best state champs of the decade

brickfor6

who are the best champs in the last 10 years at each weight?

my picks

103/106- cody phillips-won it 2x at 103

112/113- angel escobedo- freshman

119/120- alex tsirtsis- freshman

125/126-Reece Humphrey- junior

130/32- humphrey - senior

135/40- angel escobedo- senior

140/45- jason tsirtsis- junior

145/52-alex tsirtsis- senior

152/60-howe- junior

160/70- howe- senior

171/82-blake mauer- senior

189/95-Ian Hinton- senior

215/220-jake o'brien- soph,junior,senior

hwt- toss up between chico adams, dexter lairmore, and chris kasten.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at it this way, kasten beat lairmore when kasten was a senior and lairmore as a junior, and miller only beat sessa by 5 in the finals. when you think about how many good wrestlers beat sessa EX. just from hobart cosgrove and zeke abegg. Angel as a freshmen in my opinion would major or even tech sessa. which equals him beating miller.

who are the best champs in the last 10 years at each weight?

my picks

103/106- cody phillips-won it 2x at 103

112/113- angel escobedo- freshman

119/120- alex tsirtsis- freshman

125/126-Reece Humphrey- junior

130/32- humphrey - senior

135/40- angel escobedo- senior

140/45- jason tsirtsis- junior

145/52-alex tsirtsis- senior

152/60-howe- junior

160/70- howe- senior

171/82-blake mauer- senior

189/95-Ian Hinton- senior

215/220-jake o'brien- soph,junior,senior

hwt- toss up between chico adams, dexter lairmore, and chris kasten.

Wow, look at all the region guys! Not saying you're wrong though. The region has put out some unbelievable wrestlers over the past decade. I'd say it has been the golden age of region wrestling. Also, I would take Jason over Alex as a senior, but I realize that's a debate that could go on forever and there is no clear favorite.

those were just my picks. everybody has their opinion. that brooks and angel match would be great, but freshman tsirtsis was tough i don't think expert would beat him. again just my opinion

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just wondering what people's opinions on these matches would be.  I never got to see A. Tsirtsis or Escobedo wrestle, so I was just comparing them to two pretty dominant seniors that I have seen.  Obviously Tsirtsis and Escobedo were dominant as well and ended up with better careers, but I'd be surprised if they faced seniors as tough as Eppert and Brooks as freshmen at state.  I don't think you could go wrong picking either one in either matchup though.

How about move Jake Obrien up to heavy and insert Nate Moore from Perry Meridian at 220.

I think Senior Dexter beats Senior Jake O'Brien...

Are we talking 01/02 season - 11/12 season or since the turn of the century?

Also, I think I would take Harper FR, Galka FR, Eppert SO over phillips and would have a tough time choosing between Harper and Galka for the winner.

I think Alex Ramos SR is tough not to pick at 125.  I know Reece is a MONSTER but so was Alex...

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I was just wondering what people's opinions on these matches would be.  I never got to see A. Tsirtsis or Escobedo wrestle, so I was just comparing them to two pretty dominant seniors that I have seen.  Obviously Tsirtsis and Escobedo were dominant as well and ended up with better careers, but I'd be surprised if they faced seniors as tough as Eppert and Brooks as freshmen at state.  I don't think you could go wrong picking either one in either matchup though.

As a freshman Escobedo majored Craig Macke in the state championship match.  Macke would have been a two timer if not for Escobedo.

I think Senior Dexter beats Senior Jake O'Brien...

Are we talking 01/02 season - 11/12 season or since the turn of the century?

Also, I think I would take Harper FR, Galka FR, Eppert SO over phillips and would have a tough time choosing between Harper and Galka for the winner.

I think Alex Ramos SR is tough not to pick at 125.  I know Reece is a MONSTER but so was Alex...

I think most people would choose ramos at 125 but I think he's starting with th 01-02 season.

tsirtsis dominated everyone this year on his way to a state title, no one even gets close to beating him in the last decade

While I agree he was a true force this year it would have been one heck of a match between him and Andrew Howe their senior years (and it could have happened since Tsirtis did but up once this year to 160).

tsirtsis dominated everyone this year on his way to a state title, no one even gets close to beating him in the last decade

have you ever seen jasons brother alex wrestle in hs? absolute dominance as well, its a toss up who would win. my pick would be alex but idk it would be close.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.