True 2nd

Y2CJ41

Im just saying it is impossible to be right when there is not much difference in the talent of these wrestlers.  Batt, Forte, Blanton, Malloy are all very good wrestlers and the only standout was the one that won the wieghtclass.  By just comparison of head to head, you would have to say Forte was the best choice for second since he beat Blanton worse than Batt did, but the disappointment of losing to Batt changed how focused Blanton was going into the cosolation match against Forte. 

I understand... It's all just conjecture anyway. But the way true 2nd works is what it is and Y2 only included what match-ups would have been possible using that rule. I don't believe he was judging who he thought was the 2nd best. True 2nd is an attempt to find out who is 2nd best. To really work True wrestle-backs would have to be employed.

but the disappointment of losing to Batt changed how focused Blanton was going into the cosolation match against Forte. 

And Forte wasn't disappointed after losing to McKinley....right?

The rule of the True 2nd matches is that if the 2nd and 3rd place wrestlers did not meet up that they will wrestle for what would be classified as True 2nd.  This is done at various events across the country for various reasons.

Therefore Mr. Blanton would NOT qualify due to finishing in 4th place.  Neither would someone like Nick Crume whom lost to Cody LeCount in the semi-finals.

Fun hypothetical question but maybe we need to determine a true 3rd first.  I am sure there are more than one bracket where the 5th place winner may have been better than the 3rd  place winner. 

It would be fantastic to do that, but with the lack of respect the coaches get from the IHSAA I do not see that happening any time soon.

What is malloy? I know hes not a "true" 5th..lol...Id take him as my "true" 2nd any day..maybe 1st..lmao..its so weird how wrestling is..if you are off ur game for one match or get caught or anything..u will lose most of the time...

Well when you consider he beat McKinley at team regionals I would say he is defiantly not a "true" fifth. I really wanted to see a rematch under the lights I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Considering he lost to the 4th place finisher, he was the 5th best on Saturday.

Right on!  In college at our regional qualifying tournament we wrestled true 2nds.  That helps the coaches to select a wildcard for the national tournament.  The true 2nd match is VERY TOUGH to wrestle.  For example, my sophomore year I lost in the finals and the guy who placed 3rd had not seen me yet, so he challenged me to a true 2nd place match.  (I won by major)  My junior year I lost in the semi's to the national runner-up, but I wrestled back to place 3rd.  I had not seen the runner up so I challenged him to a true 2nd.  (lost that one)  My senior year I lost in the finals and the kid who placed 3rd I had not seen yet.  He challenged me to a true 2nd place match and I pinned that kid, which in turn helped me to earn a wild card.  I don't know what good it would do in high school, but it is a nice hypothetical thing to look at.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.