IN VS IL

I liked Ayresman as Izerman myself  :)

Petrov looked good, as well as Jason.  McKinley gassed.

Ayersman made it look easy against Pearce who was this years IL 126#-AA State Champ,  a runner-up at 130lb last year, and

a runner-up his Freshman year. Was in on him all day, and had a few close nearfalls that could have been called.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvey definitely looked gassed.

160 - McMurtry (IL state champ) dec Brian Harvey 13-8 OT (throw to the back in OT)

Boy did Harvey get jobbed. Granted he was gassed, but in the 3rd period, he is deep double and the ref calls stalemate, which

even the Illinois crowd was a home job call.  Then he get's called for stalling after taking most of the shots in the match.

I personally think it is sad that Indiana has to resort down to semi state qualifiers. I cannot believe that guys would not want to represent our state. jesus if i didnt win state and was asked i would have still be up for it. just an example as to what i am saying if you look at illinois line ups i do believe everyone was placed in the top 5 places. and for us we are scattered all over the place. I walked into the Indiana Illinois duals thinking it would be close until we had some guys who were only semi state qualifiers wrestling a state champ and a 3X qualifier I know we have other good wrestlers in our state.

I personally think it is sad that Indiana has to resort down to semi state qualifiers. I cannot believe that guys would not want to represent our state. jesus if i didnt win state and was asked i would have still be up for it. just an example as to what i am saying if you look at illinois line ups i do believe everyone was placed in the top 5 places. and for us we are scattered all over the place. I walked into the Indiana Illinois duals thinking it would be close until we had some guys who were only semi state qualifiers wrestling a state champ and a 3X qualifier I know we have other good wrestlers in our state.

Don't forget that they have a larger pool of people to choose from.  There are three times as many state placers in Illinois as there are in Indiana...

Illinois has 15 top 5 finishers to fill a team with....Indiana has 5.......

Illinois was missing 9 senior state champs

At 106 there was one state qualifier that was a senior

At 113, two qualifiers were seniors(1 champ, 1 qualifier)

Most every weight class had at least two of the top three placers represented.  This was about as good of a team as we could have put together.  The only weight classes that did not have at least the best two of three guys were 145(1st and 4th best), 152(3rd and SS qual), 195(4th and 6th best), 285(1st and 4th best).

My point is that there are other wrestlers out there who are seniors who could have stepped up and represented our state. I think it is a great oppotunity to do this and is a honor to be asked to represent our state and for kids to not do it is just stupid because you dont get another chance to do it.

My point is that there are other wrestlers out there who are seniors who could have stepped up and represented our state. I think it is a great oppotunity to do this and is a honor to be asked to represent our state and for kids to not do it is just stupid because you dont get another chance to do it.

Not really though... The only ones that come to mind, where it could have made a difference is at 113 and 195.  If Brooks and Maurer go then IN wins one more match and is proabbaly more compentitive at 195.  

Forgot Richey...

Y2,

That's the key. Depth. People just don't realize how deep Illinois is with their talent pool. Not to mention, they are arguably the best wrestling state in the nation based off of several stats from FARGO and JUNIOR DUALS, etc.

Ohio, NJ, and Pennsylvania are right there too so it could be a spirited debate but Illinois is definitely in the conversation.

Overall, Champ vs. Champ, Indiana is competitive with them but when you have to start diving down into the placers to get kids, that's where Illinois has a huge advantage.

We didn't have Brooks and a couple of others but Illinois didn't either, they still had a lot of studs on the shelf.

Interestingly the 106 senior, whitten, who went that was only "a semi state qualifier" won his match on the A mat won 9-1.

Interestingly the 106 senior, whitten, who went that was only "a semi state qualifier" won his match on the A mat won 9-1.

Condo was the only senior that made it to state.  Whitten was the the next inline guy.  You had to be a Senior.

Y2,

That's the key. Depth. People just don't realize how deep Illinois is with their talent pool. Not to mention, they are arguably the best wrestling state in the nation based off of several stats from FARGO and JUNIOR DUALS, etc.

