Disney Duals Legal or Not?

Y2CJ41

Hey. Batman and Robin. I gotta go to practice and try to win a state title but I will see you in the batcave later to discuss the rules that nobody broke that you are so sure are skirted. Whatever that means.

Batman & Robin that's classic James... If the high school coaches aren't in contact with the athletes, and parents want to take over, and I as a parent am ok with this person overseeing my child and I'm made aware of this and I dont have  problem with this then who cares. Nobody has the right to tell me I cannot allow my child to compete out of season,  although I understand they can control coaches within their organization they cannot control if I choose to allow my child to compete or train.

I understand what my childs body needs in the way of rest, healing and so forth and do not need outside sources getting involved in my home. If most folks would focus on their own homes and situations instead of others this may work best for all, because I think it's tough enough to take care of your own house instead of worrying about others. Nothing I read on here is working against any kid or athlete, we are simply talking about one week thrown out by IHSAA conflicting with a national dates. Who is the IHSAA to say any child couldn't compete in the Disney Duals because of the dates it's held on out of season when my son is out of school???

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not forget what this thread was about!! I NEED A DISNEY DUALS TEAM--The boys need a team to wrestle on..

Not even a week after Individuals and these young men can't get enough!!  AWESOME~

Pretty sure the teams that go from Indiana have that moratorium thing worked out just fine..

The IHSAA can say that athlete is ineligible to participate in sports for however long they choose.

As far as I know the rule only pertains to coaches being in contact with the athletes.  It doesn't say that an athlete cannot compete or train if he/she wishes to compete or train during that time.  Also, I don't think the rule includes the athletes being overseen by parents or volunteers that wish to be with the athletes.

Hello, Coach, wrestlers and Parents do BECAREFUL!!  :-\  You really should clear with the IHSAA because they want what is best for the KIDS $$! HA  Just talk to Mr. coX, he is there for you!  :'( Oh and yes there will other school or coach's that will whine and complain about what you do! Possible even fabricate the truth and cost the Kids  a valuable  learning experience!  :( 

Its already been cleared By IHSAA. You really think teams like Penn, Perry, Yorktown and Mater Dei are going jeopardize thier programs.  This situation occurred two years ago and Bobby Cox said as long as there wasn"t any contact from the paid High School coaching staff between the days of Moratorium.

If issues like this are already cleared by the IHSAA, then why wasn't that brought up from the very beginning?  Seems i t would have saved a lot of confusion and confrontation.  I assume this is something you have to get in writing, and if I had something in writing, I wouldn't get defensive and continue arguing.  I would simply say, "I have been given clearance by the IHSAA to conduct Disney Duals participation in such and such manner."  Then the argument is over.

No here is a better question. Why was the post highjacked from the kids in the first place. Once the Dynamic Duo were informed that no rule was broken(this is not new.  Teams have been going here for years)then they attacked the spirit of the rule and speculated as to teams cheating. That is why all this garbage has continued.

We as coaches do not answer to this board. We answer to our administration and the IHSAA.

And when questions are put out there with the intent of demonishing what kids have done or will do just to show up somehow as if they are saying "were going to get you" it's a stab

By the way Joe if I don't want Joey to eat M&M's in my class I will tell them no M&Ms. Pretty simple. It's not rocket surgery:)

No here is a better question. Why was the post highjacked from the kids in the first place. Once the Dynamic Duo were informed that no rule was broken(this is not new.  Teams have been going here for years)then they attacked the spirit of the rule and speculated as to teams cheating. That is why all this garbage has continued.

We as coaches do not answer to this board. We answer to our administration and the IHSAA.

And when questions are put out there with the intent of demonishing what kids have done or will do just to show up somehow as if they are saying "were going to get you" it's a stab

By the way Joe if I don't want Joey to eat M&M's in my class I will tell them no M&Ms. Pretty simple. It's not rocket surgery:)

First, I think the post was "hijacked" to make sure no one was violating rules unknowingly.  If that was happening to me or one of my athletes, I would really appreciate someone letting me know that rules were being broken so I could stop doing what I was doing.  And just because something is not new, does not mean that it is legal.  As I said before, if what you are doing is OK, then I am not sure why you would get so stirred people telling you that it is not.  If the IHSAA has indicated to you that they are OK with it, then why let someone else tell you it's not? 

