Scholastic Duals

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IL HWT jumps out to a big lead then went conservative to secure the team win.  IL Navy 33 IN Gold 24.  As mentioned early several one move matches that could have easily swung either way.

Match Summary  INB  ING 

106 Tommy Cash (Indiana Blue) over Hayden Lee (Indiana Gold) Maj 10-2 4.00 0

113 Brandon James (Indiana Blue) over Schuyler Phillips (Indiana Gold) Dec 2-0 3.00 0

120 Luke Welch (Indiana Gold) over Blake Denton (Indiana Blue) Maj 12-4 0 4.00

126 Cody LeCount (Indiana Gold) over Nick Crume (Indiana Blue) Pin 5:20 0 6.00

132 Levi Moss (Indiana Blue) over Luke Blanton (Indiana Gold) Forf  6.00 0

138 Brandon Kelley (Indiana Blue) over Josh Farrell (Indiana Gold) Dec 10-7 3.00 0

145 Vinny Corsaro (Indiana Gold) over Blake Giffin (Indiana Blue) Dec 12-6 0 3.00

152 Isaiah Bradley (Indiana Gold) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf  0 6.00

160 Bobby Steveson (Indiana Gold) over Seth Seitzinger (Indiana Blue) Maj 21-12 0 4.00

170 Jake Massengale (Indiana Gold) over Tanner Adams (Indiana Blue) OT 4-2 0 3.00

182 Matt Hurford (Indiana Gold) over Brad Busse (Indiana Blue) Dec 8-5 0 3.00

195 Jacob Lumpkin (Indiana Gold) over Ty Webster (Indiana Blue) Pin 3:50 0 6.00

220 Gelen Robinson (Gold) leads 5-1 over Jared Boehm (Blue)

Match Summary  INB  ING 

106 Tommy Cash (Indiana Blue) over Hayden Lee (Indiana Gold) Maj 10-2 4.00 0

113 Brandon James (Indiana Blue) over Schuyler Phillips (Indiana Gold) Dec 2-0 3.00 0

120 Luke Welch (Indiana Gold) over Blake Denton (Indiana Blue) Maj 12-4 0 4.00

126 Cody LeCount (Indiana Gold) over Nick Crume (Indiana Blue) Pin 5:20 0 6.00

132 Levi Moss (Indiana Blue) over Luke Blanton (Indiana Gold) Forf  6.00 0

138 Brandon Kelley (Indiana Blue) over Josh Farrell (Indiana Gold) Dec 10-7 3.00 0

145 Vinny Corsaro (Indiana Gold) over Blake Giffin (Indiana Blue) Dec 12-6 0 3.00

152 Isaiah Bradley (Indiana Gold) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf  0 6.00

160 Bobby Steveson (Indiana Gold) over Seth Seitzinger (Indiana Blue) Maj 21-12 0 4.00

170 Jake Massengale (Indiana Gold) over Tanner Adams (Indiana Blue) OT 4-2 0 3.00

182 Matt Hurford (Indiana Gold) over Brad Busse (Indiana Blue) Dec 8-5 0 3.00

195 Jacob Lumpkin (Indiana Gold) over Ty Webster (Indiana Blue) Pin 3:50 0 6.00

220 Gelen Robinson (Gold) leads 5-1 over Jared Boehm (Blue)

man major by Cash

Hey Zach, do you know the actual results from IN Blue's matches this round? Trackwrestling is all messed up, showing a bunch of pins. I was away from the mat for most of this round, so I  can't correct the scores myself.  TW shows Blue down 30-9, but it shows Giffin being pinned (he was teched), Crume being pinned (think he actually won) and Blackwell pinning James, which is also not correct. KY is winning, but they're not out in front like TW shows. Blue will have to really make hay in the upper weights, where they are favored, or they are going to lose.

BTW, Blackwell beat nationally ranked Northrup earlier this morning and very, very nearly beat nationally ranked Duda yesterday. He's really good. Ervin is really good, too--likely a MOW strong candidate.

I believe Isaiah wrapped up an unbeaten tourney and I think he was Gold's only unbeaten wrestler. He was their candidate for Most Oustanding Wrestler.

Blue's candidate was Tommy Cash, also unbeaten.

Dante Winfield also finished the tourney undefeated. Devin Broukal as well.

