Disney Duals Legal or Not?

Y2CJ41

Because I do not see it as breaking the rules.  Bobby Cox sees it as "somewhat curcumventing the rules" so technically according to the IHSAA it would be.  I dont have to agree with the statement because I do not.... 

You stated that telling the kid to work out over moratorium is technically circumventing the rules.  You stated it in post 114,

"a coach telling his kids to get a work out in over the 7 days is technically circumventing the rules as well.... coach is instructing his wrestlers to work and train over break...."

Now you are saying that even though the IHSAA sees head coaches being able to circumvent the rules through the wrestling club structure, you do not, so its OK in your mind.  Very confusing. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does going to the Disney Duals or training over moratorium going to make that big of a difference in the upcoming season?

giving the kids time to be kids & coaches the opportunity to spend time with their families should be more important.

some people/coaches won't agree but the moratorium was created for a reason.

YES.  Disney Duals Champion and Indiana State Champion.

Congrats Tonte, Schoettle and all the other PM COACHES!!

Karl, is there a link to the article in which Mr. Cox made this "somewhat circumvent some rules" comment?

I think this comment was made to Karl and Y2 during one of the weekly conference calls that they have with Booby Cox.  I mean just reading through these threads, they have 100's of quotes from the COMMISH. 

you guys do understand that legion and summer baseball does not stop over moratorium and that some h.s. coaches coach these teams all summer except for moratorium week when they have other volunteers step in for seven days.  CAN SOMEONE please explain to me how this is any different?

you guys do understand that legion and summer baseball does not stop over moratorium and that some h.s. coaches coach these teams all summer except for moratorium week when they have other volunteers step in for seven days.   CAN SOMEONE please explain to me how this is any different?

This is an easy answer. Baseball and AAU basketball are sports that some on this board do not care about, so what those coaches do or dont do have no bearing. I realize it is the exact same thing, and see no issue with it. If the coach is willing to put in the time, and the kids are willing to put in the time, then let them do it.

This is an easy answer. Baseball and AAU basketball are sports that some on this board do not care about, so what those coaches do or dont do have no bearing. I realize it is the exact same thing, and see no issue with it. If the coach is willing to put in the time, and the kids are willing to put in the time, then let them do it.

my point exactly...why is there such a "beef" against wrestlers that train or compete over the moratorium week?  the IHSAA DOES NOT CARE as long as the coaches aren't involved.

It was explained to me(by the HS coaches themselves) that baseball and softball can have an entire team from the same school play together during the summer. However, during the fall they cannot(they must adhere to the 5 person rule). At our HS, the baseball team has a summer team thats been playing together during the summer against other schools for a while now.

Baseball and basketball can only have an 5 and 3 athletes from the same school respectively on a team and is generally not coached by a high school coach. 

Disney Duals is 100% organized by the high school coach, just masked as a "club" activity for the whole team. 

wrong...summertime is open to as many as possible.  some legion teams are made up of all kids from the h.s. team and put together by the h.s. coach.  not any different at all from wrestling.

same with basketball - summer rules are open to high school teams, not just aau teams.

Not that it matters for the Disney discussion(however it does pertain to eligibility issues), but I know our summer baseball team is just that our HS baseball team, not a legion team. I'll talk to the HS coach some more for my interests.

totally within the rules during "summertime".  however, the moratorium rule still has to be followed.  thus the h.s. coach will probably have a "volunteer" coach during this period.

once week 4 (i think) starts, there can only be a certain number of players from the same school on the team.

Not that it matters for the Disney discussion(however it does pertain to eligibility issues), but I know our summer baseball team is just that our HS baseball team, not a legion team. I'll talk to the HS coach some more for my interests.

The rule on the number of players on an offseason team applies to non-school teams.  If it is a school based team it will be all kids from the same school.  If it is a non-school team, such as a Legion baseball team or the many other travel teams they MUST adhere to the limits.  I have seen numerous times in the IHSAA minutes where a coach and some kids were suspended for not adhering to this rule.

For instance at Garrett, the high school team plays in a summer league and all the players are from Garrett.  There are also a few other travel teams that some Garrett players play on and those teams MUST have no more than 5 Garrett kids on the team.

The rule on the number of players on an offseason team applies to non-school teams.  If it is a school based team it will be all kids from the same school.  If it is a non-school team, such as a Legion baseball team or the many other travel teams they MUST adhere to the limits.  I have seen numerous times in the IHSAA minutes where a coach and some kids were suspended for not adhering to this rule.

For instance at Garrett, the high school team plays in a summer league and all the players are from Garrett.  There are also a few other travel teams that some Garrett players play on and those teams MUST have no more than 5 Garrett kids on the team.

this is wrong.  the rule only applies during the school year but not summertime.  our local legion team has their whole roster filled from 2 high schools.

IHSAA By-Laws

15-2 During School Year Out-of-Season

15-2.1 Individual Sports (Cross Country, Golf, Gymnastics, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Wrestling)

a. Students may participate in non-school contests as individuals or as members of a non-school team in non-school contests provided that participation during school time is approved by the school principal or his/her designee.

b. Coaches, from a member school coaching staff, may coach students in that sport if NOT under the organization, supervision and operation of the member school.

c. Member schools may not organize, supervise or operate athletic practices or interschool athletic contests.

d. Member schools may not provide school-owned uniforms (jerseys, shirts, shorts, pants, singlets, or swimsuits, etc.) worn by the student in non-school contests.

15-2.2 Team Sports (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Softball and Volleyball)

a. Students may participate in team sport contests as members of a non-school team provided no more than the following number of students, (i) who have participated in a contest the previous season as a member of one of their school teams in that sport or (ii) who are incoming freshman (and seek to participate on a non-school team from Monday of Week 5 until the date of the first authorized practice in that sport), are rostered on the same non-school team, at the same time. Seniors, who have exhausted their eligibility in a particular sport, do not count in the maximum number of students that can participate on a non-school team in that sport.

Baseball ? 5 Football ? 6 Softball ? 5

Basketball ? 3 Soccer ? 6 Volleyball ? 3

15-3 During Summer

Participation in all summer activities shall be voluntary.

15-3.1 During Summer

Whether summer athletic activities are sponsored by a member school or a non-school organization, students may participate so long as:

a. Participation is voluntary;

b. Merchandise and awards, other than those of symbolic value, may NOT be accepted for athletic proficiency. Students must remain an amateur.

This is from a head baseball coach in Indy area who has been a head coach for over 20 years:

There are no rules until school starts again in the fall.  Then I think it is 4 or 5 players.  And I?m pretty sure that pertains to high school age only.  Some travel teams in HS will actually continue to play into October etc?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.