Coach T:

An athlete that I coach was one of the ones asking about joining a team and that is why I "hijacked" the thread.  The combination of your defensive response and no one saying that the IHSAA has cleared it until Intodeep said something is why more questions came from me.  No amount of name calling by you is going to cause me to stop making sure an athlete I coach is not breaking rules.

And you still haven't answered the question I posed earlier.  You appeared to state in an earlier post that wrestlers that are "serious" about Fargo are training during the moratorium.  I asked if you are coaching those athletes during moratorium because that was the impression that you gave.

Jim,

Congratulations on finding a loophole in the rules to allow your team to compete in this event.  I would like to remind you that this is the last year for something very close to you, that being Team State.  Remember that all those times of wrestling coaches skirting the rules and finding loopholes has caught up to us and the IHSAA felt it necessary to drop Team State.  Don't think for a second that all those times of figuring out a loophole in their rulings doesn't matter.

You did not ask if I coached them.  Check your post.  You asked if they are coached and I said absolutely some of them are coached.  I did not say I coached them.  I even believe that a few years back one of the ISWA dual teams was competing over moratorium.  I will check on that.  No, I wont.  Its not important.  I will also list certain camps around the state and country that fall over those dates.  No I wont.  Its not really important.  

As far as DD this has been answered several times including any past years when teams where at Disney.  Per IHSAA, as long as the high school paid staff is not coaching them they are not in Jeopardy of any infractions.  My AD is by the book.  No grey area.  The IHSAA is by the book.  No grey area.  So, do you think we just hid the fact that we were in Disney along with 16 other indiana teams.  We all snuck in and out and nobody saw us.  

You are the one that questioned the "spirit of the rule".  Why would you even ask about one of your athletes going  if you felt the spirit of the rule is that they dont compete.  You make no sense at all.  

No loophole found.  in 2010,  Specifically talked to IHSAA and got permission.  Joe, congrats on creating a website where you can try and diminish and tarnish what people have worked for.  You are successful at that. 

You did not ask if I coached them.  Check your post.  You asked if they are coached and I said absolutely some of them are coached.  I did not say I coached them.  I even believe that a few years back one of the ISWA dual teams was competing over moratorium.  I will check on that.  No, I wont.  Its not important.  I will also list certain camps around the state and country that fall over those dates.  No I wont.  Its not really important.  

As far as DD this has been answered several times including any past years when teams where at Disney.  Per IHSAA, as long as the high school paid staff is not coaching them they are not in Jeopardy of any infractions.  My AD is by the book.  No grey area.  The IHSAA is by the book.  No grey area.  So, do you think we just hid the fact that we were in Disney along with 16 other indiana teams.  We all snuck in and out and nobody saw us.  

You are the one that questioned the "spirit of the rule".  Why would you even ask about one of your athletes going  if you felt the spirit of the rule is that they dont compete.  You make no sense at all.  

So you know of coaches that are coaching during moratorium and breaking the rules and it is not important to you?  Really?  Coaches openly flaunting guidelines set by the governing body is not important to you?  Is being a Fargo AA really worth it?

What if the athlete I coach just happens to be coached by some who has such disregard for the IHSAA bylaws and become ineligible because of it?  Will you advise us of those coaches whose don't care about the rules so our athletes don't fall into this trap?

Ultimately, if the athlete I coach is hell bent on going to Disney, I can't stop him.  I still believe that athletes competing in a school sponsored event during moratorium breaks the "spirit of the rule" and would advise against it but the ultimate decision is his and his families.  I hope that makes sense.

Karl, no I did not say they are being coached by their indiana paid coach.  I said kids are being coached during moratorium and in particular kids who are trying to win a National title.  And, they are not breaking the rules by the way.  They are not skirting the rules, not bending, not getting around.....They are following the rules yet might be at a camp, academy, personal trainer....just as I said two pages ago. 

