freestyle state

charger.dad

was just looking at the wrestling list as to who has signed up for freestyle state next weekend......now i know that you always get a last minute rush of people signing up the last day but the numbers seem EXTREMELY low at this time....and to see all of  the freestyle tournaments that have gotten cancelled this spring.....what the heck is going on?.....is there a chance that freestyle state would be cancelled if the numbers don't go up?

Way early check back the day of or before registration ends.  Most kids/parents were focused in in this weekends events, so look more of an increase as their club talks about State this week.  Numbers may be low but there won't cancel since the events already been organized, school reserved, and they also have to figure out qualifiers for the National events regardless of the talent that does or doesn't show at each age and weight.  

Way early check back the day of or before registration ends.  Most kids/parents were focused in in this weekends events, so look more of an increase as their club talks about State this week.  Numbers may be low but there won't cancel since the events already been organized, school reserved, and they also have to figure out qualifiers for the National events regardless of the talent that does or doesn't show at each age and weight.  

i agree that there is still time left but with only 33 kids signed and only 4 days to go, i wonder how well the attendance will be....what is the normal number that participate in this tournament?

It is like this every year.  The day before and the last day you sill see hundred register.  I know I don't register my boys until the last minute because you have to pre-pay and you never know what silly thing a boy is going to do to get himself injured or grounded for that matter.  So, instead of registering them early and being out the money if they do get injured, I just wait until the last minute.  Tuck em in bed at 10 pm and then register them and hope that Justice doesn't fall out of bed in the middle of the night and hit his head.  LOL

It is like this every year.  The day before and the last day you sill see hundred register.  I know I don't register my boys until the last minute because you have to pre-pay and you never know what silly thing a boy is going to do to get himself injured or grounded for that matter.  So, instead of registering them early and being out the money if they do get injured, I just wait until the last minute.  Tuck em in bed at 10 pm and then register them and hope that Justice doesn't fall out of bed in the middle of the night and hit his head.  LOL

now that is great thinking.......lol...

as of wednesday morning the number was 189.....

I expect a lot of entries tonight and tomorrow....  not sure though if it will reach the 800 level though...  i hope it does

How many Indiana wrestlers are going to these duals? Are they missing freestyle state to continue wrestling folkstyle? Just curious...

As of now 350+ are registered which is a spike but still low. Thoughts?

I still have to ask why does it cost $35.00 for 1 style?  $70.00 for late registration?  talk about cutting ones throat.  It cost me $35.00 dollars to have my child wrestle in both styles last year.  Will cost$42.00 dollars for both styles this year due to they moved the state meet to Chula Vista in the Dells.  Its Still a lot cheaper.  Why does it cost so much in Indiana?

Tim

I still have to ask why does it cost $35.00 for 1 style?  $70.00 for late registration?  talk about cutting ones throat.  It cost me $35.00 dollars to have my child wrestle in both styles last year.  Will cost$42.00 dollars for both styles this year due to they moved the state meet to Chula Vista in the Dells.  Its Still a lot cheaper.  Why does it cost so much in Indiana?

Tim

I believe it is because of cost of venue, awards, and other various expenses.

If you add in our third style, then it is over $100.00 to wrestle in all three state tournaments.  As a father of two girls who have done dance and are curently doing travel softball, I will say that wrestling is by far the cheaper of the activities.

Numbers have to been down because of the extended Folkstyle season for a bunch of young kids. Most sports don't draw out for 7 months like wrestling can. Most last 3-4 months at most. These kids have short attention spans and we are extending the season longer and longer. Once the weather turns nice, those attentions spans head straight outdoors. They also get so used to Folkstyle many are very leary of going into Freestyle.

Maybe they should start a beach wrestling state tournament. Today's weather would be great for one.

Has anyone seen how much it cost to compete in a non sanctioned , held in host club gymnastics meet? I think it was around 35.00 plus 10.00 an adult to watch .  I use to think wrestling was expensive. Then there is hockey. I don't think the cost of the tournament has anything to do with the number of participants. The wrestling community as a whole need to figure out a way to to promote and generate some excitement with freestyle / greco . Most people stay away from what they don't understand . I am a fan of all 3 styles and don't want to see one scratch out the other . I hope we get more interest in freestyle before it disappears.

Yea lack of advertising and promotion  is the reason Freestyle is not thriving in Indiana.  Come on really?  I can agree with the Folkstyle push about 10-15 years in the state has helped the decline of Freestyle and Greco, but not Promoting.  As far as Cost for Gymnastics and Hockey yea so?  That why those sports don't have high particiaption it cost too darn much.  For those of you who think cost isn't a factor There is some beachfront property I want to sell in the Indy area.

Oh and thanks for the boo points :)

The powers to be need to figure it out! Like all sports wrestling is a seasonal sport. The big numbers come from novice down, almost all little boys play baseball in the spring. Freestyle and Greco are dying  you cant keep sugar coating it.  I can?t remember how many tournaments that were canceled this year to lack of numbers. The only tournaments that went on had three styles and folkstyle was the one that made the tournament run, while freestyle and greco were 10.00 dollar medal give away for showing up. Folkstyle wrestling is what the United States is all about we all wrestle folkstyle from peewee to college.

i think i may also have to do with all the freakin rule changes every year........i like the old school freestyle.....today it just seems too watered down with push out points and 6-0 tech falls, i mean there is no time to wrestle with these new rules.....just my opinion

i think i may also have to do with all the freakin rule changes every year........i like the old school freestyle.....today it just seems too watered down with push out points and 6-0 tech falls, i mean there is no time to wrestle with these new rules.....just my opinion

What changes have there been in the last 8 years in freestyle?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.