SIAC Wrestling

From what I was able to catch this weekend it looks like the word for the SIAC is parity!  MD is the team to beat, but the rest are neck and neck!  Harrison seems to be much improved. 

The number of kids I saw in the gyms wresting this weekend were VERY impressive!  We went to Castle - wife worked a booth at their bands Christmas sale and I was blown away by the number of kids wrestling compared to other years I have seen! 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I was able to catch this weekend it looks like the word for the SIAC is parity!   MD is the team to beat, but the rest are neck and neck!  Harrison seems to be much improved. 

The number of kids I saw in the gyms wresting this weekend were VERY impressive!   We went to Castle - wife worked a booth at their bands Christmas sale and I was blown away by the number of kids wrestling compared to other years I have seen!   

I was in the same boat.  The teams at Castle were pretty decent.  Edgewood was a nice addition.

Castle looks young but tough.  Union County was incredible!

• 1 month later...

2 weeks away and my guess is reitz takes it, champs at 106, 113, maybe 120, runner up at 132 and maybe runner up at 220. MD will have 160 and hwt. Castle will have 126 runner up at 113 and maybe 138. Memorial 132 if hes healthy? Central 138 145 and 220 North 182. need some input lets hear it

2 weeks away and my guess is reitz takes it, champs at 106, 113, maybe 120, runner up at 132 and maybe runner up at 220. MD will have 160 and hwt. Castle will have 126 runner up at 113 and maybe 138. Memorial 132 if hes healthy? Central 138 145 and 220 North 182. need some input lets hear it

113 is Castle's to lose.  Not saying it can't happen, but realistically speaking. 

I see the teams coming down to MD, Me, CE in the top 3 spots.  MD wins it in wrestle backs where most tourneys are won.

No dog in the fight, but not wearing rose colored glasses either.  I hope everyone is healthy and ready to go when the time comes.

It will be hard for MD just because of the FF @ 195 and 220. You cant have wrestle backs w/ empty spots. We will have a good idea next week after the MD and Reitz dual. Centrals dual w/MD was last night. Throw Mem. and Castle in the mix will be a good SIAC, Mastison and D.Lane cant be forgotten either.

It will be hard for MD just because of the FF @ 195 and 220. You cant have wrestle backs w/ empty spots. We will have a good idea next week after the MD and Reitz dual. Centrals dual w/MD was last night. Throw Mem. and Castle in the mix will be a good SIAC, Mastison and D.Lane cant be forgotten either.

I look for Mastison to pick it up starting at Conference time.  He is so tall it has to cause people problems!

What MD has that will pull them through is the ability to pin.  It will hurt a lot not having 2 weight classes, but given the parity of the conference, pins will win this tourney, and what weight classes do you see that MD's entry can't pin in the consolation bracket?  Just being realistic.

I can see a case for the team finals to look like ME, CE, MD, and then the rest.  It's all about the individuals and the ability to score big when needed.

Reitz at 106-132 is dominate but everyone is overlooking some good quality wrestlers from 138 on.

113 and 126 are Dominant for Reitz in this Sectional?  Let's throw in 132 also?

I am a Reitz alum, and WISH what you said was true, but let's be realistic for a few seconds here...

I admire any kid who laces up his wrestling shoes and walks out there in from of his parents and peers to compete.  But sometimes we have to just be honest and sometimes admit that there are REALLY tough kids that are (on paper) a bit more likely to win. 

They wrestle the matches for a reason.  Anything CAN happen, and usually one or two really great prospects get bumped at sectional time.

I don't see Reitz as nearly Dominant as I keep hearing you say.  Kills me to say it, but there are some top notch kids that will be showing up and challenging for that crown and have just as much a shot of winning it as a Reitz Panther.  If they ARE dominant, then they must first PROVE it, which honestly they have not done yet this year.   

I am a Reitz alum, and WISH what you said was true, but let's be realistic for a few seconds here...

I admire any kid who laces up his wrestling shoes and walks out there in from of his parents and peers to compete.  But sometimes we have to just be honest and sometimes admit that there are REALLY tough kids that are (on paper) a bit more likely to win.   

