Lance Ellis Vs Jared Brooks poll

BestSportEver

What were Ellis' national credentials?  Other than mauling kids from the Hoosier state how did he do when he ventured outside the borders?  I know there were less "national" tournaments, but Junior Nationals and Senior Nationals were both great events.

I took Coach Ellis, and Coach Schoettle to then what was the Sotheast Regional in the Orlando, Florida area back in the day in which they both won, but the tourneys head offical son was in the final against Lance, and refused to let his son wrestle him after watching Lance hurt a couple kids earlier in the tourney with that lateral, lol.... :o

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The short polyester singlets and long mullets we all sported back then would of provided enough power to dominate any of today's kids...even Brooks.

Lance, as I remember, had a pretty sick mullet.  Advantage +10 Ellis. 

Quick google search & I found that Lance Ellis is in the running to be named 1 of  ''THE TOP 50 OF ALL TIME IN AMATEUR WRESTLING"  in a poll conducted by USAwrestling, votes are locked in and the results will be released in May 2012

Top High School Wrestlers of all Time

MOST VICTORIES

Consecutive

260 Justin Zeerip (Hesperia, MI) 2003-2007

235 Travis Sullivan (Monticello Wayne County, KY) 2005-2008

233 Alex Tsirtsis (Griffith, IN) 2000-2004

228 Brent Metcalf (Davison, MI) 2001-2005

219 Andy Simmons (Williamston, MI) 1999-2002

211 Nick Simmons (Williamston, MI) 1997-2001

187 Todd Beckerman (Hyattsville DeMatha, MD) 1993-96

177 Lance Ellis (Indianapolis Cathedral, IN) 1986-89

173 Travis Sullivan (Monticello Wayne County, KY) 2004-2007

162 Andrew Storrs (Goodrich, MI) 1994-98

160 Kevin Black (River Falls, WI) 1995-98

UNDEFEATED FOUR TIMES STATE HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPIONS

Indiana

Lance Ellis

Cathedral HS

Indianapolis IN

Career Record: 4x State Champion 1986-89

Win/Loss: 177-0

Alex Tsirtsis

Griffith HS

Griffith, In

Career Record: 4x State Champion 2001-04

Win/Loss: 236-0

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/02%20wusa%20web%20root/allmajorpages/castyourvote.html

The short polyester singlets and long mullets we all sported back then would of provided enough power to dominate any of today's kids...even Brooks.

Lance, as I remember, had a pretty sick mullet.  Advantage +10 Ellis.  

This isn't coach matt schoettle, just so everyone knows.

no what happened in the wilson match in the state finals is that wilson took lance down they went off the mat the crowd erupted lance started smiling he got set in the down position stood up immediately hooked up his famous lateral and launched wilson for the fall. this is factual as i was in the chair on the floor for his state finals match. lance was truly tremendous and one of the nicest kids youd ever want to meet.

This post allows some of us older guys to go down memory lane.  Ellis was dominant, but I do not recall him breaking peoples' arms.  I think The Legend of Lance Ellis has been exaggerated  a bit over time. 

My fault...he dislocated arms and shoulders.. ::)

It is great that old guys get mentioned on here, but I don't think you realize how much the sport has changed since 1989.  I wrestled Ellis and maybe he was having a bad day, but I would pick Brooks to win 9 out of 10 times.  In my opinion Ellis was special for what he could do back then, but even then it was not something that worked as well beyond Indiana.  Again - my opinion, but people ran away from him back then which led to lesser competition in the state.  I am not a Brooks fan either, I just can't deny that someone who has won national level tournaments today would beat someone from 1989.

Wrestling was also not as advanced back then, as it is now.  Brooks.

This is true.  In the late 1980s and into 1990 America's best wrestlers were now dinosaurs such as John Smith, Dave Schultz, Andre Metzger, Gene Mills, Randy Lewis, Kenny Monday, Bill Scheer, and Bruce Baumgarter.  Top college wrestlers included Kendall Cross, Tom Brands, Royce Alger, Zeke Jones, Terry Brands, and Kurt Angel.  None of these guys would stand a chance in today's advanced wrestling world.  The technique and training of today would simply overwhlem them to allow sucess 20+ years later.   They would not know what was hitting them as the sport has changed so much since then.

;D

It is great that old guys get mentioned on here, but I don't think you realize how much the sport has changed since 1989.  I wrestled Ellis and maybe he was having a bad day, but I would pick Brooks to win 9 out of 10 times.  In my opinion Ellis was special for what he could do back then, but even then it was not something that worked as well beyond Indiana.  Again - my opinion, but people ran away from him back then which led to lesser competition in the state.  I am not a Brooks fan either, I just can't deny that someone who has won national level tournaments today would beat someone from 1989.

