Jordan Oliver - Worst Call in finals ever?

I didn't really see anything about this on the board -

Did anyone else think Jordan Oliver was screwed with a terrible call of No takedown to ruin his chances at a 2012 National Title  - or good no call?

I vote - Screwed  - If this had been on the edge of the mat - would have been 2. So, why not in the center of the mat?

Match Below -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg12FJr40jE

If this had been on the edge of the mat - would have been 2. So, why not in the center of the mat?

Or should we ask the reserve if this.  If it's not 2 in the center of the mat, why does a similar situation become 2 just became it happens going out of bounds.  If its the right call or not seems a takedown should be scored the same in all cases.

Some people are saying its a wash anyway since Stieber should have got a TD call near the end of the 1st period, since he had covered the hips and Oliver was resting on his hands for a moments before scrambling out.  I guess it all comes down to point of view in both cases.

If we are talking about this particular sequence and not how other calls were made on the edge, I'll call it NO TAKEDOWN. The left arm at the knee, right arm at the ankle and the head was stuffed. If he gets the head out to one side or another, I would say YES, it's a takedown. Since his head stayed stuffed, I say NO TAKEDOWN. Remember, the question is about THIS PARTICULAR takedown not some other TD on the edge, etc. as it compares to this sequence.  ;)

I would say nay....  He never moved up the body nor did he free his head to either side. 

And I think the worst call in the finals erver was the non pin call on Hendricks about 6 years ago I think.  Churella had him flat!!!!

I think control in this case boiled down to Oliver clearly capturing the Ohio St. kids left ankle.  I don't think he clearly had the left leg because the Ohio St. kid hooked his left foot behind his own right knee.  The announcer kept indicating that it was a bad call, but I looked at it 5 times and never saw control established.  I think it was the correct call.  Having said that, I still don't think the best wrestler won that match, but it is what it is.

okay, for all who said good call no take down at the end, let me ask you this. If a wrestler gets both ankles on the edge well below the knees or at the ankles, keeps his toes in and gets the call for 2(which is legit), why then does Oliver not get the same call in the middle of the mat?? The fact that Stieber has hands locked around Oliver does not diminish control and is incidental. Even the play by play guys say they don't think the refs saw that Oliver had both ankles.

IMO absolutely terrible call. Stieber is a stud and wrestled a great match!! But looking at the replay it would seem that at the end he got a gift.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.