NHSF -Proposed Rule Change 2012-13

aoberlin

1. That on the third penalty for stalling, the opponent ? in addition to the penalty points ? be awarded the choice of position on the next restart.

2. When a takedown is secured, the wrestler shall be awarded two match points for the first takedown and three match points for each additional takedown.

3. When near-fall criteria is met for two seconds, the wrestler in the advantage position will be awarded three match points; when near-fall criteria is met for five seconds, the wrestler in the advantage position will be awarded four match points.

4. Allowing a wrestler to compete in six matches in any one day (championship or consolation), including forfeits.

5. Reducing the rest break between consecutive matches from 45 minutes to 30 minutes.

6. Making the straight-body scissors an illegal hold/maneuver.

I like the first one.  Other than that none of them look great to me.

I disagree with number 2 because the first takedown is the most important points of the match. With that being said, why should the most important takedown/points be worth less than other takedowns. I would be more likely to go for the first takedown being worth 3 and the rest 2. Ultimately I am against proposed rule change 2, 3, and 6.

Rule changes 1, 4, and 5 seem like great ideas to me.

All is just my opinion of course.

1. That on the third penalty for stalling, the opponent ? in addition to the penalty points ? be awarded the choice of position on the next restart.

2. When a takedown is secured, the wrestler shall be awarded two match points for the first takedown and three match points for each additional takedown.

3. When near-fall criteria is met for two seconds, the wrestler in the advantage position will be awarded three match points; when near-fall criteria is met for five seconds, the wrestler in the advantage position will be awarded four match points.

4. Allowing a wrestler to compete in six matches in any one day (championship or consolation), including forfeits.

5. Reducing the rest break between consecutive matches from 45 minutes to 30 minutes.

I like the first one.  Other than that none of them look great to me.

I like #1 as well. Not too fond of the others.

#3 is awful. Suppose someone does a failed granby and gets caught on their back a quick 2 count before getting off, there is now a 3-point difference.

You lovers of folkstyle are just a little off!  You and the NHSF realize how incredibly boring folkstyle is.  You see how much stalling is going on.  You see the lack of action (hence award 3pts for extra TDs or 4 for NFs) and realize that corrective action needs to be taken before old people like me fall asleep in the stands.  But you and the NHSF just won't allow yourself to admit that freestyle, or freestyle-like rules are the solution to the problem.  So the NHSF comes up with some real whoopers to encourage more action.  :o  The NHSF needs to grow up!  They have been at this for years and are only about two decades behind where we should be nationally with the rules.

Look, freestyle and greco have plenty of problems.  But the folkstyle community has got to get over this we-can't-use-freestyle-rules-but-lets-create-pseudo-rules-similar-to-freestyle attitude.  Just copy the darn freestyle rules that make the sense to liven up a folkstyle match and get it over with.

You lovers of folkstyle are just a little off!  You and the NHSF realize how incredibly boring folkstyle is.  You see how much stalling is going on.  You see the lack of action (hence award 3pts for extra TDs or 4 for NFs) and realize that corrective action needs to be taken before old people like me fall asleep in the stands.  But you and the NHSF just won't allow yourself to admit that freestyle, or freestyle-like rules are the solution to the problem.  So the NHSF comes up with some real whoopers to encourage more action.  :o  The NHSF needs to grow up!  They have been at this for years and are only about two decades behind where we should be nationally with the rules.

Look, freestyle and greco have plenty of problems.  But the folkstyle community has got to get over this we-can't-use-freestyle-rules-but-lets-create-pseudo-rules-similar-to-freestyle attitude.  Just copy the darn freestyle rules that make the sense to liven up a folkstyle match and get it over with.

I just find it funny how everyone that "hates" freestyle complains about the "constant" rule changes...because they NEVER change the rules in folkstyle.

These rules are ridiculous, I will just tell our kids to give up the first takedown(why work for it?) get the escape and play takedown let up.  How would you like to tell a kid that him and his opponent both had an escape, and both had a takedown, but since the other kid's takedown was second he wins the match?  Or how will you explain that to a casual fan?  What other sport says that the first time you score it is x points and after that it is x+1 points?

