freestyle state

charger.dad

i think i may also have to do with all the freakin rule changes every year........i like the old school freestyle.....today it just seems too watered down with push out points and 6-0 tech falls, i mean there is no time to wrestle with these new rules.....just my opinion

I liked the old rules as well but I doubt the rule change is why kids aren't doing it.  Most of them don't know any different.

I didn't say lack of promotion was the decline of freestyle but that there needs to be some now. we need coaches and wrestling parents to encourage athletes to compete. The decline is due to other spring sports , many more folk style tournaments to compete in , and the rule changes which may have been implemented a few years ago but would bet that is when there started a big decline in participation and has rapidly declined ever since. I completely disagree that serious wrestling families have an issue paying 35 bucks for the states premier tournaments .

oh yeah you better check you r stats on gymnastics participation .  it rivals wrestling.

daddio,

Same boat as us, Jacob broke his wrist last night at practice, it was nasty, had to go to the ER and get it re-set. I was just about to register him on trackwrestling too! It saved me some money. Now I can put the hotel/registration money toward the medical bills, LOL.

Some great matchups this weekend! Cadet 106-Hughes, Hudkins, and Coy. Cadet 113-Micic, Boston, and Cash. Cadet 120-James, Harvey. Cadet 126-very low numbers, not sure about this one. Cadet 132-Champagne, Schurg.

Good luck to all!!! We will miss being there, we haven't missed freestyle state in probably 11 years or so...since Jake started as a PeeWee.

A big shout out to all of the fellow RWA wrestlers! Get after it!!!

Yea lack of advertising and promotion  is the reason Freestyle is not thriving in Indiana.  Come on really?  I can agree with the Folkstyle push about 10-15 years in the state has helped the decline of Freestyle and Greco, but not Promoting.  As far as Cost for Gymnastics and Hockey yea so?  That why those sports don't have high particiaption it cost too darn much.  For those of you who think cost isn't a factor There is some beachfront property I want to sell in the Indy area.

Oh and thanks for the boo points :)

The cost of entry to state finals in Indiana is primarily due to the additional cost of holding Freestyle and Greco on separate week-ends. The reason FS State is held on two separate days is to shorten the length of the tournament each day and to allow Cadet wrestlers to also participate in the Junior competition, if they so desire.  Greco is held on a separate week-end because many of our coaches feel that wrestling both Freestyle and Greco on the same week-end is too difficult, especially for Schoolboy, Cadet and Junior wrestlers. The $70 late fee is in place to encourage everyone to pre-register, not to generate more income.

Also, in regard to revenue, Wisconsin charges $35 for competitor's membership and Indiana charges $30 (if purchased by mail or through a club or at an RTC). That's an extra $45,000 that Wisconsin generates through membership that Indiana does not. They also require all coaches to have a USA Wrestling Coach's membership in order to be on the floor to coach their wrestler. Indiana only requires a Copper certification (one time $35.00 cost) to be at matside.

I think it is somewhat unfair to compare just the entry fees. You have to look at how each state generates income. In talking with many of the states at the Annual State Chair's meeting, I learned that the majority of the states take $1 to $2 per wrestler in entry fees from all local tournaments. ISWA only charges $150.00 and the tournaments are allowed to keep all revenue generated from their event.

I just wanted to point out that the costs are different for each state depending on how they choose to generate income.

This will be the first yr austin wont be competing in 12 yrs:( prom is the same night, guess you have to let them be kids  when they want.

Freestyle state was a great excuse (to mom) for me to not attend Prom. Though I got drug into it my senior year.

799 total participants.... 

down from 877 last year...

but there will still be some great wrestling this weekend...  good luck to all

I really hope we do a true-2nd match for ALL weights and age divisions.  Someone said there will only be true-2nd for Schoolboy because of the national team spots going to the top 2.  However, with our very low registration numbers and usage of line bracketing, I think a true-2nd match is all the more important.  As it stands right now, a lot of children will go all the way to Indy for this tournament and will only get maybe 2 matches because there are only 3 or 4 kids in their weight class.  We certainly have the time to do a true-2nd match with our low numbers.  And it will give our kids a better chance of getting at least one more match.  I really hope our pairings folk consider going with a true-2nd this weekend.

