Most Impressed/Least Impressed At State

devildog47959

Most Impressive:

Hanover Central wrestlers belong in their own category.  They went through a terrible loss during the season and was able to keep everything together and wrestle their butts off.  That was amazing....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I stated, both Kirk and the entire PM team had a state championship as the ultimate goal. My point was that calling a 3rd place finisher the tournament's biggest disappointment was simply over the top.

If you have read about Kirk on this board, and then saw him wrestle for the first time last weekend, I can see where one would be disappointed. His matches are not very exciting or impressive to the casual fan.

Most Impressed:

Petrov, cut's the kid and just goes after whats rightfully his and takes it...gotta love it!

Bradley, didn't give up a single offensive pt all Semi-State/State.

Sliga, pining his way through the Finals.

least Impressed:

Kaden Suter, found it odd after each win there was a state finals celebration.  ::)

Most impressed the hanover boys man they wrestled tough  ;D

Least impressed Kaden I have a reason why I do not see eye to eye with him not because he beat my heavyweight but how he acts and what he says not a fan at all and I am not the only person who has said this I have talked to a couple of people and they have stated the same thing just not good to hear.

But in all I had a great time at OUR Indiana state finals this year it was awsome and felt great to coach three of my kids there for my first year of coaching.

Looks as if my sentiment is shared here on Kaden

I talked with Kaden during the parade of champions and he came across as a great kid. He was very funny and had us all rolling the whole time. I see nothing wrong with him being pumped and excited.

Of course this is coming from a heavyweight who Hulk Hogan'ed hogan.jpgan opposing crowd once while being booed.

And took a bow to another crowd while being booed.

I talked with Kaden during the parade of champions and he came across as a great kid. He was very funny and had us all rolling the whole time. I see nothing wrong with him being pumped and excited.

Of course this is coming from a heavyweight who Hulk Hogan'ed hogan.jpgan opposing crowd once while being booed.

And took a bow to another crowd while being booed.

That was great ..lol

Least impressed was the picture on the program....  they went with a pair of old wrestling shoes...

all the possibilities and they chose shoes...  had the twins win state title last year on cover, or tsirtsis since he was going for 4, or pic of goldman because of his awesome tournament....  something besides shoes....

Least Impressed! EV. Matr Dei. Since Greg. Schaefer they are average, they have underacheived, are not well coached and have not had the winning instinct they once had, it's a travisty and seems to be the demise of the wrestling in the state of Indiana. I'm going to team state first time in 15 years but the ora seems to be long gone. It will be missed the great traditions, rivalry's, and the crowd spirtit, I'm sad to say this has been the demise of the sport for me, and the team spirit and rivalry has been lost for me.      

Least Impressed! EV. Matr Dei. Since Greg. Schaefer they are average, they have underacheived, are not well coached and have not had the winning instinct they once had, it's a travisty and seems to be the demise of the wrestling in the state of Indiana. I'm going to team state first time in 15 years but the ora seems to be long gone. It will be missed the great traditions, rivalry's, and the crowd spirtit, I'm sad to say this has been the demise of the sport for me, and the team spirit and rivalry has been lost for me.      

Just a quick question: Is the aura long gone or is the orca long gone? I'm not sure if you mis-spelled aura, or if you just left the 'c' out of orca. :)

MD hasn't had the dominant middle school team the past 3 or 4 years.  I think Schaefer and the team over achieved this year getting 9 to state.  This year's junior wildcats were stacked.  In 3 years EMD will be real hard to beat.

Let's see.... Mater Dei finished the year 23-1, losing only to the state champs, Perry Meridian.  As individuals, they qualified 9 for state, a 2012 standard shared with Perry Meridian. 

By Wrestling100's standards, this is a "underacheiving" and "average" team that is not "well coached" or has a "winning instinct".  I guess that means that Perry Meridian is the only team in the state that is above average!

What a "travisty" (your spelling)!

I know kaden and he is a very nice kid! Try not to bash the kid before getting to know him!

He may be a nice kid, but when it comes to answering the topic "Most Impressive/Least Impressive" I'd have to say he was least impressive at the state championships IMO.  Who knows maybe he had an off day, I just know if I were the heavy favor to win a state title I'd probably hold my Finals celebration in for the finals....not Friday night/Sat. Morning. 