There are alot of smart people that are on this site....so far the count is

Ellis:  120 votes(most by pin)

Brooks: 53 votes(most in close match)

"This is true.  In the late 1980s and into 1990 America's best wrestlers were now dinosaurs such as John Smith, Dave Schultz, Andre Metzger, Gene Mills, Randy Lewis, Kenny Monday, Bill Scheer, and Bruce Baumgarter.  Top college wrestlers included Kendall Cross, Tom Brands, Royce Alger, Zeke Jones, Terry Brands, and Kurt Angel.  None of these guys would stand a chance in today's advanced wrestling world.  The technique and training of today would simply overwhlem them to allow sucess 20+ years later.  They would not know what was hitting them as the sport has changed so much since then."

Matts, I hope we are on the same page...

Total bunch of scrubs listed here...

Kenny Monday's fireman's has ceased to work in a match since 1997, due to wrestling changing so much.

John Smith's low single did not lead him to an undefeated run at his second Olympic gold medal, and then immedietely stopped working on every one in the world.  His demo. tapes are now sold at wrestling meets as novelty gifts to the aged and once flexible.

Terry Brands has no technique and can't coach at a high level due to his insistance upon his definition of the Iowa style: collar and tie, underhook, snap, then hip push your opponent out of bounds while signalling for stalling without actual moves ever being attempted.

Lance Ellis's 151 pins would not translate into today's success because pins in the 80's relied heavily upon a Hair Band playing a guitar rift to signal the referee of the fall, while most high schools do not even have their high school band at wrestling meets, and arenas play more pop hits than 80s rock ballads.  Also, what very little people know, Ellis was born throwing laterals with his foot in the air, and with today's wrestlers, that wouldn't work, and since he did not work to develop the skills that lead him to 180-0, he would probably just be a JV wrestler at most high schools. 

"This is true.  In the late 1980s and into 1990 America's best wrestlers were now dinosaurs such as John Smith, Dave Schultz, Andre Metzger, Gene Mills, Randy Lewis, Kenny Monday, Bill Scheer, and Bruce Baumgarter.  Top college wrestlers included Kendall Cross, Tom Brands, Royce Alger, Zeke Jones, Terry Brands, and Kurt Angel.  None of these guys would stand a chance in today's advanced wrestling world.  The technique and training of today would simply overwhlem them to allow sucess 20+ years later.   They would not know what was hitting them as the sport has changed so much since then."

Matts, I hope we are on the same page...

Total bunch of scrubs listed here...

Kenny Monday's fireman's has ceased to work in a match since 1997, due to wrestling changing so much.

John Smith's low single did not lead him to an undefeated run at his second Olympic gold medal, and then immedietely stopped working on every one in the world.  His demo. tapes are now sold at wrestling meets as novelty gifts to the aged and once flexible.

Terry Brands has no technique and can't coach at a high level due to his insistance upon his definition of the Iowa style: collar and tie, underhook, snap, then hip push your opponent out of bounds while signalling for stalling without actual moves ever being attempted.

Lance Ellis's 151 pins would not translate into today's success because pins in the 80's relied heavily upon a Hair Band playing a guitar rift to signal the referee of the fall, while most high schools do not even have their high school band at wrestling meets, and arenas play more pop hits than 80s rock ballads.  Also, what very little people know, Ellis was born throwing laterals with his foot in the air, and with today's wrestlers, that wouldn't work, and since he did not work to develop the skills that lead him to 180-0, he would probably just be a JV wrestler at most high schools. 

JV????????????????  :o  This is crazy.. I know several people that wrestles lance and they still coach to this day...and they saiy they have never seen a wrestler that would beat them at that weight. Ive wathced this guy..i know your theory might work for some guys...but i really believe it doesnt with lance.

JV????????????????   :o  This is crazy.. I know several people that wrestles lance and they still coach to this day...and they saiy they have never seen a wrestler that would beat them at that weight. Ive wathced this guy..i know your theory might work for some guys...but i really believe it doesnt with lance.

Wow, you really dont detect any sarcasm in his post???

JV????????????????   :o  This is crazy.. I know several people that wrestles lance and they still coach to this day...and they saiy they have never seen a wrestler that would beat them at that weight. Ive wathced this guy..i know your theory might work for some guys...but i really believe it doesnt with lance.

Buy a dictionary.  Look up sarcasm.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.