gave so much to our sport.  I am sure John now has the best seat in the house, in heaven.

Perry Meridian wrestling will miss John. He was a good friend for many years. After meets he officiated he used to go out to eat with the coaching staff at Schneiders and order his favorite bowl of bean soup. I will save your seat for you John and order a bowl of bean soup in your honor.

RIP

Jimmy

Pete please let me know the details of any arrangements.  I also believe that John has a special place  waiting on him in heaven. Few people probably know all of the things John did for his wrestlers at Guion Creek Middle School and how he continued to be a positive impact in their lives.  The NCAAs will never be the same without him. T

The arrangements for John Schattner's funeral are a showing from 10:30 to noon and a brief service, at the funeral home, at noon, this Saturday.  The location is O'Riley's funeral home at 6107 South East Street, a couple of miles south of the 465 and US 31 interchange.

In John's memory, the family is asking that no flowers be sent and donations be made to the Indiana State Wrestling Association, 5715 Churchman Avenue, Suite L, Indianapolis, IN  46203.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.