Merrillville Semi State should be moved to

julio

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make an online petition and sticky it on this website? Everyone that attends the MVille semistate can sign it and we can present it to the IHSAA. Heck, why not just print out the hundreds of threads on the subject and show them how dissatisfied we are.

This is a fantastic idea. But I'd have to agree with Y2. The idea that a petition might work would imply that public opinion actually matters in this situation. And if that were the case, there would have already been discussions about where the semi-state would be moving to.

But it would seem that a petition certainly couldn't hurt. Or could it?

While I agree with the gym being to small, the idea of trying to get it moved is a mute point.

For years and years now i have struggled through the opening rounds. Its a total disgrace to treat us, the fans that way.

There are several venues in or near NW Indiana that would way better suit a SS. The Hammond Civic Center, while its old

its an arena type stadium, seating in the "round". ECC has an awesoeme gym. Even the Genesis Center in Gary is a way

better choice. Someone needs to try to figure out a way to try and get this changed. I for one will do all I can to try to make this happen.

yes it is small and uncomfortable, but it was well run and staffed,

And who run the semi-state if it was moved to all these places?  Do these places want to run it?  Can they run it?  Sometimes I think people imagine these events just fall out of the sky ready to go when the fans show up.

yes it is small and uncomfortable, but it was well run and staffed,

And who run the semi-state if it was moved to all these places?  Do these places want to run it?  Can they run it?  Sometimes I think people imagine these events just fall out of the sky ready to go when the fans show up.

You make a good point. The event is very well run. No one has disputed that. And the event shouldn't be moved just for the sake of moving it. But, the justification for the move is obvious. Any potential site should be well researched and the staff to run the event secured. The fact is the ECC gym seats roughly 8200, while the Mville gym seats under 4000. ECC gym has large concourse areas and auxiliary space for warm up and preparation. The Mville gym has hall ways for wrestlers to... well do nothing. Let's put it this way. If Mville didn't have the event right now, they wouldn't be considered a contender to host it.

The Genesis Convention Center in Gary I think is a perfect place venue wise to hold it..but...there are a ton of problems with doing that...but the Hammond Civic Center with all the history and all the legends that have performed, boxed, wrestled(fake kind) fought(mma) you couldn't ask for a better place for nostalgia..Just call it the Hammond Semi-State..Hammond High,Morton,Clark,Gavit..heck maybe even E.C.C. Munster,Griffith and Highland could share responsibilities..as exciting as the Merrillville Semi-State is..it deserves an arena worthy of the gladiators that do battle there...The ARC in valpo I'm not sure is a great place for it either.

Merrillville staff can still run it. Just move it.

This is the type of statement that shows exactly my point about how wrestling fans have no idea of what it takes to host something like this.  You cant really be serious.  You guys rip on the mville venue, then expect the mville staff, admin, and volunteers (most of whom are mville teachers or retired teachers who are either volunteering or getting paid very little) to put together and host a wrestling tourney at the Genesis center in Gary? 

yes it was uncomfortable...but at a certain level I think it was also very unique and a memorable experience that will last a lifetime with the kids...for me it was an unique memory...I sat next to a former coach who told me story after story about the Mville semistate and tom cameron who used to be there.  He pointed out many adults that had wrestled there as high schoolers through the years who come back to watch it.

Jeez,  Wrigley field is not comfortable, it is small but it is memorable and worthwhile and classic.

The old Chicago stadium was small but remarkable to see the hawks and loud as hell

The old soldiers field sucked in many ways, but i am glad i saw Walter Payton play there.

Merrillville staff can still run it. Just move it.

This is the type of statement that shows exactly my point about how wrestling fans have no idea of what it takes to host something like this.  You cant really be serious.  You guys rip on the mville venue, then expect the mville staff, admin, and volunteers (most of whom are mville teachers or retired teachers who are either volunteering or getting paid very little) to put together and host a wrestling tourney at the Genesis center in Gary? 

yes it was uncomfortable...but at a certain level I think it was also very unique and a memorable experience that will last a lifetime with the kids...for me it was an unique memory...I sat next to a former coach who told me story after story about the Mville semistate and tom cameron who used to be there.  He pointed out many adults that had wrestled there as high schoolers through the years who come back to watch it.

Jeez,  Wrigley field is not comfortable, it is small but it is memorable and worthwhile and classic.

The old Chicago stadium was small but remarkable to see the hawks and loud as hell

The old soldiers field sucked in many ways, but i am glad i saw Walter Payton play there.

