best single season ever?

dbo

In Lance's 4 trips to the championship match the results were, Freshman he TF Scott Schultz, Chesterton, Sophomore he won 3-2 over John Faurote, Bellmont, Junior he got a major (12-4) over Mark Rosenbalm, Merrillville, and as a Senior he Pinned Scott Wilson, Rushville in a 1:15..... Pretty good showings I would say and did I mention he was like 172-0 with 155 falls.... I'm terrible at math but I believe that is about a 90% fall rate. 4 consecutive seasons of dominating.

In Lance's 4 trips to the championship match the results were, Freshman he TF Scott Schultz, Chesterton, Sophomore he won 3-2 over John Faurote, Bellmont, Junior he got a major (12-4) over Mark Rosenbalm, Merrillville, and as a Senior he Pinned Scott Wilson, Rushville in a 1:15..... Pretty good showings I would say and did I mention he was like 172-0 with 155 falls.... I'm terrible at math but I believe that is about a 90% fall rate. 4 consecutive seasons of dominating.

I thought he was 182-0...but whatever....he was damn good and at that time, THE most feared opponent...A guy I went to high school with wrestled him at semi state and got wiped VERY quickly and the guy was pretty good, that was back in the day when you only had to win one in SS to make it...I have been looking for some video of  Lance wrestling but I guess VHS doesn't transfer well to you tube....damn I'm old...

The story that I have always heard was that Talamantes cut because his teammate, Alex Tone (not sure about his first name), couldnt/wouldn't make the cut to 189.  Tone was pretty good in his own right, and Anton cut so that Tone could get in the line-up. That's the story I've always heard.  Either way Talamantes was pretty darn good, I doubt he would have cut to avoid anybody.

From what I heard, it sounds pretty accurate.  I also heard that Anton cut in preparation for wrestling in college, since he wasn't going to be a college Hwt.  He definitely didn't do it to duck Radnovich.

IMO I think Anton. The only reason I say that is because Radnovich was a big thrower and I just feel like Anton could stay out of those situations maybe better than most guys...My dream match up at 215 would have been Damon Hummel v.s. Dj Radnovich...Hummel being soo good but in 93-94 there was no 215.

Chad Ruggeri of Mt Vernon could be a name to throw in, his senior season went undefeated, and pretty much came in to the state tournament under the radar and dominated the state finals, with 3 first period pins and a tech fall in the semi finals, not to mention putting on a throwing clinic and pinning Dexter Larimore in the 1st period.

Great year - and I believe he took a Limo from Mt. Vernon to Indy........good stuff  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.