Tre Blackwelll from Kentucky pins B. James.  Wonder what the score was before the pin? 

Blackwell did win Mater Dei I believe

Blackwell did not wrestle at Mater Dei in 2011, as he was injured. He was there, however, in 2010 and I believe wrestled Wyatt Seng, MD, in the finals.

They haven't started yet, but I was just informed that Illinois' 132 (sorry for the incorrect info earlier, I have confirmed it was 4th place finisher Michael Sepke) was hit by a car last night outside the venue and is in Indianapolis today for surgery to repair an injury to his pelvis. Obviously, everyone's thoughts are with the wrestler and his family. Hope everything goes well for him today.

I spoke to an Illinois parent this afternoon and he advised that Michael's pelvis was completely shattered, and was surgically repaired with a plate, pins, screws, and lots of stitches. He is wrestling "comfortably" at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where he will remain another 4-5 days. The driver of the mini van was not found to be at fault, and the front of his vehicle looked as if he had hit a deer according to the witnesses.

Michael was crossing US Hwy 231 near I-74, as he was returning to the hotel from the Burger King across the street. Both Michael and the driver were in shock at the scene, and the driver was also transported to the hospital where he was later released. The doctor's allegedly stated that Michael was extremely lucky to have survived the accident. This information, of course, is all second hand from the parent of another Illinois team member. Good luck to Michael!

I know I have seen before that not everyone follows youth scene as closly as those with kids involved in it but I am a bit shocked that so many people are surprised by Tommy Cash this kid has been busting his butt since he was 5-6 yrs. old, he has trained with anybody and everybody. He lost to Boston 2-0 if I remember right at New Castle SS finals and only finished 5th because of the way they set up state (lost to Micic first round Sat) He will win at least one before it is over. also has done very well on National scene just placed @ Iowa Folkstyle Nat. beating an Ill. champ and losing to Ohio state champ. You want to know who THE up and comers for next year check out your ISWA book kids who names repeat at all styles and every year over and over are the ones with the background to do big things in HS. not saying some come out of the blue cause they do but the ISWA is doing a great job of giving the kids who WANT TO every chance to compete and improve. Tommy Cash is a STUD. has been a pleasure watching this kid grow into a young man. Good Luck Tommy you know we are always in your corner except in the first round, cause that's where we always seem to draw you!!!LOL    Lee Harris Avon Wrestling Club

It was my first time attending the Scholastic Duals.  First impression is that Wabash College was a great facility and a great place to hold a tournament. 

The wrestling was very good.  Many peoplemsaid it was down a little bit but there was still a lot of great wrestling and some great matches.

Indiana has some very talented underclassmen and all four teams performed really well.

I want to throw a couple names out there.  We had a lot of kids wrestle through pain at one time or another this weekend, but the heart of Brandon Kelley impressed me and everyone else in the stands.  That young man was in obvious pain from the 1st whistle to the last but did not let up for even one scramble and he is a crazy good scrambler.  He has the heart of a true warrior and I am sure it will take him far.  Also, Luke Welch has some serious skills!  He was a lot of fun to watch.  Blake Denton is another young up and comer.  He faught through a unbelievably tough 120# weight class and gave it all he had.  Look for him to be back in the mix next year.  I know out of the 28 wrestlers between the gold and blue teams, 11 are young enough to wrestle on the team next year.

I also want to say thank you to all those who had the kind words about my skinny little bowlegged guy.  He thought that was hilarious and was very happy to hear that so many people enjoyed watching him have fun this weekend. I know he will work very hard to earn the opprotunity to represent our state again next year.

The food was crazy good.  Thanks to Chris Lynch for doing it up right at the consessions.

On a side note...I will be taking a high school team to the Grand River Rumble in Battle Creek Michigan on July 22nd.  I would love to have any of the boys on these Indiana teams this weekend come and wrestle with us.  If anyone is interested in getting some summer duals in. Please shoot me an e-mail with your name and weight and I will get back to you.  cashmom2x@gmail.com

Brandi Cash

I would like to hear more how the LeCount vs Crume match went. Cody is really wrestling good.

Finally caught it on youtube. Scoreless going into the second. Cody gets an escape and takedown to lead 3-0 going into the third. Neutral in the 3rd, Cody gets a high single, trips Nick back and falls into a wicked cradle for the pin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.