New weigh-in rule issue!

mistadmo

As explained to me by an IHSAA official...

The officials have been discussing an issue with the new weigh-in procedure. 

Example:  132 is the weight drawn to begin weigh-ins, once 138 begins to weigh-in, 132 is now closed.  No one can weigh in at that weight class. 

Problem...What happens when the last wrestler to weigh in at 126 is over weight?  132 is now closed!  Ethically, I would believe that all would allow that wrestler to wrestle at 132, but what happens when we run into that official, or coach who goes crazy over the rule? 

If it becomes a problem will you see teams weighing in wrestlers early.  For instance, if they start at 132 can they weigh in all of their 126 pounders with the 132's?  126 is still open and if they make it they'd be qualified, right?  Or are you prohibited from moving down from the weight class you weighed in at, even if you qualify?

Gentlemen,

Please distribute this to the referees in your association.

The NFHS has redefined their earlier position and interpretation on the following weigh in situation.

The weight class drawn for the weigh in is 132 pound class. The last weight to be weighed in is the 126 pound class.

New interpretation.....if wrestler A weighs in at the 126 pound weight class between 126.1 and 132.0, he may now wrestle in the 132 pound class even though the 132 pound class has been closed.

This is a different interpretation that was presented at the NFHS meeting and to some of you. Sorry for the late change, but , most of you will probably agree it is a good change.

Best Regards,

Jim Russell and Tom Clark

IHSAA Rules Interpreters

Tom,

Looking at the scenario below (which I quoted from an earlier post)....if a wrestler were to weigh-in when the 132 pounders were called to the scale and he stepped on the scale and weighed 125 he of course would be eligible for the 132 pound class because he weighed less than 132 and more than 119, but would he still be eligible for the 126 pound class since he came to the scale with the 132 pound class or would he only be eligible for the 132 pound class?

Rex

If it becomes a problem will you see teams weighing in wrestlers early.  For instance, if they start at 132 can they weigh in all of their 126 pounders with the 132's?  126 is still open and if they make it they'd be qualified, right?  Or are you prohibited from moving down from the weight class you weighed in at, even if you qualify?

I understand cutting down on some of the semantics of jockeying your kids around for the best match-ups, but at this point every new rule about it just results in crazy scenarios  that someone will be called out on.  It doesn't seem like it would affect 99.9% the competitions at all to just weight everyone in and whatever weight they make allows them to wrestle in that weight class or the one above.  Here again is another rule that sounds like its for good intentions, but in reality ends up causing more confusion and chaos because other rules it effect are also hard to follow.   

Tom,

Looking at the scenario below (which I quoted from an earlier post)....if a wrestler were to weigh-in when the 132 pounders were called to the scale and he stepped on the scale and weighed 125 he of course would be eligible for the 132 pound class because he weighed less than 132 and more than 119, but would he still be eligible for the 126 pound class since he came to the scale with the 132 pound class or would he only be eligible for the 132 pound class?

Rex

Rex,

We are going to get a ruling from the NFHS before I comment further.

I know what they told us and I know what they intended....but, they make go the other way with it.

Tom

I would let the wrestler bump up and wrestle any of my guys anytime why make him not be able to compete that takes the FUN out of it i mean sucks if the person doesnt make weight probably some team rules/penalties about that issue but id tell the ref hey let him wrestle my wrestler i dont care about that damn rule hahaha

Tom and/or Jim,

Why would this be an issue? 

If I have a 126 lber that weighs in last, he should still be eligible to wrestle 132.

We should still be able to move a wrestler up 1 weight class, or are they taking that away from us? 

On a day with multiple dual meets your line up is going to change and kids are a lot of times moved up a weight class.

Paul Gunsett

Paul,

If I understood the situation above it isn't when your 126 pounder makes weight. The problem is if he is over weight. The original interpretation was that he could not wrestle 132 because that weight was closed by then.  In effect he wouldn't able to wrestle that day.  It sounds like the interpretation was changed so he would still qualify for 132.

Phil

Tom,

Rex

In this case the wrestler would not be permitted to wrestle in the 126 pound class because he weighed in with the 132 pound class. The idea is you can go up a weight if you qualify but not down.

Tom and/or Jim,

Why would this be an issue? 

If I have a 126 lber that weighs in last, he should still be eligible to wrestle 132.

We should still be able to move a wrestler up 1 weight class, or are they taking that away from us? 

On a day with multiple dual meets your line up is going to change and kids are a lot of times moved up a weight class.

Paul Gunsett

Paul,

A wrestler is permitted to wrestle in the weight class they qualify for plus the one above it...that has not changed.

The original interpretation by the NFHS has been revisited. Now if an athlete misses weight, they can go up to the next weight class even if that weight has been closed.

Tom Clark

IHSAA Rules Interpreter

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.