They wrestle the matches for a reason.  Anything CAN happen, and usually one or two really great prospects get bumped at sectional time.

I don't see Reitz as nearly Dominant as I keep hearing you say.   Kills me to say it, but there are some top notch kids that will be showing up and challenging for that crown and have just as much a shot of winning it as a Reitz Panther.   If they ARE dominant, then they must first PROVE it, which honestly they have not done yet this year.     

Sectional or SIAC I have to agree with you.

If this year is anything like the Conference meets I have seen, it will be a slug out at every weight class!

I hope that all the kids are healthy and eligible to compete!  Good luck to everyone!

I don't see Reitz as nearly Dominant as I keep hearing you say.   Kills me to say it, but there are some top notch kids that will be showing up and challenging for that crown and have just as much a shot of winning it as a Reitz Panther.   If they ARE dominant, then they must first PROVE it, which honestly they have not done yet this year.     

From 106-132 I think they have a combined total of less than 10 losses. That's pretty dominate for 5 weight classes.

From 106-132 I think they have a combined total of less than 10 losses. That's pretty dominate for 5 weight classes.

The point being this...

Reitz has 5 tough kids in this weight range.  BUT there are 5 returning state qualifiers in the same weight ranges, and over all they have to be given the nod until proven otherwise.

"Dominant" is relative to the competition you face.  I once had a young man start off his season with a record of 13 - 0, all 13 wins were forfeits.  Dumb luck just put him in a weight class that was very poorly represented on our competitions rosters.

The Tell City tournament with Castle , Central,Reitz, N.Posey , Mt.Vernon and TC will clear the air on a lot of the lower weights. Just missing HH and MD for a real barn burner. Yes , I know they are not all SIAC teams , but it would be fun to rattle the windows at the Brian Taylor Arena.

The point being this...

Reitz has 5 tough kids in this weight range.   BUT there are 5 returning state qualifiers in the same weight ranges, and over all they have to be given the nod until proven otherwise.

"Dominant" is relative to the competition you face.   I once had a young man start off his season with a record of 13 - 0, all 13 wins were forfeits.   Dumb luck just put him in a weight class that was very poorly represented on our competitions rosters.

From the Evansville Newspaper today...

106 Ferguson 34-0

113 Kuhn 35-0

120 Davis 33-2

126 Todrank  30-4

132 Johns 32-3

Tell the 164 kids that lost their match that they are not dominate. If this were Castles bottom 5 I would think they were just as dominate. The thing that surprised me were the records of the heavier weights. While not as dominate they are better than average. Should be a great SIAC.

106 Ferguson 34-0

113 Kuhn 35-0

120 Davis 33-

126 Todrank  30-4

132 Johns 32-3

Tell the 164 kids that lost their match that they are not dominate. If this were Castles bottom 5 I would think they were just as dominate. The thing that surprised me were the records of the heavier weights. While not as dominate they are better than average. Should be a great SIAC.

In a week or so none of that matters?  The actual "season" starts and everyone is reset to 0 - 0. 

In a week or so none of that matters?  The actual "season" starts and everyone is reset to 0 - 0.   

I don't agree completely, because if you wrestled a tough schedule and took losses along the way it def helps as compared to someone who wrestled a weak schedule.

106 Ferguson 34-0

113 Kuhn 35-0

120 Davis 33-2

126 Todrank  30-4

132 Johns 32-3

Obviously these 5 have dominated their competition.  164-9 is truly dominant, but what has their toughest competition been?  How many wins over ranked opponents do these 5 have?  That might shed a little more light on the achievements of the Reitz squad.

I don't agree completely, because if you wrestled a tough schedule and took losses along the way it def helps as compared to someone who wrestled a weak schedule.

I think the point is it becomes a "Win or go home" proposition and that sometimes adds a spark to a kid who no one saw coming. 

Lets hear the West News !

Mater Dei pretty dominate. Reitz losses were either by pin or by one move. How does that happen?  The ones that got away were at 120 to MD (1 point), 160 to MD (1 point) and 132 to MD (2 points) but at 126 Todrank proved he is a factor in this SIAC. Ferg, Kuhn looked good as well. The heavy weight from Reitz was the 220 and he came off with a big pin. Good night of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.