Teachers from New Haven, the ACAC schools and most recently Snider have staffed the FW semi state for years  and have never heard anyone complain about not hosting at their particular school.  Do what's best for kids is the bottom line.

Muckman 1999,

While I agree with your first sentiment regarding the staff at M'ville and it most certainly would have to be sponsored by another school (because God knows, Janis won't be involved in it if it is not at M'ville's gym) but you can't be serious about KEEPING the SS at M'ville! How would you like to have a kid wrestle at SS and NOT be able to see them in action for the 1st two rounds? How would you like to be the parents who try to move to see their kid wrestle and the administration and police tell them "You have to find a seat" when there are no seats! You can only view 1/2 of the mat space on two mats in a lot of the seats for the first two rounds. Can you imagine going to watch your kid wrestle and you can't see it?

The venue is a total JOKE. It is beyond ridiculous. Don't even attempt to justify it.

Muckman 1999,

While I agree with your first sentiment regarding the staff at M'ville and it most certainly would have to be sponsored by another school (because God knows, Janis won't be involved in it if it is not at M'ville's gym) but you can't be serious about KEEPING the SS at M'ville! How would you like to have a kid wrestle at SS and NOT be able to see them in action for the 1st two rounds? How would you like to be the parents who try to move to see their kid wrestle and the administration and police tell them "You have to find a seat" when there are no seats! You can only view 1/2 of the mat space on two mats in a lot of the seats for the first two rounds. Can you imagine going to watch your kid wrestle and you can't see it?

The venue is a total JOKE. It is beyond ridiculous. Don't even attempt to justify it.

This is exactly what happened to me. I could not see my sons matches. I didnt even know he won. never again. i will be there when the doors open and will park my fat butt and not move. This is like a broken record. lets not be romantics. There is nothing special about the merrillville gym. Half of the people cannot see all 4 mats! This is a major problem. I spent 50 bucks for my family, and couldnt even see my son! This is utterly unacceptable! There are only very few places to host this event. The IHSAA needs to have an evaluation system or panel, that has a corrective actions plan. Calumet would be a much better place to host. The worst thing would be the parking. Merrillville has plenty of that. At calumet, most fans would have to park in the lot on ridge road. east chicago is the very clear answer. Im sure if Bill Kelly needed help, he would get many, many people willing. Mackey would by far be the best place. Lafayette jeff does have a nice Gym, not even close to east Chicagos' though, proly the size of Calumet, maybe.

Only reason why i enjoy it being at Merriville is that it is so close to home for me hahaha but i do also agree needs to be moved somewhere and i know that there are places that can hold a large amount of  people i do think there are a handfull of locations in the northwest.

Bonehead,

It is terrible that you missed your son wrestle.  I am sorry to hear that happened.  I got there late as well and had to wrestle my way into a seat as well.  I really don't have any problem with someone who argues that it should be moved on the bases of the size alone, especially in your situation.  Fair enough...I agree with you that mville would not sponsor and staff it if it was held somewhere else. I am willing to bet right now that the Mville semi state will never be the Gary semi state at the Genesis Center.  You mention the issue of parking at Calumet HS.  A very good point.  I think that is the type of thought process that has to be reckoned with in many of these scenarios.  Every venue potentially could have some issue, scheduling(there are other sectionals and regionals going on), staffing, parking, sponsorship, admin, etc

Teachers from New Haven, the ACAC schools and most recently Snider have staffed the FW semi state for years  and have never heard anyone complain about not hosting at their particular school.  Do what's best for kids is the bottom line.

They do a great job of running the Ft Wayne semistate as well.....

It seems as if the Mville semistate has outgrown its current location.  I do not understand how someone could not see that...

It seems as if the Mville semistate has outgrown its current location.  I do not understand how someone could not see that...

I'm as bewildered as you AJ. It makes it even more evident that this is someone's self serving personal agenda to keep it at Mville. As ridiculous as it is jamming that many people into the Mville gym, and turning a deaf ear to all the parents, family members and fans that are in similar situations and sound off year after year about the same issues, and are unable to watch their kids wrestle so Mville can make a buck is shameful and pathetic. There?s obviously no democracy here. So Janis, cash that check and take pride in knowing all this dissatisfaction and displeasure is the direct result of your willingness to hold our sport hostage for $$$. 

How much money does the host school make?  Is it a percent?  Do they make more if held in their own gym? 

Just curious on the financials.....

How much money does the host school make?  Is it a percent?  Do they make more if held in their own gym? 