Also, no you did not clear things up.  You said you inquired because you had a kid who wanted to go.  Why didnt you simply tell your kid that its against the rules.  Sorry, check that.  Its against the "spirit of the rule", so we wont even ask because we dont want you to be ineligible.  Why all of this if you knew two pages ago that the rules were going to be broke(you specifically said that) and the intent of the rule was for them to do nothing(you said that as well).  Why did you even bother posting.  No, you make no sense. 

Karl, no I did not say they are being coached by their indiana paid coach.  I said kids are being coached during moratorium and in particular kids who are trying to win a National title.  And, they are not breaking the rules by the way.  They are not skirting the rules, not bending, not getting around.....They are following the rules yet might be at a camp, academy, personal trainer....just as I said two pages ago. 

Also, no you did not clear things up.  You said you inquired because you had a kid who wanted to go.  Why didnt you simply tell your kid that its against the rules.  Sorry, check that.  Its against the "spirit of the rule", so we wont even ask because we dont want you to be ineligible.  Why all of this if you knew two pages ago that the rules were going to be broke(you specifically said that) and the intent of the rule was for them to do nothing(you said that as well).  Why did you even bother posting.  No, you make no sense. 

What I think and what the IHSAA has ruled on are obviously two different things.  If it not going to cost eligibility then it obviously not as big an issue.  Again as I read the bylaw, I still feel that competing in a school sponsored event during moratorium violates the spirit of the rule and would advise against.  I bothered posting because it took until page 3 for someone to say that this has been cleared by the IHSAA.  That is what I wanted to know.  If trying to protect an athletes eligibility still makes no sense to you then I apologize.

What I think and what the IHSAA has ruled on are obviously two different things.  If it not going to cost eligibility then it obviously not as big an issue.  Again as I read the bylaw, I still feel that competing in a school sponsored event during moratorium violates the spirit of the rule and would advise against.  I bothered posting because it took until page 3 for someone to say that this has been cleared by the IHSAA.  That is what I wanted to know.  If trying to protect an athletes eligibility still makes no sense to you then I apologize.

it is AAU therefore i believe it is club sponsored

since the last day of DD is July 2nd, are the coaches even allowed to sit in the stands and watch or do they have to leave the gym?  They are not having contact with the wrestler nor are they working with the wrestler.  I am just curious on how this rule works.

Isaiah went to DD last year and it had a huge impact on him.  He enjoyed the experience and his wrestling benefitted from it as well.  I would love to send him back this year as long as everything is fine with IHSAA.

Karl and Y2... at the risk of getting uncool points I will add to this conversation... if you pick your nose long enough you will find a booger!!  Let it go already.  Just because you yourself do not want to go to disney or take a team doesn't mean that other people are skirting the rules by allowing parents to bring kids home.  

What if the coaches son is on the team and they decide to have a family vacation in Florida after it is over and his son's best friend is on the team and he wants to hang with them for the week?  I guess dad and son can't go to dinner, play catch at the beach or even have a few takedown tourney in the pool according your strict interpretations???  You could what if this moritorium rule to death.  

The rule is in place so that parents can have a specific week to plan vacations in which the coach can not interfere with those family plans.  That is the "spirit" of the rule.  Your interpretation would limit kids opportunities for camps, national competition and other special events that happen to fall during that week.  That is Indiana's week not the rest of the nations week.  I know of tennis players, golfers and even football players who have traveled and competed in events during this week.  and shhhh don't tell anyone, but their coaches were there watching and sometimes maybe even giving advice....

After all this discussion I hope that the kid who started this thread and the others that responded saying they would like to be on a Disney team find one.  I also hope that there is a paid high school coach that is willing to coach them all the way up until 11:59 pm on July the 1st.  Then I hope that coach takes the last 59 seconds to say to that kid that he won't be able to coach the kid the next day because that is the rule and rules are made to be followed period.  I hope that coach says I coached you up until this point because I want you to get everything you possibly can out of the best sport on the face of the earth.  If you want to put as much time and effort as you possibly can into wrestling I will be right here with you doing everything I can to help you achieve your goals.  After Fargo I want you to take 3 weeks off and go fishing, spend time with your family or do whatever makes you happy.  I think that is how the spirit of the rule should be intrepreted.  This intrepretation is probably why some programs like Perry, Penn, Mishawaka and Mater Dei have been so successful and others have not.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.