best single season ever?

dbo

I'm sure it's been discussed on here in the past, but I'm wondering everyone's opinion on who has had the most dominant single season in their mind / memory. There are several guys who have won multiple state championships, but who dominated the most at their high school peak?

Thanks for replies. I have always thought it was Radnovich. He completely dominated everyone he faced his senior year. I can't remember anyone going the distance with him that year. ? I can remember everyone talking about Talamantes cutting to 189 after winning it at 215 the year before. Everyone said it was to avoid Radnovich. I thought Lance Ellis went to Cathedral. ?

Brennan Cosgrove 2008

Went undefeated. Was NOT going to be denied a state title.

Beat the #1 ranked kid in the nation, Ramos from Illinois by major.

Pretty damn impressive, eh?

Reminds me of an old no fear t-shirt "The older I get the better I was" :o

I think DJ Radnovich from Gibson Southern Pinned nearly everyone he faced the year he went undefeated and won the state title, including everyone at state at 215 if im not mistaken?

DJ pinned everyone his senior year except Ian Spearman from Southport in the Seymour Semi State finals. I think that match was 4-3 in favor of DJ.

Brennan Cosgrove 2008

Went undefeated. Was NOT going to be denied a state title.

Beat the #1 ranked kid in the nation, Ramos from Illinois by major.

Pretty damn impressive, eh?

I know by your name you love you some Cosgrove I'm pretty sure Vince was ranked 5th in the country wasn't brennen ranked 10th. Tony Ramos was the higher ranked brother. Vince ended up taking 2nd in the nation at senior nationals. Cosgrove had a very good career I would say his Jr he dominated the Field more out aide of the McGill matches he majored everyone.

IMO Cashe quiroga had the beat season any wrestler i had ever seen beat the champ and runner up at 19 25 30 he ended up losing in the semi's to a freshman who hebbeat early on and ende his career with a Fargo title. Then went on to all American as a true freshman 

IMO Cashe quiroga had the beat season any wrestler i had ever seen beat the champ and runner up at 19 25 30 he ended up losing in the semi's to a freshman who hebbeat early on and ende his career with a Fargo title. Then went on to all American as a true freshman  

I also recall much of the wrestling community following Cashes in amazement as the ran through the top names in the state that year.  He seemed to be on a quest to beat every big name near his weight class and through the season he did just that. Which made Jason's win over him in the semi's even more impressive.  

Amazing season

Wins over

119 Eppert 2x champ runner up

119 Wright 2x champ 2x runner up

125 Tsirtsis 3x champ

125 grey runner up

132 Porras 2x champ runner up

132 spencer runner up

132 Harper 3x champ

I'm not saying there isn't a wrestler capable of doing this now but lot of guys don't get the chance to see all this talent

Amazing season

Wins over

119 Eppert 2x champ runner up

119 Wright 2x champ 2x runner up

125 Tsirtsis 3x champ

125 grey runner up

132 Porras 2x champ runner up

132 spencer runner up

132 Harper 3x champ

I'm not saying there isn't a wrestler capable of doing this now but lot of guys don't get the chance to see all this talent

An absolutely insane season, he also won Fargo and was runner up at senior nationals.

By far that has to be the most accomplished season not ending with a state championship.

Chad Ruggeri of Mt Vernon could be a name to throw in, his senior season went undefeated, and pretty much came in to the state tournament under the radar and dominated the state finals, with 3 first period pins and a tech fall in the semi finals, not to mention putting on a throwing clinic and pinning Dexter Larimore in the 1st period.

Chad Ruggeri of Mt Vernon could be a name to throw in, his senior season went undefeated, and pretty much came in to the state tournament under the radar and dominated the state finals, with 3 first period pins and a tech fall in the semi finals, not to mention putting on a throwing clinic and pinning Dexter Larimore in the 1st period.

Very dominate year.

Which season of Lance Ellis's career would you like to pick? I believe he was 172-0 with a 155 career pins..... I would say every year was pretty dominate.

There have also been some guys set records that we will never see touched that could probably be mentioned in this conversation. Most Falls in State Finals: 10 by Ray Frankowski pinned everyone he faced in the state finals in 3 years. 10 pins in 3 appearances 1936-38 (Frankowski pinned all 10 opponents in three years).

Ill never forget my freshman year at Merrillville when Dexter Larimore pinned almost everyone he wrestled in a tilt. At least most of the matches I remembered.... all of us know that tilt is not something you get pins out of but Dexter was so much stronger and greater that he was able too.

Also the fact that I do not think he warmed up once for a match. He would sit down and pretend to stretch out his legs than go out get a first period pin. They do not build heavys like that anymore...

Thanks for replies. I have always thought it was Radnovich. He completely dominated everyone he faced his senior year. I can't remember anyone going the distance with him that year. ? I can remember everyone talking about Talamantes cutting to 189 after winning it at 215 the year before. Everyone said it was to avoid Radnovich. I thought Lance Ellis went to Cathedral. ?

The story that I have always heard was that Talamantes cut because his teammate, Alex Tone (not sure about his first name), couldnt/wouldn't make the cut to 189.  Tone was pretty good in his own right, and Anton cut so that Tone could get in the line-up. That's the story I've always heard.  Either way Talamantes was pretty darn good, I doubt he would have cut to avoid anybody.

I am going with Ellis all 4 years...his senior year ended with a pin under the lights....plus I'm old and that's one memory that sticks (and the refs never made him cut his hair...hippy)..lol....Really there are too many to just get down to one...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.