I'm sure he will do good things with Ester and Indiana Tech in the fall...

When compared to the teams of the early 00's, MD is down.  They haven't had a state champ since 05, but you can't put that on Coach Schaeffer.  I think they hit a little dry spell talent wise, but there are a bunch of really good kids coming up through the feeder system.  They will be consistent contenders for the state title for several years to come, although nobody will rip off 9 in a row ever again.  Especially with the elimination of team state.

And for Wrestler100.  If MD lost that winning instinct, I highly doubt they would have opted to bump up to 3A for the IHSWCA state duals.  They easily could have stayed in 1A and ran off 15-20 titles in a row there.  But they chose to bump up to wrestle with the best in the state.

By far and away the Petrov- Campbell match was a phenomenal match. Some of the best scrambles I've seen in a high school match ever. I had to drag my girlfriend to the finals, she is not a fan of wrestling and doesn't understand my love of the sport. However she was standing and cheering, whooping and hollering during and after that match. I might have turned the corner with her she now understands why I love wrestling thanks too those two young men and there performance. Thank you guys.  :P

Hahahaha! I wish my gf did that lol, she still laughs at me when I freak out during matches  :P

They easily could have stayed in 1A and ran off 15-20 titles in a row there. 

Isn't this a mythical championship though?  Not one recognized by the IHSAA.

Just because Minnesota won the National Duals doesn't make them the National Champions. 

Isn't this a mythical championship though?  Not one recognized by the IHSAA.

Just because Minnesota won the National Duals doesn't make them the National Champions.  

Im stealing this from another thread, and from another person, but I think that Maligned really described the situation with the IHSWCA team state perfectly on a post under "Too bad we're loosing team state"

Maligned-

"The scoring system for the IHSWCA event makes it almost entirely based on performance.  If your team (especially your underclassmen) performs in the individual state series, you go to the duals tourney.  

If we had used this system last year, we would have had 7 of this year's top 8 in 3A and 2A and 6 of the top 8 in 1A in the duals tournament this year.  The top 5 in all 3 classes would have been there.  This is even better than the IHSAA system usually did with its geographically strict system.  Our system of scoring your projected strength works well.

I understand it would be very exciting if we had a way to have an 'all-in' duals tournament, but how is having 24 invited into the duals tournament versus having 32 invited THAT different?  And we get the class thing everyone wants?  I really think it's worth giving the IHSWCA event a chance.  Anything in life has meaning if we give it meaning.  The proverbial tree falling in the forest makes a very loud noise if everyone is there to hear it.  The associated press used to determine the national champion in football based on press voting.  Now everyone considers the champion to be the BCS champion despite the fact that the AP still crowns a champion that might be different.  Does anyone care about the press vote now?  They're both just entities.  If we're getting the best teams together to wrestle, based on their wrestlers' performance in real matches...why does it have to be meaningless because the acronym on the organizing body is different?  I don't get this idea."

To me this perfectly describes the situation.  It is what we make of it.  There really is no reason that it shouldn't be considered a state title other than

the acronyn that is sponsoring it.

Isn't this a mythical championship though?  Not one recognized by the IHSAA.

I am all for it.  I think it will be a great event.  Who cares if the IHSAA crowns the team champion or not.  As long as the best teams participate you are going to see some great match ups.  I really really hope it can be moved to the end of the year.  To me the regular season is meant to prepare you for the post season.  And I think this should be a post season event.  2 weeks before Sectionals.  If teams have conference that weekend move it to a week before.  It will give teams a chance at the end of the season to have a day for practice if needed or to rest their wrestlers and go watch some good wrestling.

I am all for it.  I think it will be a great event.  Who cares if the IHSAA crowns the team champion or not.  As long as the best teams participate you are going to see some great match ups.  I really really hope it can be moved to the end of the year.  To me the regular season is meant to prepare you for the post season.  And I think this should be a post season event.  2 weeks before Sectionals.  If teams have conference that weekend move it to a week before.  It will give teams a chance at the end of the season to have a day for practice if needed or to rest their wrestlers and go watch some good wrestling.

I agree.  I wish we would adopt Michigan's timeline.  Move individual back an week and have team state the week after semi state.  That video of Morse and Whitfield was awesome in terms of buzz in the arena.  I know its a pipe dream but I think it would be ideal.

