Best high school wrestler without a state championship?

Jayruss

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sliga Brooks  and Micic

Sliga tops the list 4x Fargo Champ, cadet USAW triple crown winner, 3rd at Super32. He is amassing the best national resume ever from IN, may already have it.

Then Brooks,  Fargo Junior runner-up, Super32 champ (only the 2nd IN wrestler to win this)

Micic Fargo champ as 1st year Cadet (chance at 2x Cadet Fargo Champ, only one to do this is Sliga)

Sliga Brooks  and Micic

Sliga tops the list 4x Fargo Champ, cadet USAW triple crown winner, 3rd at Super32. He is amassing the best national resume ever from IN, may already have it.

Then Brooks,  Fargo Junior runner-up, Super32 champ (only the 2nd IN wrestler to win this)

Micic Fargo champ as 1st year Cadet (chance at 2x Cadet Fargo Champ, only one to do this is Sliga)

I will be suprised if these three dont. Brooks is unbelievably good this year and will likely win it this year. Sliga is the favorite this year but if he doesnt win it this year, next year is all his. Micic is young, could win it this year, but i expect him to bring it home sometime soon

Currently wrestling -  Devon Jackson (but he will win one this year)

Former high schol wrestlers  -  Jeff Pease Muncie Southside...  he has more National Championship than any other Indiana wrestler I believe.  Multiple  double Fargo champion....  DII All-American

Sliga Brooks  and Micic

Add Jackson and you got a helluva list. 2 time runner up, once to Raley and once to a soon to be 4 timer.  Super 32 champ

Braden Atwood. Beat the eventual state champion both his junior & senior seasons

He's also having a great freshmen season at Purdue, I think hell be a national champ before he's done with college

Also he has beaten 2 more state champs in Ian Hinton & Marcus Shewsberry this season

In recent memory, its almost certainly either Macke, Dolly or Atwood. Dolly made the round of 12 three times, beating national champion Shane Webster during his first NCAA run. Hes also had some international success in freestyle and greco. Atwood is well on his way to a successful collegiate career.

I'm pretty sure this thread says best HIGH SCHOOL wrestler, so what they went on to do in college shouldn't mean anything.  I also wouldnt mention guys that are still in school and still have a chance to win. Because if they do win then they can't be on the list...and shouldn't be mentioned...

Add Jackson and you got a helluva list. 2 time runner up, once to Raley and once to a soon to be 4 timer.  Super 32 champ

Jackson's had some tough matchups in the finals, great wrestler I hope this is his year.

BTW he was a runner up at Super32. Another tough double overtime loss to a complete stud from CA, his na,e something like Cisernos.  So close, I'll be pulling for him.

Currently wrestling -  Devon Jackson (but he will win one this year)

Former high schol wrestlers  -  Jeff Pease Muncie Southside...  he has more National Championship than any other Indiana wrestler I believe.  Multiple  double Fargo champion....  DII All-American

I was unfamiliar with his body of work. 4x Fargo (was it in Fargo back then?) champ (FS/Greco  once as cadet and once as Junior).

He has my vote.

I agree with Atwood...Dominated his senior year but fell short in OT under the lights. Currently, Braden is the highest ranked freshman in the nation at 184lbs! Had a 4th place Midlands finish,  has wins against numerous ranked opponents and also pinned both Marcus Shrewsberry (1x champ) and Ian Hinton (2x champ).

Sometimes falling a little short of your goals can be great motivation for the future...Atwood's future looks bright!

I'm pretty sure this thread says best HIGH SCHOOL wrestler, so what they went on to do in college shouldn't mean anything.  I also wouldnt mention guys that are still in school and still have a chance to win. Because if they do win then they can't be on the list...and shouldn't be mentioned...

Post-high school results are relevant because they give proof of a wrestler's true talent, i.e. not all 3 and 4 time placers are created equal. Guys like Dolly, Atwood and Macke were beaten by really, really good state champs and the former two went on to show just how good they are.

On a related note, its quite an indicator of just how good wrestling is in Indiana right now, since we have a handful of non-champs who are nationally ranked, e.g. Sliga, Willis, Mullins, Campbell, Jackson and Micic. Very impressive and, I daresay, unprecedented in Indiana's wrestling history.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.