Now accepting teams for ISWA elementary team dual state

Mattyb

Clubs may now enter teams into the 2013 elementary team state.

We will be accepting the first 16 entries now through December 27th. Clubs may enter a second team if less than 16 teams enter.

We had 15 tough teams last year, at a very successful event. We look forward to another great event.

Weight classes will be as follows: 40,45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80,85,90,95,105,115,130,150, HWT (up to 175).

All other information can be found at the ISWA website.

http://iswa.com/Tournaments/2013%20ELEM%20Dual%20Team%20State.pdf

Matt Brewer

ISWA Folkstyle Developmental Director

Matt,

Thanks for posting this early so we can work out all the details within our individual clubs...for clarification on the wildcards...the spots allowed 2, 3, 4, etc...are based on school class, pretty clear on that.

Question: Does this include active club members? For example...we have a few club members, some you know, who have always come to CG from Southport (who doesnt have a duals team), or Mooresville (who doesnt have a team) or Greenwood (who doesnt have a team) ..., now, we can fill a team without them, but if I am interpreting the rule correctly, these active club members would no longer be allowed on our team or would count as wildcard spots?

2nd Question: Can you have 2 total "wildcards" on your team roster....or is it 2 wildcards in your lineup for that particular dual...?

Matt,

Thanks for posting this early so we can work out all the details within our individual clubs...for clarification on the wildcards...the spots allowed 2, 3, 4, etc...are based on school class, pretty clear on that.

Question: Does this include active club members? For example...we have a few club members, some you know, who have always come to CG from Southport (who doesnt have a duals team), or Mooresville (who doesnt have a team) or Greenwood (who doesnt have a team) ..., now, we can fill a team without them, but if I am interpreting the rule correctly, these active club members would no longer be allowed on our team or would count as wildcard spots?

2nd Question: Can you have 2 total "wildcards" on your team roster....or is it 2 wildcards in your lineup for that particular dual...?

Per our conversations, we are attempting level the playing field for smaller communities while keeping this a community based event. Are the guidelines perfect? Absolutely not, but they will never be (in all eyes).

Most teams had a hole or two at the top of their line ups, for this reason we have slightly spaced out the upper weights (thus one less weight class this year).

Now to answer your question. All wrestlers must attend school at Center Grove with exception of two team members (period). No distance or any other restriction. You can have two wrestlers that do not attend Center Grove as long as they are under 175 and are born in 2000 or after. Smaller schools will be allowed 3 or 4 additional wrestlers (depending on size). Pretty cut and dry.

At this time, I would encourage Greenwood (I know that Watson can do it, he's the man), Mooresville, and Southport to put teams together (they all have ISWA clubs). Let's go club leaders, hit the football fields and the elementary schools. Lets build a monster here in Indiana. We can do it from the bottom up. The elementary duals are a great product. We all need to start somewhere. It is very exciting to see new teams and communities get involved. Lets continue to provide more quality opportunities for young wrestlers.

The rule is pretty cut and dry...and not having a few kids from Southport, Mooresville, or Monrovia certainly wont keep larger youth programs or schools like Avon, Columbus East, CG, Perry, Ben Davis,  from putting together a team or even multiple teams. That being said, we (large programs) are all very lucky...we have large numbers...I dont know (or claim to know) what the correct answer is, and from our prior conversations I know the ISWA dicusses all these things in great detail before making any decisions, i.e., no all-star teams., etc...but I do know some kids will not get to wrestle in, or be part of a team in a pretty good ISWA event because maybe their community school doesnt have a program at all, or they just dont have the numbers to have a team like the larger schools do. There are lots of talented young wrestlers in Indiana living in small towns and communities with no programs. Excluding those young wrestlers who could be on a team somewhere is a shame...

There has to be guidelines we are doing the best that we can. And no it's not a shame. This event is great. With that said, the number of ISWA sanctioned duals has trippled over the last couple of years (all of which are open to all wrestlers that belong to clubs with teams). New dual teams are being created each year. We have also commited to take an annual trip to national duals (open to all wrestlers) every year. We are building something great and are starting from the bottom up. I'm sure that Bryan Bailey, Brandi Cash, and others will continue to lead National dual trips all over this great nation. I am very proud to be a part of this. I am sorry to all that think that what we all do is a shame.

All I was doing was announcing that teams may now sign up. That's it. So feel free to do so.

This will be it from me on this thread.

Thanks to all that work with our youth,

Matt Brewer

My question or post was clearly misunderstood. So, this will be my last post as well and hopefully clarify the thought a little...

It was not intended to bash anyone...any team, or organization. The ISWA and Matt have done a good job, I know they constantly meet and tweak things, and are open to ideas, the number of teams has certainly grown, and the events are great. We routinely support duals events at Perry, Franklin, Bloomington South,  Columbus East, etc. and they are all great events, run by great people. We like the system so much so much we added one this year at CG. That is another opportunity to wrestle and more growth of the sport. The ISWA and Matt, Bryan Bailey, Brandi Cash, Ryan Parrish (some I know better than others) all take teams to numerous national events, which obviously exposes Indiana youth wrestlers to greater competition, and grows Indiana wrestling. My own son has actually been on several of those teams and had great experiences....The list above are all great things...great for Indiana great for the sport. Anyone who knows me at all knows I am about as laid back as anyone out there, but I do say what I think.... and the only thing I said was a "shame" is the kids who live in small towns and communities around that do not have teams or youth wrestling programs at their schools do not have an avenue to participate on some team at state. That is why I asked about alternates...thinking, outside the box, that maybe even if you can only have 2 -3-4 kids in your lineup at any given time maybe they can be alternates and work in...Thats all, so, I dont want that one comment/question turned into that I think the entire system sucks...I think its a damn good product...best of luck to all...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.