Ohio, NJ, and Pennsylvania are right there too so it could be a spirited debate but Illinois is definitely in the conversation.

Overall, Champ vs. Champ, Indiana is competitive with them but when you have to start diving down into the placers to get kids, that's where Illinois has a huge advantage.

We didn't have Brooks and a couple of others but Illinois didn't either, they still had a lot of studs on the shelf.

Illinois numbers are so much bigger than Indiana's. Just in general, Illinois has double the number of people and wrestlers compared to Indiana. I've been told the IKWF has over 11,000 wrestling members. I'd be surprised if the ISWA has 5000. The depth comes from a much larger population. If you look at the numbers most of the top wrestling states in the US are in the top 10 of population in the US. ILL. Penn, Mich, Ohio all in the top 10. It would be difficult to match their depth not having the numbers to draw from. Specially in a state that's dominated by basketball.

Loe - right. My point was to the person above who said they thought it was a shame that indiana had to "resort down to semi state qualifiers" and whitten was one of the 'resorted down to semi state qualifiers' although he won his match with a major and some of the state qualifiers didn't win. In this case it wasn't to big of a shame it was a w for indiana.

IKWF-ISWA is a mostly inaccurate comparison.  IKWF is the club-based organization that has been the traditional venue for Illinois middle and elementary kids to learn how to wrestle.  Most kids do not wrestle for middle schools in Illinois, and the middle schools mostly do not have wrestling teams.  There is an organization called the IESA that does support those Illinois schools that do have middle school wrestling and my very limited research into the history between the two groups has had most middle schoolers having to choose between the two groups.  I am not sure if Illinois kids can do both, as the IESA was not doing business when I lived there in the mid 1980's.

On a related topic, I am not sure if the IKWF clubs are directly sendinge USA wrestling entries for their state, as, again, it has been years for me since I have been there.

Illinois numbers are so much bigger than Indiana's. Just in general, Illinois has double the number of people and wrestlers compared to Indiana. I've been told the IKWF has over 11,000 wrestling members. I'd be surprised if the ISWA has 5000. The depth comes from a much larger population. If you look at the numbers most of the top wrestling states in the US are in the top 10 of population in the US. ILL. Penn, Mich, Ohio all in the top 10. It would be difficult to match their depth not having the numbers to draw from. Specially in a state that's dominated by basketball.

IKWF-ISWA is a mostly inaccurate comparison.  IKWF is the club-based organization that has been the traditional venue for Illinois middle and elementary kids to learn how to wrestle.

On a related topic, I am not sure if the IKWF clubs are directly sendinge USA wrestling entries for their state, as, again, it has been years for me since I have been there.

Both IKWF and ISWA are USA Wrestling member orgainizations. Both are the USA Wrestling sanctioning body for their state. We spend half our season wrestling in the Chicago and Joliet subs. It's true kids do have to choose between middle school and club wrestling. That's the, only real differance between the two. One is involved with Middle School one isn't. USA wrestling loves the IKWF and it's 10000 wrestlers.

OK then, I am sorry for adding confusion.  I assumed the IKWF did the USA stuff, as most kids stayed together for freestyle in the summers, and I didn't have an explanation for how USA got involved with Illinois kids otherwise.  Back in the 80's, I didn't recall the push for nationals from our IKWF state tourney.  How far back has folkstyle nationals been going on?

Both IKWF and ISWA are USA Wrestling member orgainizations. Both are the USA Wrestling sanctioning body for their state. We spend half our season wrestling in the Chicago and Joliet subs. It's true kids do have to choose between middle school and club wrestling. That's the, only real differance between the two. One is involved with Middle School one isn't. USA wrestling loves the IKWF and it's 10000 wrestlers.

You can't do both. It is my understanding that you have to choose either junior high or IKWF.

Years ago I found out through some conversations at a summer wrestling camp in Illinois that middle school/junior high wrestling in Illinois is a joke. I think it is starting to get better now but for years the good wrestlers in Illinois never wrestled for their junior high. I found that very odd because in Indiana, all of the wrestlers participate (for the most part) for their school.

Just different wrestling cultures between two states.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.