Why Folkstyle

mgarrity44

Interesting Question.... why is it that the US ops for folkstyle wrestling over freestyle in Highschool and college when the olympics is freestyle?? ???

You mean when ALL international wrestling is freestyle (and greco)

Excellent point the guru. You are exactly correct. Both HS and College NCAA wrestling is fantastic...Freestyle quite frankly boring wrestlings. I mean you have that best of 2.3 format for the periods and the dumbest rulee of all with a clinch. That clinch rule would never ever be used in folkstyle wrestling ever..

Fans want to see points and pins period. Freestyle doesnt allow for that for the most part. Freestyle just not exciting, low scoring, and wasted time with the referee blowing the whistle telling the wrestlers back to neutral..way too much standing around..wasted time

Folkstyle is tradition and hopefully remains in the usa for a long time! :)

Excellent point the guru. You are exactly correct. Both HS and College NCAA wrestling is fantastic...Freestyle quite frankly boring wrestlings. I mean you have that best of 2.3 format for the periods and the dumbest rulee of all with a clinch. That clinch rule would never ever be used in folkstyle wrestling ever..

Fans want to see points and pins period. Freestyle doesnt allow for that for the most part. Freestyle just not exciting, low scoring, and wasted time with the referee blowing the whistle telling the wrestlers back to neutral..way too much standing around..wasted time

Folkstyle is tradition and hopefully remains in the usa for a long time! :)

i can barely stay awake watching freestyle...

On issue is the high schools concern with safty and freestyle to many may put children in more dangerous positions.  Closest thing you will ever get suggested (due to those concerns) is a hybrid style that is basically freestyle with safty adjustments.  Though to me freestyle also needs some adjustments at this point as well to get it back to feeling like more of a wrestling competition. 

I hate watching freestyle.  I'd rather watch synchronized swimming.  Freestyle in the 70's and 80's wasn't bad, because it was close to folkstyle with subtle differences.  Now it is basically like sumo wrestling with that stupid push out rule.  I also hate the point for period thing.  The period tie break rule is the strangest thing I have ever seen.  The colored ball and clinch start.  I don't get it.

I agree that it is a safety thing.  Also, I think that insurance has a lot to do with it.  A lot of high schools have done away with gymnastics both as a sport and in physical education due to insurance.  Notice how very rarely you can find a rope hanging from a gym ceiling?  Insurance.  There is technically no such thing as a "slam" in Freestyle and Greco.  Therefore, when a competitor is thrown to the ground in a suplex, reverse body lift, etc., there can be some devastating blows to the body.  When a wrestler picks up his opponent in Folkstyle, the rulebook states that he must, "return him to the mat safely."  I am almost positive that these safety rules were put in place for insurance purposes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.