Kral

fay

Congrats! He went through a very tough road.  Petrov may have had the hardest way to the top but Kral was tough in a wt that was up for grabs. Some said he did not deserve the number one ranking.  The Robinson match was tough but he was out of bounds and the ref got it right.  Kral pushed the pace in all his matches and deserved the championship. 

The worst call I've seen all year. Unfortunately it had to come  at this stage of competition. Robinson was robbed of the finals birth, his only consolation is that he has two more years to get back what was stolen from him.

I was very disappointed with the lack of offense in his final's match. It seemed he was content to not attempt a takedown for the entire length of the match. The stalling calls on Gallegos were absurd. To quote the coaches mat side, "Just pushing is not offense." The style of wrestling Kral demonstrated in his finals match is the very worst type of stalling and is terrible for the sport. I know Kral to be an incredible wrestler and expected much more from him.

With all that being said, I know he put in all the work, time and effort. He very much deseves to be a State Champion. Congratulations to a great kid and wrestler.

Congrats! He went through a very tough road.  Petrov may have had the hardest way to the top but Kral was tough in a wt that was up for grabs. Some said he did not deserve the number one ranking.  The Robinson match was tough but he was out of bounds and the ref got it right.  Kral pushed the pace in all his matches and deserved the championship. 

Krals offense= head on opponent 's chest + blocking bicep with right arm + blocking left tricep + pushing opponents with head buried + Vlink holding his fist up telling the refs the other guy is stalling.

Vlink and Rodrigue.  should be proud for robbing a 16 year old kid of a state title.

How has he come a long way? He's regressed in my opinion. As someone has already stated, stuffing your head into an opponents chest and pushing into him is not an offensive move. His coaches bark and get stalling calls for their wrestler, as they are supposed to do, but Tyler can't score from that position and gets stalling warnings/points against his opponents. Robinson earned a victory and showed a senior with no offense what happens when you push into your opponent and burry your head, you get lat dropped on your back! Luckily for Tyler his coaches were able to talk two men into taking earned points from a 16 year old, just as they talk the same man into a stall warning.  I left the arena sick after that match and felt bad for Gelen, but after talking to the kid, I felt better. That kid has such a great outlook, said he'll get it next year. Fortunately for referee number 4 this lack of a title won't define Gelen and he won't lose sleep over this.

How has he come a long way? He's regressed in my opinion. As someone has already stated, stuffing your head into an opponents chest and pushing into him is not an offensive move. His coaches bark and get stalling calls for their wrestler, as they are supposed to do, but Tyler can't score from that position and gets stalling warnings/points against his opponents. Robinson earned a victory and showed a senior with no offense what happens when you push into your opponent and burry your head, you get lat dropped on your back! Luckily for Tyler his coaches were able to talk two men into taking earned points from a 16 year old, just as they talk the same man into a stall warning.  I left the arena sick after that match and felt bad for Gelen, but after talking to the kid, I felt better. That kid has such a great outlook, said he'll get it next year. Fortunately for referee number 4 this lack of a title won't define Gelen and he won't lose sleep over this.

Amen. I liked Robinson's quote in the paper this morning:

"I was pretty upset with the call," Robinson said. "My coaches were upset. But the referees' opinion was different and you've got to respect the call. There's nothing you can do about it except move on and do the best you could in the next match."

Robinson (47-5) did, capturing the third-place contest.

"I'm pretty pleased with how I ended up," Robinson said. "I'm really looking forward to next year. Seeing my teammate (Kyle Ayersman) out here, I want to keep it going for our coaches."

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/wrestling/lake-central-s-robinson-takes-third-in-state-wrestling-at/article_b6ea2f1a-f68f-5f28-a88e-e420f67044ef.html#ixzz1mqbsymD9

I was very disappointed with the lack of offense in his final's match. It seemed he was content to not attempt a takedown for the entire length of the match. The stalling calls on Gallegos were absurd. To quote the coaches mat side, "Just pushing is not offense." The style of wrestling Kral demonstrated in his finals match is the very worst type of stalling and is terrible for the sport. I know Kral to be an incredible wrestler and expected much more from him.

With all that being said, I know he put in all the work, time and effort. He very much deseves to be a State Champion. Congratulations to a great kid and wrestler.

The young man deserves credit.  He did win a state title, but this weight class is always this way.  Very little offensive action.  When the finals gets above 152, the excitement level drops considerable because the big guys mostly just hand battle.  Makes for pretty dull wrestling.  This is why taking away a light weight class and adding a 195 pound class was a huge mistake IMO.  Still, congrats to all the wrestlers big and small.

I don't think anyone can complain about stalling because kral was on the offense. Neither opponents showed offense against kral and that's how he wrestles. Do people expect to see singles and high crotchs at that weight? Lets be honest. Regardless congrats to tyler and gelen on there accomplishments.

I don't think anyone can complain about stalling because kral was on the offense. Neither opponents showed offense against kral and that's how he wrestles. Do people expect to see singles and high crotchs at that weight? Lets be honest. Regardless congrats to tyler and gelen on there accomplishments.

There seem to be a lot of shot attempts and offense in the HWT final so one might not expect the Petrov/Campbell match at 220 but you would probably expect the action of the HWT match.