I just find it funny how everyone that "hates" freestyle complains about the "constant" rule changes...because they NEVER change the rules in folkstyle.

These rules are ridiculous, I will just tell our kids to give up the first takedown(why work for it?) get the escape and play takedown let up.  How would you like to tell a kid that him and his opponent both had an escape, and both had a takedown, but since the other kid's takedown was second he wins the match?   Or how will you explain that to a casual fan?  What other sport says that the first time you score it is x points and after that it is x+1 points?

I don't think the rule states the 2nd takedown of the match is worth 3.  I think it means that the second takedown and so on that you get is worth 3.  Before you can get your second takedown, you obviously have to get your first.  Therefore, if wrestler A gets a takedown and escape and so does wrestler B, the match is tied 3-3.  The next takedown from here on out is worth 3 points for each wrestler.

I don't think the rule states the 2nd takedown of the match is worth 3.  I think it means that the second takedown and so on that you get is worth 3.  Before you can get your second takedown, you obviously have to get your first.  Therefore, if wrestler A gets a takedown and escape and so does wrestler B, the match is tied 3-3.  The next takedown from here on out is worth 3 points for each wrestler.

It is not clear in the statement above.

Freestyle rules have made that more boring....  push outs and stalling are dominating freestyle now at high levels... having a tie score end with a win for whoever scored last in nuts....  freestyle rules ae just as bad as folkstyle rules....

Freestyle rules have made that more boring....  push outs and stalling are dominating freestyle now at high levels... having a tie score end with a win for whoever scored last in nuts....  freestyle rules ae just as bad as folkstyle rules....

AJ, you may be correct about the Olympic level.  But then again, at that elite level we have always seen very cautious wrestling.

If you look at the cadet and junior level, I do not believe your suggestion is accurate.  Set points/scoring aside because freestyle and folk have different scoring values.  If you were take a group of high school wrestlers and have them wrestle a folkstyle and then a freestyle tournament.  And you just made a hashmark for every takedown and back exposure, you would see far more hashmarks in the freestyle tournament.  That is a lot more action.

I would respectfully submit it is also why the NHSF continually is coming up with these pseudo-freestyle rules.  I wish the NHSF would just copy the freestyle rules that make the most sense in folkstyle.

With these rules someone can have a six point lead with 7 or 8 seconds left and bam! They get tossed in a last desperation head lock or throw and their solid six point lead is beat by one seven point move. Seems like a little too many points for one move. Not a fan of these rule changes.

I think this thread came up on the perfect day.  I follow a lot of wrestlers, coaches and wrestling related twitter accounts and this morning Cael Sanderson had a great opinion which I find really relevant.  He was saying how we don't need to keep adding rules, maybe considering taking some away.  We want mor wrestling fans and people won't watch what they don't understand, so why make it more complicated. Besides wrestling is already the greatest sport why do people feel they need to change it? It's not broken why try to fix it?

FYI - These are NOT being proposed at this time.  These were just some questions from a survey to see what coaches think of these ideas.  If the survey results don't show overwhelming support, then they won't be proposed.  If any of these ideas show quite a bit of initial support, then they will be proposed, analyzed, and voted on.

Freestyle IS ridiculous. Push outs and stalling are the norm.

The sixth match being added to the day sounds great in theory, but in practice it would possibly add an extra two rounds to 6 ways.  Currently there are 6 teams, three mats, and 5 duals that take place at a 6 way.  If we add a sixth match to match to the day, that would mean 7 teams, and that each team would have a bye round added into the day.  That makes for a pretty long day of wrestling.

If they'd implement #2 & #3 they should also change the definition of a major decision and tech fall to something like 12 and 20.  If points are easier to come by the wrestler should have to score more to benefit his team.

I don't like #2 especially.  I see too many wrestlers now that don't work for the fall and rely on their advantage on their feet.  I could live with the others (1 and 4-6).  Not sure if #5 would have much effect on most tournaments, tough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.