NCAA Duals National Tournament? Coaches Quotes

wildcatcountry97

Are you in favor of the new National Duals Idea ? Please vote. Also - here are some coaches quotes

?I?m thrilled we?re trying to do things that put us in better position with the NCAA. ? If you go from one event to two events and it becomes successful, that?s 100 percent improvement. Where do you get that in? If you find out it isn?t going to fly and you go for it for a couple or three years and it doesn?t, then you can make the necessary change to improve it or you go back. If all of a sudden we find out we?ve got two watered-down events and it?s less than one good event, then you have to go back. But I have to put trust in the people who are actually working in that area, and that?s where I?m at. I want the sport to move forward.?

? Former Iowa coach Dan Gable

?I?m not sure where I stand. I think it?s going to happen and we?ve got to move forward and make the best of it.?

? Northern Iowa coach Doug Schwab

?Right now, it doesn?t seem like there?s a chance for anybody else to win it except for the upper-echelon teams, but I think in a dual meet format there will be a chance. Maybe I?m crazy. Don?t get me wrong, a program like Drexel University, we?re a long ways off. I don?t think we?re a long ways off from winning our conference, though, and if we won our conference and I go to my athletic department ? a very pro-basketball athletic department ? and say ?Our team qualified for the national tournament, I think that would be a big deal to them.?

? Drexel coach Matt Azevedo

?We?ve tried the status quo the last 20 years. We?ve tried the status quo for the last 160 or 170 dropped programs. That doesn?t work. That?s the only thing we know ? doing the same thing doesn?t work. This can?t hurt. ? If it was the other way around right now, if we had a national title determined by a National Dual meet championship do you think there would be a single person in this country, if we wanted to change it the other way, would anybody consider that? No way.?

? Cornell coach Rob Koll

?Before you make a huge move like that, you need to do some research and base your risk on fact instead of hopes and thinking you wave a magic wand and everything?s going to be perfect now. It seemed like that was the mentality.

?It?s like we?re jumping from rock to rock hoping that one works. It?s scary. And it?s billed as: Do you want to save the sport? This is going to do this and that. I say, ?How? How is this going to build dual meet attendance across the country in smaller schools?? They say, well, it?s because a dual meet matters now. It?s not going to matter to the 40 schools that don?t have a chance to be at the duals, and those are the schools we?re trying to build up.?

? Penn State coach Cael Sanderson

I believe that the current scoring system at the NCAA's is much better for the small school than a dual meet format would be.  Look at American University a few years back, with only 4 or 5 scholarships, and they were able to finish 4th in the nation, Mark Cody became coach of the year, and they were bumped up to the full 9.9 scholarships because of their performance.  If they had to field a full 10 person team and compete against the nation's top programs, there's no way they finish in the top 5, but in an individual tournament scoring, with 5 studs, they were able to do so, and in turn, build their scholarship base.  I'm wholeheartedly against the proposal for this reason..

I believe that the current scoring system at the NCAA's is much better for the small school than a dual meet format would be.  Look at American University a few years back, with only 4 or 5 scholarships, and they were able to finish 4th in the nation, Mark Cody became coach of the year, and they were bumped up to the full 9.9 scholarships because of their performance.  If they had to field a full 10 person team and compete against the nation's top programs, there's no way they finish in the top 5, but in an individual tournament scoring, with 5 studs, they were able to do so, and in turn, build their scholarship base.  I'm wholeheartedly against the proposal for this reason..

Yeah but what do you know

I read this a couple of days ago... you guys might find this interesting on where the Hawkeyes stand on the subject:

The possibility of the National Duals determining who wins the NCAA team title is the hottest topic in wrestling right now and there are a lot of coaches on either side of the proposal. We know guys like Rob Koll and Brian Smith are for it, we heard from Missouri head coach Brian Smith as to why he is for the change. We know that guys like Cael Sanderson and Tom Brands oppose the change and the Hawkeye head coach has released a statement as to why he does not believe that this change is the best thing for the sport.

From the desk of Iowa head coach Tom Brands:

We already have both formats, we have had both formats for years.  Lately there has been a push to legitimize the national duals by changing the format, dates, and qualifying structure.  This change was heralded as the savior and the predictions were that record crowds would attend.  We found out that the attendance was poor at the regionals and below average at the finals.  Is is IMPORTANT to note this, not to throw salt in the wound, but to point out that the new structure was more of a bust then even the past structure when the duals were held in mid-January.  This year Iowa reluctantly attended.  It did not work, now we push to replace one of the most exciting wrestling events in the world with this concept??  What the heck?  For the record: Iowa is opposed!

Comparing successful dual meet crowds with potential for a bonanza at the national duals event is not relevant.  It is a fact that the number of fans are greater for  regular season duals.  The reason for this is that the timing for regular season duals between two wrestling titans is what brings the fervor and creates the interest from the fans.  It has been proven that the national duals does not duplicate that fervor.  For example:  Iowa v. Okla St brought more fans in the regular season dual in 2011 and 2012 (2011: in Stillwater;  2012: in Iowa City) then the championship finals of the national duals in this years format.  Look at the numbers.  Nor will ESPN create fervor with a television agreement.  Empty seats in the background on national tv is not fun to watch.  No empty seats at the NCAA Tournament creates a wrestling event made for television that keeps getting better.  We have to create the buzz, the fervor, the excitement before we change a great thing.  Shooting from the hip and changing just to change is backwards.

We have tried the new format, we have tried new timing, new structure, new qualifying, new locations.  It does not work well enough yet. None of these issues has been figured out well enough to run the national duals at a high level, let alone replace the NCAA Division 1 National Tournament.  And we still push this agenda??

Solution: Continue to try to figure out a way an exciting dual champion can be crowned that is best for the sport and all the programs.  Keep tweaking, keep working, keep at it until we get it right.  Get a consensus among the majority. Are you going to tell your wrestlers bonus points do not matter anymore?  You take the team race out the NCAA tournament, it will gravitate to mediocre. We have got to keep the NCAA Tournament as it is.

NCAA Cabinet rejects the proposal and sends it back to the committee per Cael Sanderson's twitter.

Back to the drawing board, adjust a few of the finer points to be more helpful to more of its wrestling members, and get around a 2/3 majority and I would say the NCAA may accept the Dual proposal.  Until then I don't believe it's worth asking the NCAA to approve it.

Back to the drawing board, adjust a few of the finer points to be more helpful to more of its wrestling members, and get around a 2/3 majority and I would say the NCAA may accept the Dual proposal.  Until then I don't believe it's not worth asking the NCAA to approve it.

The problem appears to be that the NWCA was forced into moving forward. They were comfortable with tabling the proposal but the NCAA told them they may not get another shot at it. Plus when you throw in ESPN, that puts alot of pressure on the NWCA. That's what I've gathered.

I agree, but I can't fault the NWCA for acting. If the NCAA says you need to move forward with this proposal, then I think that's what needed to be done. D1 wrestling is in a fragile state and these opportunities need to be taken advantage of.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.