The young man deserves credit.  He did win a state title, but this weight class is always this way.  Very little offensive action.  When the finals gets above 152, the excitement level drops considerable because the big guys mostly just hand battle.  Makes for pretty dull wrestling.  This is why taking away a light weight class and adding a 195 pound class was a huge mistake IMO.  Still, congrats to all the wrestlers big and small.

Wahoo for that post.  At 220 and 285 the first stalling warning should result in a point for the other wrestler.  Maybe that'd encourage some offense.

whats the matter with you guys all you do is complain about it being boring to watch. trust me you dont wanna take a bad shot and get stuck underneath one of those big boys. at the lower weights you can get away with it but not so much with the heavy weights. I thought it was a very smart wrestled match by kral if your opponent isnt going to give you anything just keep pushing into him they will call him eventually idk how you say kral should have been called for stalling when gallegos was backing up the whole time.

:) no offense?! really..

whats the matter with you guys all you do is complain about it being boring to watch. trust me you dont wanna take a bad shot and get stuck underneath one of those big boys. at the lower weights you can get away with it but not so much with the heavy weights. I thought it was a very smart wrestled match by kral if your opponent isnt going to give you anything just keep pushing into him they will call him eventually idk how you say kral should have been called for stalling when gallegos was backing up the whole time.

i said it before and i will say it again PUSHING IN IS NOT OFFENSE!  i took shots all match long!  not being a sore loser either! Kral outsmarted me and had the better strategy congrats to him and the crown point coaches! 

and my last post on this thread would be for you to stop bashing either one of us.  we both wrestled as hard as we could and left everything out on the mat!  Thank you!

Nobody is bashing on you personally young man.  That is the nature of big man wrestling versus little guy wrestling.  You should be very proud of yourself.  You represented your school, family, and community very well.  Most importantly you represented yourself well.  No matter what comments are said on this board, you were a state runner-up.  I can't say that and I dare say most of the people making the comments can't say that either.  I don't know you but heck I am proud of you.  You will never forget this past weekend as long as you live.  This fan thanks you for your hard work and dedication.

It's sad to see an official decide a state championship match like that. Colborn is more worried about being part of the match then letting the wrestlers decide it on the mat. The most disturbing thing to me is that he has no clue how much time and effort these kids put in to get under the lights. If he did, he wouldn't try so hard to take their spotlight with bogus double stalling calls. I will never allow him to officiate a match with a Southmont wrestler if a scratch sheet is available.

Kevin Wilkinson

Southmont Head Coach

Kral did what he was suppose to do.  He went out and wrestled hard and won a state title.

With that said I think the refs really blew that semi-finals match.  Wrestling on the edge is the refs discretion to blow the whistle and stop it.  Even if Robinson did not have 2 feet in on the takedown the refs let them continue to wrestle.  He then did get both feet in and had complete control.  I would not have a problem with the call if the whistle was blown right away and they ruled them out of bounce but that did not happen.  I'm also pretty sure the rule states that if a wrestler tries to circle back in and the inside wrestler blocks him from coming back it that could be stalling on the inside man.  Kral mostly posted on his opponents and blocked them from workingback in.  Again that is not on the wrestler.  If the ref isn't going to stop it then why would he change his gameplan.  I do wish some of these refs would stop letting coaches influence their calls.

and my last post on this thread would be for you to stop bashing either one of us.  we both wrestled as hard as we could and left everything out on the mat!  Thank you!

Great job Joe you did great and it was a plessure knowing you good luck in the future you are a stud

Congrats to Kral !!!! You did it and deserve it. 

People on here are acting like they did nothing but stand around.  I wasn't there but I am sure both were working hard to get the vistory.  I don't know how many of you wrestled at 220 or HWt, but it is completely different than the lower weights.  If you don't get a clean shot in at that weight, then you have a huge, strong body all over your neck and shoulders. NOT FUN.  So why would anyone try to take a shot without perfect position first????  Those hand battles and head position may be dull for spectator, but when you are in there it is entense, brutal, and tiring. The fact of the matter is that it may not be "entertaining" to the crowd, but the competitors know what they have to do to get the job done.  I am sure both wrestlers left that match exhausted. 

This entire argument is laughable....there is only 100% effort by all parties at the State finals meet.  I've been around these kids for a long time and have never seen them ever take the easy route....that's pretty much how they made it to the finals!!!!  The more closely their skills are matched the more difficult it is to score...they won't take unnecessary risk because it is not good strategy.  If you think it is boring please do not come to the Big Ten meet or the NCAA finals!!!

This entire argument is laughable....there is only 100% effort by all parties at the State finals meet.  I've been around these kids for a long time and have never seen them ever take the easy route....that's pretty much how they made it to the finals!!!!  The more closely their skills are matched the more difficult it is to score...they won't take unnecessary risk because it is not good strategy.  If you think it is boring please do not come to the Big Ten meet or the NCAA finals!!!

LIKE!!!!

I disagree. Harvey and Mappes both excited me more than Bradley did in the championship matches

hey now, they had some great scrambles and a very exciting last 30 seconds....  :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.