Great Story - Matt Yatsko - Milan

TripleB

I help coach soccer over in Switzerland County. Process that so I can move on, yes TripleB is a soccer coach.

Anyway tonight we played Milan. I saw one of their players walking across the field and his walk and how he carried himself just screamed wrestler. During player intros I heard his name and it clicked with me. Yatsko.

I approached him after the game, we chatted wrestling a little bit, and then he turned away and started talking with switzerland county wrestlers when I heard him say "Im not wrestling this year" that statement caught my attention. Then I heard his reasoning and I became a fan of Matt Yatsko.

He went into an explanation of how Milan had recently got a nice, big, new wrestling room. This room cane at the expense of the special education population @ Milan. They got kicked out so the wrestling room could have their new digs.  Matt was really upset by this. He finally went to administration and told them that the special education students shouldn't be forced out at the expense of the wrestling team. He then went on to say that if the special education students didn't come out ahead, he was quitting. He couldn't stomach the thought of gaining something while those students were losing out on an education.

I was flabbergasted....speechless. Here was this kid, he's wrestled 14 yrs, his team is going to team state and none of that matters, wow! He cares so much about a population that is often pushed to the back burner that he's willing to quit a sport that he's done his whole life.

Being a special educator, I extended my hand and thanked him for being a great person.

I asked him to share this story and he said sure.

What's even more phenomenal about Matt Yatsko? He's not out for publicity or recognition. He just cares about his fellow students!

Hats off to you Matt Yatsko, you've got a great future in front of you!

TripleB,

Matt Yatsko is my son. I want to thank you for writing such kind things about him. I am proud of his decision. As he said in his post, he doesn't blame his team, but the administration for this turn of events. Walking away was just his way of showing support to the special education program. MattM, the special needs parents and teachers did come out for the school board meeting and speak up for their children, but at this juncture, things have not changed.

Matt has taken some flack for this decision here and there, but he has stood strong. I'm proud of him.

Thanks again!

FROM THE SCHOOL BOARD MINUTES:

The Board of School Trustees met in regular session at 7:10 p.m. on Monday, July 9,

2012. Attending were Board members Gregory Lewis, Edward Amberger, Timothy Tuttle, and Randy Kirk. Also attending was Superintendent Dr. Thomas Reale. Board president Timothy Tuttle presided. The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance?...

Comments from Patrons/Staff:

Several parents of special needs students were present to express their concerns about the recent renovations at the high school and middle school and the moving of Ms. Amelung?s special needs classroom. They also had questions about who was paying for the renovations; cameras on the special needs buses; and parent rights. Mr. Tuttle stated the Board would take all comments under advisement. Mr. Eaton informed the audience that the Board had an agenda and could only act on agenda items. Mr. Eaton noted his appreciation for the parents? frustration, and stated the Board would base their decisions on the best interests of the overall school situation. Dr. Reale stated the day-to-day management of the schools was up to the building administrators. He noted a

line of communication needed to be established whereby a patron starts at the building level, then to the superintendent and then to the Board if a satisfactory solution is not met. He stated he always takes calls and welcomes visits to his office.

-----  Sounds like if they are adding cameras on special needs buses, and moving the classroom that they are not getting rid of the special needs program? I would like to hear more information from someone from Milan, to get the full story.

ALSO FROM MEETING:

....Mr. Amberger motioned to approve the football position to group II @$3415.00; the drill

team sponsor to group VII @$1338.00, SADD to group IX @$598.00, and Spanish to group X @$352.00.

Seconded by Mr. Lewis. Motion carried 3-0-1 with Mr. Kirk abstaining.

New Business:

Mr. Amberger motioned to approve a resolution to transfer $97000 from the transportation fund

and $32000 from the bus replacement fund to the Rainy Day fund. Seconded by Mr. Lewis. Motion

carried 4-0.

So - It sounds like Money was not the driving factor here by looking at that Rainy Day fund. Perhaps the story is more complex than reported, or we are not getting all of the facts. I would love more information about the situation as mentioned above.

It is not the fact that they are not being provided for.... It is however the fact that they took something nicer and gave it away. I know for a fact that those kids need an "adequate learning space" I have seen what they had and what they have now.... The difference is a big space that was needed by those less fortunate.

I think what this kid is doing is noble but to punish the wrestling team for a decision made by the school board is not only ridiculous but it doesn't make a lick of sense. You're effecting/punishing the group that is not responsible. The school board and administrators couldn't care less what this kid participates in so his actions are moot. If I was a betting man, there is more to this story than what is being presented.

• 3 weeks later...

As Alaskan Mountie said...there is much more to this story as yatzko states. My cousin goes to Milan High School. Sounds to me that yatzco has switched his story in school, blaming the football team first, then blaming the wrestling team and using the subject to get attention, not for the special Ed kids rather for himself. I heard that the wrestling team did not know about the deal nor did they ask to move the special Ed kid?s right?  What a teammate you are to blame the team over a decision made by the administration? The wrestlers had no control over this. Maybe quitting the wrestling team is a good idea; don?t think the team needs somebody selling them out. Our team sure would not keep anyone like this on our roster. According to my source you were not even at the board meeting! There is nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in, but in your case, I agree with Alaskan Mountie, this does sound like your actions are a moot .The special Ed kids still have a great room just not as big.

As Alaskan Mountie said...there is much more to this story as yatzko states. My cousin goes to Milan High School. Sounds to me that yatzco has switched his story in school, blaming the football team first, then blaming the wrestling team and using the subject to get attention, not for the special Ed kids rather for himself. I heard that the wrestling team did not know about the deal nor did they ask to move the special Ed kid?s right?  What a teammate you are to blame the team over a decision made by the administration? The wrestlers had no control over this. Maybe quitting the wrestling team is a good idea; don?t think the team needs somebody selling them out. Our team sure would not keep anyone like this on our roster. According to my source you were not even at the board meeting! There is nothing wrong with standing up for what you believe in, but in your case, I agree with Alaskan Mountie, this does sound like your actions are a moot .The special Ed kids still have a great room just not as big.

It's been stated that the beef isn't with the wrestling team. If you have facts feel free to state names as Mr. Yatsko isn't hiding behind a screen name nor does he stand to gain anything out of this personally.

Mooose so you joined the forum to add you two cents and what you are saying is also second hand knowledge. For you information there is a reply from Matt that you have failed to see in your haste from another topic.

I have been notified that a post was recently put on here regarding Milan High School.... Let me clarify this. The wrestling team was told to do something therefore they did it and there is nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is what THE SCHOOL BOARD did. It was in no way the wrestling organization's fault. They simply did what they were told.