Best high school wrestler without a state championship?

Jayruss

mike venesia is making his first state appearence and has beaten some quality wrestlers the last three years.

he's a great wrestler but there is no way he belongs in this thread. that being said, i hope he crushes this weekend. I'll be rooting for him.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Braden Atwood. Beat the eventual state champion both his junior & senior seasons

He's also having a great freshmen season at Purdue, I think hell be a national champ before he's done with college

Also he has beaten 2 more state champs in Ian Hinton & Marcus Shewsberry this season

Agreed!!!

Jeff Pease -If my fading memory serves, he was dq'd at semi-state for a slam as a junior and suffered a pretty severe broken ankle the start of his senior season.  I was on the team with him at Junior Nationals (Cedar Falls back then) and he hammered everyone, extremely dominant.

Man this topic comes up every year around this time and my vote is always Eric Douglas,  2-time runner-up, losing to the same guy from Ben Davis (can't remember his name).  

If you know Coach Douglas, he is not much of a talker, and I asked him about his high school career along time ago. After his junior year, he made his mind up that he was going to wrestle whatever weight the Ben Davis wrestler was going to go,  many people don't think that way anymore when it comes to wrestling.  Even though he didn't get a state title, he didn't shy away or dodge people, he went after them, and that is the type of  attitude you need to have in such a tough sport.  

He also went on and finished Runner-up at  Senior nationals and became and All-American at Purdue University.  Great resume for never winning a state title.

Coach Weimer

He is a pretty good ping pong player too.

I was unfamiliar with his body of work. 4x Fargo (was it in Fargo back then?) champ (FS/Greco  once as cadet and once as Junior).

He has my vote.

I believe Cadets were in Warrensburg, Mo. Juniors were in the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls.

I gotta go with Pease on this one as well.

Atwood is a great pick, but at that weight I would have to go with a kid who beat Atwood, Johnson-Jones, Sliga, and Goldman, the kid only wrested twice in the state tourney due to injuries. Only losses in those two years is to  Shewsberry   in OT his sophomore year in the semi?s and lost to Goldman in triple OT in the finals weekend before beat Goldman 5-2.

But my pick would be Justin kieffer for some reason the kid always would beat Ethan Ralley in the regular season then they

would end up on the same side of the bracket at state, Justin beat Ethan his sophomore year Friday night but his Jr. and Sr. year fell short

Shane Perkey Jimtown-highest finish 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 2nd Division II UIndy

Great match with Angel Escobedo his senior year.

Charlie Pingleton Greencastle-2X runner up, 7th, 4th Division II UIndy

Mike Jackson-1X state qualifier, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd Division II UIndy

Jeff Pease was very good also, multiple time AA for Central Oklahome Division II, too bad he got out of state.

Just some guys that I think need mentioned.

1.  Gil Journey, PM - sooo fast.  Thought for sure he would get one his senior year

2.  Craig Macke, EMD - 4x making it to the semi's.  If not for Angel, he is a 2x champ

3.  John Boes, Princeton - big time thrower.  Dominated people his last 2 years.

4.  Rusty Head, EMD

5.  Toby Turner, Monrovia

6.  Jamie Murray, Decatur Central

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.