Best Refs

ckcampbell

Let's recognize our best referees.  We are quick to criticize refs who make mistakes. This is not what I want here. I would like for you to just recognize good referees who are solid during the heat of a battle.  I saw one ref who went to his assistant before the coach could even protest because he knew his call was difficult at the Evansville Semi-State. Way to go Randal Hayes!  So let's list and comment on our best in our sport.  Secondly I want to encourage all of you past wrestlers to get your license and get out there and referee. We need you!

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Officials/Licensing/tabid/572/Default.aspx

Let's recognize our best referees.  We are quick to criticize refs who make mistakes. This is not what I want here. I would like for you to just recognize good referees who are solid during the heat of a battle.  I saw one ref who went to his assistant before the coach could even protest because he knew his call was difficult at the Evansville Semi-State. Way to go Randal Hayes!   So let's list and comment on our best in our sport.  Secondly I want to encourage all of you past wrestlers to get your license and get out there and referee. We need you!

I was at E'ville and saw that as well. I don't think I've ever seen it before. Hats off to you Referee Hayes!

Jim Littlejohn is an excellent ref. Definitely one of the best, if not the best. Always, always glad when he's the ref on my kids' mat(s). He knows the sport and the technicalities and calls a match superbly. Also has a great "matside manner" with coaches when explaining the rules, or his calls, to those that may not understand or may not have seen what caused the call.

Let's recognize our best referees.  We are quick to criticize refs who make mistakes. This is not what I want here. I would like for you to just recognize good referees who are solid during the heat of a battle.  I saw one ref who went to his assistant before the coach could even protest because he knew his call was difficult at the Evansville Semi-State. Way to go Randal Hayes!   So let's list and comment on our best in our sport.  Secondly I want to encourage all of you past wrestlers to get your license and get out there and referee. We need you!

I saw the exact same thing happen at Evansville between refs Jeff McClane and Charles Barnett. That's what the assistant is there for, and the refs who don't use their assistant are handicapping themselves. Nice job guys!

All the above mentioned Refs certainly deserve recognition because they do more than just officiate a good match.  Rules Interpreter, Mentor new officials, coordinate officials for youth and summer tournaments, etc. But to me the best refs are the ones that go unnoticed and most people wouldnt know their name to put in a thread like this. 

So to all the officials that put a ton of time and effort into this very grueling job and do it because they simply love wrestling... I thank you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.