Riding Time

Alduflux

I like the idea of rewarding a dominant rider, or perhaps I like the idea of punishing a kid that can't get out on bottom.  Either way I wish high school had riding time.  

I understand the college riding time rule is not feasible for high school as timekeepers can barely handle one clock that only ticks down.  I can't imagine the chaos of having to keep track of two clocks, with one of them ticking up and down.

I propose a simple riding time rule.   Ride a kid the entire period and you get a point.  Thats it.  If the other kid chooses down and can't get out the rider gets a point.  The kids that man up and choose top get a point if they ride the whole period.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of rewarding a dominant rider, or perhaps I like the idea of punishing a kid that can't get out on bottom.  Either way I wish high school had riding time.  

I understand the college riding time rule is not feasible for high school as timekeepers can barely handle one clock that only ticks down.  I can't imagine the chaos of having to keep track of two clocks, with one of them ticking up and down.

I propose a simple riding time rule.   Ride a kid the entire period and you get a point.  Thats it.  If the other kid chooses down and can't get out the rider gets a point.  The kids that man up and choose top get a point if they ride the whole period.

Thoughts?

Even though I don't think a rule like this will ever happen, I kind of do like the idea of getting a point for riding an entire period. It rewards the kid on top, especially if the ref is one who is scared to call stalling. Although, I do think a ref would have to be more aggressive in calling stalling on a rider who isn't trying to work.

Alot of times we have clock problems as it is, with workers not starting or stopping the clock.  Do you really think they could even handle riding time? I'm not even in to the wrestling part of the discussion yet. 

On another note you'll probably get more of a response to this topic any other time than state week.

Even though I don't think a rule like this will ever happen, I kind of do like the idea of getting a point for riding an entire period. It rewards the kid on top, especially if the ref is one who is scared to call stalling. Although, I do think a ref would have to be more aggressive in calling stalling on a rider who isn't trying to work.

I like it too, might as well since stalling is never called unless it's semi state or higher.

Thoughts?

I like the idea.  I always feel the responsibility should be on the bottom guy getting out. With the current rules it is hard for a ref to figure out who is stalling.  Is the top guy that good? Or is the bottom guy just not trying?  I know that riding behind the hips for too long is considered stalling but kids just learn different art forms for jumping out to the side and running 2 on ones or near side wrist rides.  If we are training kids for College why not try to emulate what they are doing more?

This goes back before my time, but I thought there was riding time back in the 60's? I was told a wrestler was awarded 1 point for each minute of riding time. This was also a time when the wrestlers started with one foot on the inner circle and there were referee's decisions.

We did have riding time when I was in high school in the early 60s.  Riding time was terrible and I am glad we got rid of it!  In my opinion, riding time is the #1 problem college wrestling has (notwithstanding Title IX).  Riding time provides even less incentive to turn an opponent and be offense minded.  Riding time makes our sport boring.  We need more rules to force offense, not add rules that simply increase stalling.

very true, kids will just want to try and ride people out instead of trying to turn them

OR.....

Maybe kids would actually actively try to escape since the top guy would be getting a point.  Too many times this year I have watched the bottom man turtle up, this makes me more mad than the kid on top just trying to ride.  And with officials being too afraid to call stalling on the bottom man (except Colburn, who would call stalling on a kid who is about to tech fall someone in the first minute of a match), I believe this should be a rule change.  This would also show the importance of a good ground game, thus we would (possibly) see less take him down, cut him situations.

One of two rules that I think need implemented on the high school level. That and 1 point inbounds constitutes a takedown (ie hand, toe, ect). Riding time awards the dominant wrestler and in my opinion makes a match more exciting to watch.

I would agree with both.  To many times I see kids using the out of bounds as a safety net.

I always considered scrambles on the mat the most exciting part of wrestling.  The offensive wrestler has to stop the defensive position before they can even begin to work their offense, if the bottom position stays in motion it keeps the match exciting.  Folkstyle is about who has control and who can take control, it is inherently different from Freestyle that is directly focused towards offense (hence when action stops, put them on their feet).  So I like the rewarding someone who can ride, isn't that the reason the last tiebreaker is the way it is, keep control and you win or lose control and you lose!

One of two rules that I think need implemented on the high school level. That and 1 point inbounds constitutes a takedown (ie hand, toe, ect). Riding time awards the dominant wrestler and in my opinion makes a match more exciting to watch.

I would LOVE both these changes.  The only problem with 1 supporting part in bounds is in bounds is...It would add move safety issues.  College mats are HUGE and have ample space out of bounds for this to not be a problem.  Most high schools do not have big enough mats to not have the safety issues.  But I am by no means against this, just if this rule was changed I could see the NFHS saying we need more space out of bounds for the safety issues.

We did have riding time when I was in high school in the early 60s.  Riding time was terrible and I am glad we got rid of it!  In my opinion, riding time is the #1 problem college wrestling has (notwithstanding Title IX).  Riding time provides even less incentive to turn an opponent and be offense minded.  Riding time makes our sport boring.  We need more rules to force offense, not add rules that simply increase stalling.

I agree, this would encourage stalling from the top. I believe to often the bottom man gets hit for stalling becuase he is not or can not get his hips off the ground, when questioned the ref states the top man was working to turn. But I am here to tell you with the crab ride, legs you can do so many things from the top to make you look like you are doing something and not really be doing a damn thing.  All a riding point is going to do is encourage a good first take down then crab and leg ride till the end of the period. No attempt to turn becuase you might get out of position and lose some ride time.

It would kill the sport in high school.  The fans don't want to see people getting ridden out, they want to see points scored so they can cheer (even though they don't know what they are cheering for). 

It is great for coaches and former wrestlers who would understand how dominating it would be to ride somebody the entire time. 

As a legs guy I can tell you that the majority of the time a wrestler has legs in and is not trying to turn their opponent, they get in trouble and get reversed and usually took to their back.  You have to give the opponent some credit for not going to their back when someone throws legs in.  It is no different than a spiral ride or other pinning combination.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.