Just curious on the financials.....

I really hope people who don't honestly know the answer to this question don't try to answer it.  I do not know, myself.

The hosting school gets to keep 250 dollars for hosting a big regional or semi state.  All the other money goes down to the IHSAA.  Any profits they make come from concessions.  They do all the work organizing and staffing, and basically the ishaa gets the money. 

I'll tell you what.  If they move the semi-state from Merrillville I'll run the tournament, regardless where they move it to.  Heck I'll even go as far as apply for the assistant commish job for the IHSAA, if they move the semi state.

I really hope people who don't honestly know the answer to this question don't try to answer it.  I do not know, myself.

IHSAA winter bulletin

B. Semi-States

1. Tournament expenses such as officials, help, etc. shall be paid by the center

school from the gross receipts. Expenses for hospitality rooms are not considered

as authorized expenditures.

2. A transportation allowance will be paid for actual qualifying participants if in

attendance (coach, assistant coach, student manager, etc.) based upon the

number of qualifying individuals, from each participating school according to

the following schedule.

No. Participants           Per Mile            Non-Part. in Attendance

1-3                                    .20                               2

4-7                                  .40                                 3

8-12                                .60                                3

13-14                             .80                                3

3. Meals ? A meal allowance is authorized for actual qualifying participants and a

specifi c number of non-participants if in attendance (coach, assistant coach,

student manager, etc.) based upon the number of qualifying individuals, from

each participating school according to the following schedule.

Mileage                No. of Partic.                   Non-Partic.

1-120 miles $5.00/person 1-3 2

121-250 miles $9.00/person 4 or more 3

251 miles + $12.00/person

4. Balance

a. Center School ? $200.00

b. Tourney Director ? $200.00

c. IHSAA shall reimburse center school when a deficit occurs.

d. Receipts from concessions shall be retained by the center school.

5. The center school shall furnish a complete fi nancial report to the IHSAA and each

participating school within one week after the completion of the tournament.

The hosting school gets to keep 250 dollars for hosting a big regional or semi state.   All the other money goes down to the IHSAA.  Any profits they make come from concessions.  They do all the work organizing and staffing, and basically the ishaa gets the money.   

I thought all regionals (top 4 from sectionals) and semi states (top 4 from regionals) were the same size!  Is Merrillville a larger Semi-State than New Castle, Fort Wayne and Evansville?

So a larger venue would bring in bigger $$ for the IHSAA. I know at a small weekend tournament with 250 wrestlers concessions bring in about $1500-$2000. So I would guess Mville semi-state concessions are no less than $7000-$10000. The number could be considerably more though.

Comets,

In referring to a "big" regional or semi state I was not really referring to mville versus other wrestling semi states, but to all sports and their regional and semi states. If you look at julios very detailed report all the expenses are paid out of the gross receipts. The balance for the school and tourney director is 200.  This is the same for wrestling, basketball, etc.  The question was about the financials for these "big" meets.  I think it is obvious that the directors or schools are not making tons of financial gains for the school from hosting these meets, compared to the time involved in running them.   They keep concessions.  If they make any money it is there.  Most schools mandate that their own sports teams volunteer at the concessions.  I wonder how it works at the Allen fieldhouse for the FW semi state as I would guess the Allen has their own concessions staff?

Comets,

This is the same for wrestling, basketball, etc.

Keep trying, maybe you will get a fact correct in one of your posts

IHSAA winter bulletin

Boys & Girls Basketball

C. Semi-States

1. A maximum of 12 players, 2 coaches, principal, athletic director/assistant athletic

director/girls sports director and 1 student manager, 17 in all, from each

participating school shall be enter tained according to the following plan:

a. Authorized expenses such as transportation, officials, help, etc. shall be paid

from the gross receipts.

b. Transportation ? authorizes an allowance of $5.00 per mile, per team for 1

round trip for each of the 4 participating schools, host school ex cluded except

where non-school facility is used.

c. Meals and Lodging ? No allowance.

d. Center School ? $250 ? school facility.

e. Pre-Tournament Meeting ? No allowance.

2. When a 1st balance exists, it shall be disbursed according to the following

plan:

a. $2800 or less ? divided equally among the four (4) participating schools.

b. Over $2800 ? IHSAA receives 100% of balance.

3. The Executive Committee shall audit all tourney reports.

4. The center school shall furnish a complete fi nancial report to the IHSAA and

each partic ipating school 14 days after the completion of the tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.