Sliga and Miracle at Cadet Worlds

Y2CJ41

As a side note, further evidence for our need for creative solutions for Greco development: We have one guy going for bronze at Cadet Worlds.  None of the other 9 even wrestled a repechage match.

As a side note, further evidence for our need for creative solutions for Greco development: We have one guy going for bronze at Cadet Worlds.  None of the other 9 even wrestled a repechage match.

We are not even close on the world scale in greco. We are pathetic. Azerbaijan was dominant.! Georgia was a distant second in my mind. Then again, in those countries when identified as a wrestler you get selected to go to their "Sports School". You then train in greco or freestyle. A world medal on the Cadet level is supposedly worth $10,000 minat which equals about 12,500 U.S. dollars. They also then move your family close to the sports school. Nice incentive huh? So you train in one style with no folkstyle interference, have a serious incentive package, the government provides schooling and world class coaches, and your country adores you as a hero. It will be very tough for us to compete with the rest of the world until there is a paradigm shift in the U.S. and those that lead U.S. Wrestling.

So you train in one style with no folkstyle interference

Nobody is forcing your kid to wrestle during the H.S. season so pull her out if it's too big of a burden on her.  Frankly, I get tired of you coming on here complaining about Folkstyle.  Move to one of those countries you so adore for their international training programs.  Then come talk to me in 5 years and tell me how great it was.

I agree one hundred percent with 1oldwrestler...grecco and freestyle are ok but since folkstyle is what is used in highschool and college its not going anywhere you can choose to wrestle just international style ala henry cejudo....when it comes to grecco its always been a much less cared about style almost an after thought to freestyle for a majority of states and programs

Woot! Woot!

We tried to start the world series of the world in baseball, but after getting smoked..that ended...fast...

World Baseball Challenge. Started web baseball was dropped from Olympics.  Being held in every 4 years, with next in 2013.  So far it's been located in US.  Japan has won the first two events and beat us along the way.  US finished 8th the first time and 4th the second.

I just don't understand this need  push the international styles realistically  shouldn't we be supporting the college programs more  so that our kids can have an opportunity to not only wrestle at that an elite level but to also grow as humans and pursue a great education to help them excel in e job world. From what I'm told and have seen Iswa and USA wrestling use their earnings to support the Olympic team  while programs like myway and hyway are giving that money to local colleges' programs I know I'm gonna get my butt chewed on this but it blows my mind that we chose to support the maybe 12 guys that aren't even from our state instead of supporting the local schools that can give your kids a cheap education.

Folkstyle/Freestyle/Greco doesn't have to be a us vs them mentality.  That's my issue. 

I dont disagree (im in fabios camp more than yours, truth be told), anything that gets a kid on the mat.  I think on the international level, were pretty darn competitive.  Can we improve?  Sure.  However, to compare us to former Soviet Eastern Block countries and their programs, well, in your words, this is Merica.  We dont function like that in any sports developmental programs.  As a parent you, not the government, seek out advanced training for your kid.  Someone earlier mentioned Cejudo.  Do what he did if youre that jacked to win an olympic medal.  Or, function in the folkstyle environment like most of our olympians and win a gold going that route. 

Folkstyle/Freestyle/Greco doesn't have to be a us vs them mentality.  That's my issue. 

I agree.  I think there are solutions out there that would allow us to have our cake and eat a little bit of it too.  The questions in my mind are not "how do we get kids to ignore folkstyle?" or "how do we diminish the importance of NCAA accomplishments?"    My questions are more like, "how can we use existing wrestling structures and entities to promote growth across all 3 platforms?" and "how can we diminish the barriers between the 3 platforms in ways that kids that are investing in improvement in one skill-set can expect to see benefits to their development in the other styles?"

Might seem like ancient history these days, but topic worthy. Indiana had another Cadet World medalist in Greco as well at the Cadet Worlds. Cathedral's Matt Hasbrook lost in the finals in South Africa for a silver medal in 1998 to a wrestler from the republic of Georgia.

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=2969

A fantastic accomplishment for Sliga and Kayla even getting to compete in this event.

I agree.  I think there are solutions out there that would allow us to have our cake and eat a little bit of it too.  The questions in my mind are not "how do we get kids to ignore folkstyle?" or "how do we diminish the importance of NCAA accomplishments?"    My questions are more like, "how can we use existing wrestling structures and entities to promote growth across all 3 platforms?" and "how can we diminish the barriers between the 3 platforms in ways that kids that are investing in improvement in one skill-set can expect to see benefits to their development in the other styles?"

The solution for that is to implement more affordable tournaments in these styles at higher and higher levels...the only college level international tournament available is the University Nationals many kids who know that they are not the best in FS an GR are not going to just go travel and pay to compete in a National Level Tournament if your just going to get crushed we are college kids we cant afford that. If there was a University Freestyle season or GR season where you can get 10-20 extra matches you might have more wrestlers  willing to participate but the logistics of 3 seperate College seasons would be insane. 

Again for me personally I just know that as i was nearing my college graduation I began to realize that I was almost $100K  in debt...fiscally there is no way I could have afforded to take the time to train at the level neccesary to accomodate that kind of success. If USA Wrestling was willing to pay of my Loan payments while i was training that route may have been more appealing to me. Again just my personal anecdote. Sorry for this post being all over the place ADD is just eating me up right now :P.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.