SIAC Wrestling

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Offense, but the new Central Sectional is far weaker than I have ever seen it.  Used to be our sectional was a really great day of wrestling.   I will just head to Newburgh I guess.

Yes, it is.  The new alignment kills the Central Sectional.  There won't be much suspense in most weight classes.  Not near the level of competition as before.

Yes, it is.  The new alignment kills the Central Sectional.  There won't be much suspense in most weight classes.  Not near the level of competition as before.

If nothing else it would have made more sense (economically and talent wise) to have the Posey (2), Pike (2), and Gibson (3) County schools come to Central with Reitz, Mater Dei, and Central.  North, Memorial, Harrison and Bosse, with the Warrick (3) and Spencer (2) County Schools, and Tell City...and this would be solved and more level.

Vincennes Lincoln should go to Bedford (Washington already is there) as it is a 9 team Sectional.

The SIAC is at another one of those Changing of the Guard status.  A lot of serious talent has graduated and moved on to the next level over the last couple of years and we are going to watch new contenders step up now.  I really enjoyed the parity in the conference a couple of years ago.

I don't see the number of sure fire dominate performers from top to bottom we have had in years past.  So it will be a scrap to get through the grinder now.  I think there are a few obvious front runners in each weight class, but they are more tightly contested this year than recently.

MD is still MD.  Reitz will be strong, but not as strong top to bottom as they have been recently, Castle is a question mark, and Memorial, Central, Harrison, and North will bring a few performers to the show also.

Should be more competitive and fun to watch!

Can we get Wrestleman and Bluebolt to give their picks for top 2 in each weight class?

Wouldn't that be really early?  Not all the teams even have their rosters filled out.  Football just ended for a few of the schools also.  I hear there are some kids that have elected to not wrestle also. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, just asking.

Wouldn't that be really early?  Not all the teams even have their rosters filled out.  Football just ended for a few of the schools also.  I hear there are some kids that have elected to not wrestle also. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, just asking.

It is never too early to get those two to disagree. :)

It is never too early to get those two to disagree. :)

Ok.  I am new around here so not sure who is who. 

I have been following the local wrestlers since moving here a few years ago.  I know that there are some fierce rivalries and that MD is the team to beat both locally and state wide.  But I have been very impressed with the quality of the individuals the teams locally have produced.  My sons wrestled in Wisconsin when we lived up there and the talent pool here is very much on par with what we had.  My kids are all grown now but I still enjoy what the sport brings to us all.

It's been interesting to watch how things ebb and flow with the teams here.  Living in Evansville, I have seen a lot of the Evansville, Posey, and Gibson County Schools compete.  Castle of course is always in the mix.  But I have to say Heritage Hills has been on the rise the last couple of years and look to have some really solid kids back. 

It's all about the individuals in the end.

I agree, it's never too early to disagree with BlueBolt.  However, it is a bit early to make a top two prediction list.  Will need a couple of weeks to see what weight class everyone is in.  By then it shouldn't be too difficult.  Where is gets difficult is beyond the top 2. 

I agree, it's never too early to disagree with BlueBolt.  However, it is a bit early to make a top two prediction list.  Will need a couple of weeks to see what weight class everyone is in.  By then it shouldn't be too difficult.  Where is gets difficult is beyond the top 2. 

Having only been around the area for 10 years or so, I am very impressed with what I know about Mater Dei's program and Castle.  I am very glad to see other schools stepping up their game too like I said.  I hate the way the sectionals are drawn up now though.  They have really hurt the Regional here.  I have seen a couple of local Regionals that have produced Semi State Champions.  That is no small feat given the fact that the Evansville Semi-State covers the entire southern half of the state.

Central and North's programs have potential to produce some tough competition this year, but I think the sectional realignment may have made things weaker and not stronger.  Just one man's opinion of course.

Well the season has started for most of the SIAC teams.  Central went 8-0 and North finished 7-1 at the Turkey Classic.  Reitz opened up with a win against Ft Campbell.  No Schnarr, if it is true a big lost for the grapplers on the hill.  Central hosted Union Co(KY).  Union Co is ranked 1 in KY Dual ranking and they showed why.  Union Co gives Central their first lost.  Great win by the team from across the river.  This week-end MD hits the mat for the first time.  Looking for to see who made the line-up.  Heard that their might be some surprises.

Hope all the SIAC teams have a great start to the season, and hope Evv Memorial and Ev MD produce at the State Duals.

More to come later.

From what I have heard both Schnarr boys quit. Pretty big let down for the teammates that counted on them. I never understood the mentality of a quitter.

I didn't plan on commenting, but because I've been close with Mason and his family for a while now, I will try to clear it up to avoid comments like the ones above. When I spoke to Mason last week, he said  that he had a pretty serious injury to his shoulder in football this season.  Since he has been in high school, his main goal has always been to play college football and he looks to have that opportunity having narrowed his list to 3 D-1 schools( 2 being in the Ivy League). Apparently the doctors also told him that the only way he would be ready for college football would be rest/rehab his shoulder, instead of wrestling this year. He's a really good kid, and feels bad about letting his coaches and team down, eventhough it is a situation that's beyond his control. I hope this sheds some light on the situation and everyone considers this before saying anything more to this effect.

I didn't plan on commenting, but because I've been close with Mason and his family for a while now, I will try to clear it up to avoid comments like the ones above. When I spoke to Mason last week, he said  that he had a pretty serious injury to his shoulder in football this season.  Since he has been in high school, his main goal has always been to play college football and he looks to have that opportunity having narrowed his list to 3 D-1 schools( 2 being in the Ivy League). Apparently the doctors also told him that the only way he would be ready for college football would be rest/rehab his shoulder, instead of wrestling this year. He's a really good kid, and feels bad about letting his coaches and team down, eventhough it is a situation that's beyond his control. I hope this sheds some light on the situation and everyone considers this before saying anything more to this effect.

If you're not completely committed to wrestling (whether it be due to your heart or your health) - it can be a brutal experience.  Sounds like football is his best bet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.