IHSWCA Middle School State Feedback

jkwalnut

The big gym looked like a nice event...

The small gym was a nightmare.

Overcrowded - the fire marshal would have had a cow for sure, now where to sit, no where for kids to warm up. I seen multiple altercations over seats, people standing.

Tape ALL your cords down next year to prevent them from getting kicked out and causing delays.

Weighins - designate points for entry/exit

Trainers/medic station - none could be found, had 2 pull out the personal stash of supplies to help with injuries multiple times.

There was a kid that fell in the big gym on the wet concrete stairs and cracked his chin open, no trainer, no ice to be found.

Did anyone else see big guys restarting every 10 seconds on the small surfaces in the gym?

I liked the weight classes assigned to mats----though I would put lighter weights in the gym. 

Have designated corner for coaches----some kids seemed to have a coach on every side of the mat

I have been to the last 5-6 and this was the best run I have seen---nice job!

Pretty well ran for the most part. A couple hiccups with some computer problems.

I thought they could have at least taped down a red line and a green line. Too many of the refs were slowing some of the matches down trying to get guys in certain areas and making them move up an inch or so.

As for the small gym it was a nightmare. It might be better off  keeping the bleachers closed and make people sit/hangout in the main gym. That way they can leave a little open room for those getting ready to wrestle. When it's time for wrestler/coach to come over and those watching as well they have a little room to walk up and stand near a mat instead of dodging and almost tripping over everyone crowded in the area. It's a short walk to walk over and check match #'s.

First and foremost, I thought the event was run beautifully.

Same mat all day was an excellent change from last year to this year. It does get difficult though with two gyms, but only one gym has PA system. I heard about some delays in some of the groups, but ours, which was one of the bigger ones ran very smooth all day with no more delays than I would expect in a 50+ bracket.

The second gym was a bit of a mess as far as spectators. Last year they didn't roll out the bleachers in that gym. When we first got there I thought the extra seating was a good idea. But in retrospect, maybe not. After wrestling it wasn't a good place for a wrestler to be. Just to hot and stuffy. IMO might be better to leave those bleachers rolled up next year, with the largest seating capacity in the state right across the hall. I do understand the thought of trying out the extra seating this year though.

I do agree also that some of the areas of importance could have been marked. We knew where everything was from last year, but I can understand that new comers may have had some trouble.

All in all, Great tournament, the only Elite youth tournament in the state of Indiana! Very well done IHSWCA, ISWA staffs and New Castle High School. Thank you very much for a great day of wrestling.

The big gym looked like a nice event...

The small gym was a nightmare.

Overcrowded - the fire marshal would have had a cow for sure, now where to sit, no where for kids to warm up. I seen multiple altercations over seats, people standing.

Tape ALL your cords down next year to prevent them from getting kicked out and causing delays.

Weighins - designate points for entry/exit

Trainers/medic station - none could be found, had 2 pull out the personal stash of supplies to help with injuries multiple times.

There was a kid that fell in the big gym on the wet concrete stairs and cracked his chin open, no trainer, no ice to be found.

Did anyone else see big guys restarting every 10 seconds on the small surfaces in the gym?

lol that small gym was horrible..i am suprised no fights broke out ..geez it was really that bad

Agree that the little gym situation could be improved.  Some suggestions:

1.  Leave the bleachers in and having the littler guys wrestle there (bigger wrestlers = equal bigger parents usually and therefore less room)

2.  Move the starting stripes so the wrestlers start neutral facing the "long" way of the taped off mats (therefore decreasing the out-of-bounds restarts which slows things down)

3.  Put a Trackwrestling dashboard screen observable by everyone in the main gym to avoid trips to the table to check bout #s.

Very good tournament overall and getting that many matches in is commendable.  Thank you to everyone for a great day of wrestling!

This is a big event for youth wrestlers and to only give medals for top 3 and RIBBONS for 4th, 5th, and 6th and nothing for 7th and 8th!! Common show so respect to the kids!! Also put these kids up on a podium and give them some recognition!! $35 to enter this tournament I think you can invest in the kids because that is what this tournament is about and not fattening some ones pocket!! Ribbons really???

This type of tournament should had larger or full wrestling surfaces for the larger kids at least. Dividing up the mats in the small gym  into 4 areas was wrong, kids were falling all over each other and thats not including their parents. Several matches would have ended differently if full mats or larger areas was being used. Refs made some bad calls on kids being out of bounds especialy on mat 7 and 8 not consistant at all but then again maybe alarger surface might have helped.

Yesterday was the first time I've been there for four years. All I can say is great job I can remember my son wrestling his last match at 11:45pm!!!! You had your first match started at 9:02 thats excelent.

Room seems to be your only problem now not sure what you can do about that. I seen some poor Ref's take some abuse being kicked by kids and run over by kids but I thought they did a great job.  Thanks Van Barroquillo

They need to add scoreboards that are the size of billboards for each mat so that people are actually paying attention to the match numbers.  I can't count how many times the table had to have the PA announce a name to report to a mat.

Other than that, I thought it was a great tournament.  I didn't have to deal with the smaller gym.

Small gym was a little crowded but every1 survived! What needed to be fixed is the small score thingy used to tell what bout they were on! Up and down all day long to make sure we didn't miss our match. My son was in a match and his opponent got a nose bleed , there were no wipes,paper towel, or nose plugs.  I thought at one time what if someone got hurt was there anyone here to help them? Later in the day someone did get hurt and his dad or coach had to carry him to the other gym to get looked at.  For a state tournament a lot of things went well but some of the most important things were missed in my opinion.  What ever happened to coaches only mat side?  People crowded matside all day and it was not only hard on the wrestlers but on the officials also. The refs couldn't figure out who was complaining the parents or coaches or just some kid yelling for his buddy!  IMO it should be copper card holders and up in the corners. 

rope off mat areas, provide security, coaches display cards to gain entry

With the setup, coaches could not even be seated without obstructing scoring tables, they should have been designated on bleacher side of the mats.

Why do we have different weights throughout the state for middle school wrestling? It seems middle school wrestling needs to be organized a little better for the whole state. The tournament had some kids wrestle more than 5 matches. High School only allows 5 for the day. I know I seen several kids wrestling late into the evening that were exhausted from the long day, but also because it was their seventh match of the day. Does the entry fee money benefit a organization? $35.00 to wrestle and after 7 matches you place 5th and they say good job here is a ribbon for all your hard work.

First time attending the event and at the end it was great matches for my son. Sad to see no podium like at ISWA state or even small $5.00 medals for 1-8.

I encourage who ever is in charge to spend some money for the kids and recongnize them for there hard work.

I completely agree with honoring the kids. They join a youth Basketball league and the first and second place teams all get trophies, they work their buts off, pay 35.00 entry fee and get a ribbon? Come on, talk about cheap! Why would we not demand at least the cheap cheesy medals? I'd prefer a trophy for 1st and 2nd at least for the state events. I can see the smaller events not wanting to do this, but come on, biggest middle school event in the state and they get ribbons, that's just sad!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.