tsirtsis brothers

fay

Bailey with great defense and a end of match score was able to hold Tsirtsis off and win in 3 periods.  Jason will finish in 4th.  Great showing for a high school student and hints of things to come from him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bailey with great defense and a end of match score was able to hold Tsirtsis off and win in 3 periods.  Jason will finish in 4th.  Great showing for a high school student and hints of things to come from him.

It sure is.  Great defense and a great bit of doing nothing (other than the one shot at the end of the 3rd to score) in the 2nd and the 3rd.  Looked like Jason got caught heavy on his front foot like he did against Johnston.

A great showing by Jason.  He's got a very bright future in college and future world competition.   It was fun to watch him today.

So Bailey and Johnston (Tsirtsis' two losses) are essentially 1st and 2nd since Kolat was already a qualifier.  Since Tsirtsis was essentially on the bubble as a high school student against all experienced college grads, I'd have to think he would be a very attractive wildcard candidate for the Trials.  There are 2 wildcards in freestyle still to be handed out.

So Bailey and Johnston (Tsirtsis' two losses) are essentially 1st and 2nd since Kolat was already a qualifier.  Since Tsirtsis was essentially on the bubble as a high school student against all experienced college grads, I'd have to think he would be a very attractive wildcard candidate for the Trials.  There are 2 wildcards in freestyle still to be handed out.

Zeke Jones has mentioned in a previous interview that the OTT is not an event to help wrestlers gain experience and the wildcard will be distributed to people he feels has a shot of making the team.  Though he did hand out quite a few more than I though to the NCAA guys a few weeks back.  I would expect they are saving the last two in case for some fluke reason one of their top prospect ends up with a bad draw or bad luck and was unable to qualify at this last event. 

Still, as an improving-by-the-moment teenager that's an intriguing unknown quantity at this level, I'd think he'll get some consideration because he showed he can score against anyone.  Anyone else not-yet qualified will probably be already established further down the pecking order.

I was fortunate enough to watch the Tsirtsis brothers today at the UNIDOME. I have to say that I am so proud to be a part of their organization, leadership, and vision. Both brothers are wonderful examples to my son and they have helped him tremendously. Thanks Alex and Jason! You guys are class acts!!!

On another note, it was the WHO'S WHO of wrestling in Cedar Falls at the USAW Folkstyle Nationals. I was standing there matside watching Jason Tsirtsis defeat Darion Caldwell all the while Cael Sanderson was standing adjacent to me talking to Kevin Jackson. Next to them was Barry Davis. The list goes on and on...it was like wrestling heaven for a person like me! LOL-----good stuff!

On another note, it was the WHO'S WHO of wrestling in Cedar Falls at the USAW Folkstyle Nationals. I was standing there matside watching Jason Tsirtsis defeat Darion Caldwell all the while Cael Sanderson was standing adjacent to me talking to Kevin Jackson. Next to them was Barry Davis. The list goes on and on...it was like wrestling heaven for a person like me! LOL-----good stuff!

Glad you enjoyed the experience lpd.  When I attended the WTT and OTT when they were in Indy in the early 2000's it felt the same way.  You had all sorts of wrestling stars and legends not only in view but many between bouts were sitting in the crowd right long side you. I had an opportunity to talk with or personally congratulate several finalists, Olympians, and/or their coaches that weekend.   A neat atmosphere that not a lot of other sports have.  

That's exactly what I told my son, in our sport unlike the major sports i.e. football, basketball, etc. you can actually get up close to your heroes. You would never be  able to do that with LeBron james or Peyton Manning. In wrestling, you can stand next to NCAA and Olympic Champions and have a conversation. It's pretty cool.

I agree great seeing Alex back on the mat was great.  Hope he continues and this was not just a one and done.  There was a real possibility that they could have wrestled (Jason and Alex).  That would have been great, Jason in interviews always says Alex beats him.  Wow Jason was great today, had Johnston beat.  Great day of wrestling.  I think Jason could compete for a national title next year, but hope he redshirts and is a 4 time AA. I think Alex could compete with the best at 145 if he trained full time.

I agree great seeing Alex back on the mat was great.  Hope he continues and this was not just a one and done.  There was a real possibility that they could have wrestled (Jason and Alex).  That would have been great, Jason in interviews always says Alex beats him.  Wow Jason was great today, had Johnston beat.  Great day of wrestling.  I think Jason could compete for a national title next year, but hope he redshirts and is a 4 time AA. I think Alex could compete with the best at 145 if he trained full time.

I'm guessing he won't redshirt until the 2015-16 Olympic season, meaning he would wrestle as a true freshman/sophomore/junior and come back for his fifth year as a senior.  He was a monster yesterday.  He'll clearly be an NCAA title contender next season as a freshman.

I'm guessing he won't redshirt until the 2015-16 Olympic season, meaning he would wrestle as a true freshman/sophomore/junior and come back for his fifth year as a senior.  He was a monster yesterday.  He'll clearly be an NCAA title contender next season as a freshman.

Well technically he would have a regular redshirt and based on his performance this weekend is in route to easily getting a Olympic redshirt too in a few years.  So if he and his coaches were interested they could use both of those.  Depending on Jason's field of study having the additional years could help him get the through his program on Northwesterns dime, as well.  Though Jason is very college ready I always feel a first year redshirt is sometimes best to get freshman acclimated to their environment both as students and as athletes.  It would seems in some cases (not all) that throwing guys out their freshman year has hindered them early on in their college careers.  Obviously, some of it comes down to where NW need him in the line up and who is or isn't there currently too.

Ok, I didn't realize before that guys could take a 'normal' redshirt and an Olympic redshirt.

The Olympic redshirts are awarded so not everyone that wants can just take them.  You also could also apply for a medical hardship redshirt due to a major injury, as well.  Not sure how many people have ran that tri-fecta, but all three option would make for a very long and extended college career.

I was fortunate enough to watch the Tsirtsis brothers today at the UNIDOME. I have to say that I am so proud to be a part of their organization, leadership, and vision. Both brothers are wonderful examples to my son and they have helped him tremendously. Thanks Alex and Jason! You guys are class acts!!!

I, too, had the opportunity to watch Jason and Alex wrestle this weekend, as I was in Cedar Falls to officiate the National Folkstyle championships. Lots of great wrestling on both the Folkstyle and Freestyle side of things. Jason looked great, and Alex was very impressive after being away from competition for about three years. There were indeed lots of great wrestlers and coaches present, including Dan Gable himself!

Also, when we left around noon today Daniel Bedoy was still alive in the Greco tournament, having gone 2-1 when I last spoke to him. The most famous person I saw, however, was probably the one and only J-U-L-I-O  :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.