IHSWCA State Team Duals on Dec. 22

Defending state champion Perry Meridian headlines a list of 24 teams selected to participate in the first Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association (IHSWCA) State Duals Invitational.

The three-class tournament is scheduled Saturday, Dec. 22, at Westfield High School, just north of Indianapolis.

The Duals are an attempt to rekindle the excitement of a state championship event, featuring many of the best wrestling teams in Indiana, following the Indiana High School Athletic Association?s decision to end its state team tournament.

Admission will be $10.

The IHSAA ended its team state wrestling finals last February following a 17-year run.

In response, the IHSWCA has started a ?team state? tournament of its own, with eight mat squads competing in each of three classes based on school enrollment.

Perry Meridian ? the IHSAA?s final dual meet tourney winner ? will be part of the field. So are two other teams that reached the Final Four last season, Indianapolis Cathedral and Evansville Mater Dei.

Wrestling begins at 10 a.m. The finals should start around 6 p.m.

Losing teams will drop into a consolation bracket and have the opportunity to wrestle for third through eighth place in their respective classes.

Tourney brackets and first-round opponents are tentatively slated to be announced Saturday, Dec. 15.

Participating teams include:

Class AAA (large schools)

Bloomington South

Center Grove

Elkhart Memorial

Evansville Mater Dei

Franklin Community

Indianapolis Cathedral

Penn

Perry Meridian

Class AA (medium-sized schools)

Culver Academies

Danville

Evansville Memorial

Heritage Hills

Jimtown

Muncie Southside

Southmont

Yorktown

Class A (small schools)

Adams Central

Bremen

Churubusco

Lewis Cass

Milan

Prairie Heights

South Adams

South Putnam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an awesome tournament! So will the team state champion be rewarded from the individual state championship this year?

Yes,  the running tournament score from the Individual State Finals will determine the overall IHSAA team state champion. 

Why will the seeding not be released until Dec 15th?  The teams have already been selected, why isn't the seeding selected too?

From what I understand, the seeding will be done then in order create the best possible match ups

From what I understand, the seeding will be done then in order create the best possible match ups

Best for who? 

I guess what I am asking is if the criteria for the top 8 teams are already determined then why wait until Dec 15th to seed them...or Wait until that time ot pick the teams and seed them.

At least list the criteria for how the seeding will be determined.

Best for who? 

I guess what I am asking is if the criteria for the top 8 teams are already determined then why wait until Dec 15th to seed them...or Wait until that time ot pick the teams and seed them.

At least list the criteria for how the seeding will be determined.

Teams were selected based on the performance of their non-seniors in last year's individual tournament.  That doesn't account for freshmen who make an impact on the varsity, upperclassmen who decide not to wrestle, wrestlers who were ineligible for the tournament, etc.  Early results may not be indicative of strength for those schools who go deep into the football tournament, either.  I think the IHSWCA is recognizing that the team that was the best last February may not be the best when this December approaches and they want to avoid the top 2 team meeting in the early rounds.

Teams were selected based on the performance of their non-seniors in last year's individual tournament.  That doesn't account for freshmen who make an impact on the varsity, upperclassmen who decide not to wrestle, wrestlers who were ineligible for the tournament, etc.  Early results may not be indicative of strength for those schools who go deep into the football tournament, either.  I think the IHSWCA is recognizing that the team that was the best last February may not be the best when this December approaches and they want to avoid the top 2 team meeting in the early rounds.

Can anyone tell us the criteria that will be used for seeding?

Well said AC Computer and very accurate.

The IHSWCA Board of Directors and the seeding committee will be finalizing the seeding criteria at our next monthly board meeting (Nov. 11th) at Lawrence North HS.

Coach McCormick

Thanks Coach - look forward to hear about the seeding criteria after the 11th and thanks for helping keep the team state alive!

I would like to thank Mr. Creason (South Bend Tribune) for his recent press release surrounding our event.  Additionaly, Mr. Creason forwarded his article through the Associated Press to newspapers all over the state of Indiana.  It has already been run in several newspapers.  If your local newspaper has not run it yet, you might want to contact them and ask if they will indeed run it at some point to recognize your team who is participating in the event or to simply promote the event in your area.

Although it is true that the coaches and teams participating in this event are highly competitive in nature, the IHSWCA really hopes this will be a special event for Indiana wrestling in general.  It will be a celebration of wrestling for teams from 24 communities as well as an opportunity for teams/schools of all sizes to showcase their skills and have their moment under the spotlight on Dec. 22.

Any, and all, correspondence that I have had with the coaches who are participating in this event has been extremely positive in nature.  One coach has already reached out to all of his school's wrestling alumni to ask them to come to the event and support their team; another school has already ordered special gear for their team just for this event; and there are other specific examples of how coaches are in essence making this event one of the main focal points of their season.  It is gratifying to me, and the IHSWCA Board of Directors, to see people excited about wrestling in the framework of dual meet competition.  This is one of the beautiful aspects of our sport...  at times it can be purely an individual sport; while at other times, teammates depend on each other to score points for their squad!

When the tournament is over, it is the IHSWCA's hope that both the wrestling teams and Indiana wrestling fans enjoyed themselves and felt like they got their monies' worth.

There are a few people that I would like to already start thanking for the time they are investing into this event:

1. JD Minch - tournament director - has already put numerous hours and days into this event.

2. Terry O'Neill and the Westfield HS athletic office who have been working feverishly on the logistics of the event.

3.  Mark Durham - who has taken the bull by the horns with regard to trackwrestling and the 4 live camera feeds that will take place at the event and the sponsorships to cover this cost

4.  Tom Clark - who has lined up 20 of Indiana's best high school mat officials to work this event

5.  The ISWA - which has pledged their full support with equipment and manpower for the event

6.  The Indianamat staff - who will be producing "classed" team ranking in coordination with the IHSWCA staff for Indiana wrestling fans to view.

There are other people carrying out smaller pieces to the puzzle, but these are some of the people who have put a lot of work in upfront in preparation for the event.

Thank you,

Coach McCormick

• 4 weeks later...

www.broadcastsport.net will of course be LIVE VIDEO webcasting the Team State Tourney from Westfield High School on December 22nd.  Our plans are to have 6 separate broadcast crews throughout the entire event, with each crew and video feed covering 2 of the mats at once.

Also we will be maintaining updated team scores on a per weight class level and also updating the brackets.  So Indiana wrestling fans can watch all of the action and track the results all from the same page at www.broadcastsport.net

We are currently putting together our broadcast crews so if you want to be part of the excitement, let us know quickly!

The IHSWCA Board of Directors and the seeding committee will be finalizing the seeding criteria at our next monthly board meeting (Nov. 11th) at Lawrence North HS.

Coach McCormick

Will the seeding criteria be made public?

Jimtown will be holding a send-off Pep Rally on Thursday Dec 20th for their team's first-ever appearance in the Wrestling Team State Finals!  www.broadcastsport.net plans on Live Video Webcasting the Pep Rally.

Rumor has it there will be a Smoke Machine and in-door FireWorks!!!  Also many former Jimmie Wrestlers said to be in attendance.

What about the other schools, are you treating this event like a big deal or just another super dual?

Another Rumor talked about someone Live Broadcasting the Seeding Meeting.  Hopefully, everyone can't watch hold their tempers and watch their language!  Or maybe that only happens for events held after Christmas?

We are finalizing the details on that as I type.  Want to make sure we come up with the best possible way to seed tourney.

Have they finalized the seeding criteria yet?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.