2012 IndianaMat Preview Magazine is HERE!

Y2CJ41

i have a friend who did this same basic thing but at a different school.....when his kids year was up and he went back to his regular school, he enrolled back into the grade he was supposed to be in....he also repeated the grade he was in to go to this school for gifted children, but because he was so smart he went right back into place at his high school.....which made sense to me......he got credits for going to the "gifted" school the same as if he had just stayed where he was at....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guess I'm confused on how this still works.

If....

8th-12th graders are all together in the upper school. 8th-10th graders work within the MYP or middle years program while 11th and 12th graders work on IB.

And he's taking some level of a high school style courses like

in addition to all the language courses he takes there he is studying physics, chemistry, microbiology, geometry, trigonometry, drama, religion, & world history(none of which he had previously taken).

Then why can he be called a Freshman then?  Yeah I get the language barrier issue that was brought but he's not taking what i would call 8th grade course work nor just in an 8th grade or even middle school level environment.  It would seem the paced out course work for 8th graders and 9th graders wouldn't be to much different in this setting.  Just seems like he would be a freshman but then again I'm just a public school graduate and haven't experienced how these type of school conduct their school days.

I wasn't going to respond but I almost feel obligated to educate those who have never heard about ISI because it is truly such a unique school and amazing opportunity for those fortunate to be accepted. Since it is hard for some to comprehend how a straight A 8th grade student coming from a public school could be placed into 8th grade at ISI I will try to explain the uniqueness of the school. Unlike public schools their classes are taught in languages other than English(total immersion). When u set up your schedule you choose a language track, for example Ben chose Spanish as his primary language, French as his secondary and then English as his third. This means Ben's language & humanities classes are taught in Spanish(that is the language the teacher uses to teach the class, she/he will speak NO English or any other language during class. It's not that Ben could not have comprehended the material taught at grade level 9, it's the fact he has to comprehend it in a foreign language! He has chose to predominately focus this school year on becoming multilingual. But in addition to all the language courses he takes there he is studying physics, chemistry, microbiology, geometry, trigonometry, drama, religion, & world history(none of which he had previously taken). The classes consist on average of  6 to 10 students depending on the subject and within each class the students work at their own pace. There is not a "honors" program there because all students are gifted however the students still work to their potential which means they do not always work on the same thing. A state regimented curriculum is not in place as I stated before they follow the IB. 8th-12th graders are all together in the upper school. 8th-10th graders work within the MYP or middle years program while 11th and 12th graders work on IB. The school functions like a college with complete freedom given to the students. For example if I need to take Ben to the doctor I text him and tell him what time ill be there. I do not have to call the school and sign him out. Trust is given to the students.  He is expected to make all arrangements with his teachers if he misses something just like in college. It is a " paperless" school all grades are required to have a Mac and all homework and teacher correspondence is done through their Mac's. During their lunch time they are free to leave or go outside on the campus and play football etc. rules are not strictly placed upon them as they are in public schools. At ISI there are no "bad apples" to spoil the bunch. Everyone is there with the same goals, they all seem to share the same core values and morals. They are all there for a better education. the school focuses on critical thinking and application of knowledge, unlike regular schools that just teach based on memorization. It's really quite an unreal atmosphere that no matter how much I try and explain it most will not understand without actually seeing it first hand. Please if you have time just go to their website and take a look yourself...ISIND.ORG

And to Indy Star who has lived here 52 years ISI was founded in 1994...:)

Athletics aside this sounds like a fantastic opportunity.  Public school education needs reform and for that very reason if/when I have children I will send them to an international/private/college prep school before I would a public school.  I have many friends from college who attend schools such as ISI and were well ahead of most students intellectually and athletically due to similar opportunities.  

In my opinion I do fully believe that many high schools (some private schools included) fail to prepare students for college.  Especially considering the fact that in 2011 we graduated 87.5% of eligible high school seniors and only 30% of the U.S. population over the age of 25 have a college degree.  I do realize that some students choose not to pursue an associates or bachelors following high school (and that is their decision) but truly we are lagging in our education system.

Also, I just would like to point out I love the discussion we are having under the subject of "2012 IndianaMat Preview Magazine is HERE!" By the way it is a fantastic magazine.  If you don't have one buy it!  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.