This was the first season that the state of wisconsin used the all coaches had to have usa card.  That money didn't go to the state that went to USA Wrestling.  Actually Wisconsin took a hit because they used to chargd those coaches 10.00 to get a wristband to coach.  With USA card those folks now get in free.

Yes Tom serious wrestling people will continue to go, however is that all we care about is the serious wrestler?  I hope not or our sport will surley die.

The Extra money Wisconsin makes on card sells isn't set aside for a rainey day it is use to make the Fargo trips and Duals around $500.00 combined. My numbers may be a little off but I know im really close.

This was the first season that the state of wisconsin used the all coaches had to have usa card.  That money didn't go to the state that went to USA Wrestling.  Actually Wisconsin took a hit because they used to chargd those coaches 10.00 to get a wristband to coach.  With USA card those folks now get in free.

Yes Tom serious wrestling people will continue to go, however is that all we care about is the serious wrestler?  I hope not or our sport will surley die.

The Extra money Wisconsin makes on card sells isn't set aside for a rainey day it is use to make the Fargo trips and Duals around $500.00 combined. My numbers may be a little off but I know im really close.

USA Wrestling never keeps all the money from card sales. USA Wrestling keeps 23.25 of the cost and a check for the remaining amount is sent to the state each month.

At all ISWA state events, coaches who have a USA Coach's membership are also admitted free of charge.  ISWA money is not set aside for a rainy day, if that is what you meant to imply. As I have stated in the past, a minimum of $36,000 is put in a fund each year to offset the cost of Team Indiana trips.  My post was made to point out that each state is somewhat different, not to debate the pros and cons of  Indiana vs Wisconsin.

I  wasn't implying anything about The state of Indiana.  My point is $35.00 for a family that may not be "serious" wrestler is a lot of money.  Gas prices, hotel stay, spectator fee, Food.  I am just saying that it gets to be costly, then to top it off you charge $70.00 for Late Registrants?  That more than anything is what I really don't get.  I get that a couple hundred Late signups can slow things down, but I think the Cons for having this late fee outweigh anything postive for having it.

I  wasn't implying anything about The state of Indiana.  My point is $35.00 for a family that may not be "serious" wrestler is a lot of money.  Gas prices, hotel stay, spectator fee, Food.  I am just saying that it gets to be costly, then to top it off you charge $70.00 for Late Registrants?  That more than anything is what I really don't get.   I get that a couple hundred Late signups can slow things down, but I think the Cons for having this late fee outweigh anything postive for having it.

I disagree.  The $70 late fee is a proven success.  It forces people to get there act together and register on time.  It also reduces the game playing for crazies who force young kids to cut weight cause they think a lower weight is easier.

Proven?  facts?  So to get after the "crazy" parents as you called them you jack up the price so that if someone simply didn't register on time and doesn't have an ulterior motive.  Not everyone has an agenda.  But I guess.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a penalty for late signups.  However 70.00 doesn't only encourage one not to sign up late it also encourages those folks who honestly miss the signups not to even come. Which lowers the numbers.  I just think the 70 fee is steep even for a rich guy like you Joe :)

I truly think the reasoning behind lack of numbers in Freestyle and Greco are due in large part to all year around Folkstyle opportunities.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a penalty for late signups.  However 70.00 doesn't only encourage one not to sign up late it also encourages those folks who honestly miss the signups not to even come. Which lowers the numbers.  I just think the 70 fee is steep even for a rich guy like you Joe :)

I truly think the reasoning behind lack of numbers in Freestyle and Greco are due in large part to all year around Folkstyle opportunities.

The reason it was put in that way was because previously it stated no walk-ups were allowed.  However, people would come in begging to wrestle with about 25 different excuses of why they couldn't register online.  Then you put the tournament administrators in a poor spot to let the kid wrestle or not.  So the board decided that they wanted to still allow walk-ups, but to highly discourage them.

113.....wow.....boston, micic and cash......who's gonna have bragging rights on this one?.....flip the coin in my opinion.....

Micic is not wrestling.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.