To me this perfectly describes the situation.  It is what we make of it.  There really is no reason that it shouldn't be considered a state title other than

the acronyn that is sponsoring it.

So to be clear, you will recognize Minnesota as the National Champs this year, despite what happens in a few weeks and despite Penn State not competing, right?

It's the same situation as this. 

Also, how many teams get to say they are state champs? Is it going to be like college football with a split state championship, the IHSAA and IHSWCA?

Smooth, the only clear facts about the IHSWCA event will be that it's going to be the toughest tournament to compete it in outside of individual state. No super dual will come close to the talent that will be seen next year here.

This event will be whatever the wrestling community wants it to be. That's all that can be said about it. Instead of arguing over the perplexity of split champions, or who's event will be recognized as the truer champion. I choose to look at this as being an exciting time for Indiana wrestling. We have an opportunity to show that duals are a very important aspect of this sport to the coaches, fans, wrestlers, and ultimately to the IHSAA. This is why this plan was put together. Again, this event will be what we make of it. Kind of open-ended, I know. But that's the exciting part of it for me personally. All the while, we'll be putting a good product out on the mat.

If we give up on this now, we show the IHSAA that we are disfunctional and nonchalant towards the whole dual idea.  We'll give them no reason to change their mind on wrestling being only an individual sport. Looking at states that surround us: Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio. All of them have state duals. Their culture speaks for itself, so they must know something about a team state and its impact on the wrestling community.

Smooth, the only clear facts about the IHSWCA event will be that it's going to be the toughest tournament to compete it in outside of individual state. No super dual will come close to the talent that will be seen next year here.

This event will be whatever the wrestling community wants it to be. That's all that can be said about it. Instead of arguing over the perplexity of split champions, or who's event will be recognized as the truer champion. I choose to look at this as being an exciting time for Indiana wrestling. We have an opportunity to show that duals are a very important aspect of this sport to the coaches, fans, wrestlers, and ultimately to the IHSAA. This is why this plan was put together. Again, this event will be what we make of it. Kind of open-ended, I know. But that's the exciting part of it for me personally. All the while, we'll be putting a good product out on the mat.

If we give up on this now, we show the IHSAA that we are disfunctional and nonchalant towards the whole dual idea.  We'll give them no reason to change their mind on wrestling being only an individual sport. Looking at states that surround us: Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio. All of them have state duals. Their culture speaks for itself, so they must know something about a team state and its impact on the wrestling community.

I agree that it will be exciting and probably the toughtest regular season super dual.  It will go up there with other regular season events such as Al Smith, Connversville, Bellmont Duals, Traicoff, etc.  Also, if it gets us back to a sanctioned IHSAA team state tournament, even better.

I just don't like calling the winner of the IHSWCA event the State Champions.  Just because people want it to be true, doesn't make it true.  I don't like the fact that Team State Champions will be most points scored at Individual State either, but that's the system we have been forced in to. 

I agree that it will be exciting and probably the toughtest regular season super dual.  It will go up there with other regular season events such as Al Smith, Connversville, Bellmont Duals, Traicoff, etc.  Also, if it gets us back to a sanctioned IHSAA team state tournament, even better.

I just don't like calling the winner of the IHSWCA event the State Champions.  Just because people want it to be true, doesn't make it true.  I don't like the fact that Team State Champions will be most points scored at Individual State either, but that's the system we have been forced in to. 

If you believe that a duals champion is important to have what other option is there?  The IHSAA dropped it, and is letting the IHSWCA start it.  I think that there are alot of positives that can come from this event, but it is contingent upon how it is recieved by the coaches, A.D.s, wrestlers, and fans.  If these groups of people view and accept the IHSWCA event as a championship event, then that is what it will be.  If these same groups choose not to support it the event will fail.  It is interesting that IMO we will need virtually all of the top teams to choose to participate in the event for it to be viewed as a championship.  If all of the top teams are there, then I do not see why it matters if it is an IHSAA or IHSWCA event.

Its a bit different but if a school wins state titles in Rugby, Lacrosse, Bowling, Hockey, ect then they ussually have a banner that hangs at their school celebrating the fact that they won their coaches association state title, should this achievments not Be celebrated because of the fact that they are not IHSAA sanctioned events?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.