Crume vs. Phillips

LHS_Wrestling

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit that I am a casual fan and know far less than most on this board, but am I wrong in thinking that everyone on here is overlooking the possibility either will not have a cake walk in the 2nd round match against Van Hook?

I dont think anyone is over looking anyone, one of them have to get to the second round first...thus not over looking their first opponent!

I'll admit that I am a casual fan and know far less than most on this board, but am I wrong in thinking that everyone on here is overlooking the possibility either will not have a cake walk in the 2nd round match against Van Hook?

first time caller, long time listener...

Reguardless, Ayersman will be on top come saturday night! Crume over Phillips Friday Night Hands Down. Phillips is a sore loser, i'm sorry but i'm not sorry, I hope crume majors him. To lose in the semi finals at semi state then sit out the 3rd and 4th place match because your a sore loser is pathetic. Maybe I'm wrong and don't know the whole story or maybe its part of his coaches strategy? But BOTTOM line is, This isn't 103-106 Phillips..... YOU CANT HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS.

Reguardless, Ayersman will be on top come saturday night! Crume over Phillips Friday Night Hands Down. Phillips is a sore loser, i'm sorry but i'm not sorry, I hope crume majors him. To lose in the semi finals at semi state then sit out the 3rd and 4th place match because your a sore loser is pathetic. Maybe I'm wrong and don't know the whole story or maybe its part of his coaches strategy? But BOTTOM line is, This isn't 103-106 Phillips..... YOU CANT HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS.

I thought it was an injury that kept him out

I thought it was an injury that kept him out

Injury/Strategy Call it whatever you want. You don't make it that far and sit out. Like I said maybe I don't know the whole story, maybe he was hurt but from a very reliable source I hear he was just upset that he lost and quit. Winners don't quit. END OF STORY -- I'm sorry I'm not sorry. Good luck Friday Night to both guys, but I'm taking the Jimmie on this one! Go Crume!

Was you there? I hope that your not an adult getting on here bad mouthing a young man that for your information was injured.

And as far as hanging with the big boys I guess we will find out Friday night.

Don't see how Phillips could be considered over rated. 2x state champ and 3rd last year. I think he has proved himself. Seems to be a lot of criticism for someone not risking further injury on a 3rd place finish. Regardless of everyone's thoughts, Friday night will be an awesome display of wrestling

do you remember there freshman year at state how ayersman acted after he lost in the semi's. you must not be a wrestler yourself , or you would know how it is to lose and how your emotions are

ANy one give thought to the matter that maybe Phillips wanted a #1 right off the bat and he knew his risks, was willing to risk it and knew that by IDF his 3rd pl bout he would guarantee at least a semifinals rematch (barring upsets before hand) with Lecount.  I dont know too many 2x State Champs that care too much what pl;ace they get if it isnt the top place.  He's not going to the state tournament to medal, he's already done that.  He is going to win a state championship and will have to eventually beat Ayersman, Lecount. Crume, etc.  a.i.  So it's an all or nothing attitude.  I love it.  As soon as I realized he IDF'd on Saturday and Lecount got his hand raised I thought it was genius on Cody's part.  Whether on accident or on purpose.  If you ain't first, you're last.

Im sorry, but a guy purposely losing a match is BS no matter what the situation. I find it hard to give respect to a kid who wanted to get 4th after losing in the semis. Injury or not, just wrestle the match! Even though Phillips has 2 rings, I believe that Crume will beat him on Friday night. Crume dec Phillips 6-3.

ANy one give thought to the matter that maybe Phillips wanted a #1 right off the bat and he knew his risks, was willing to risk it and knew that by IDF his 3rd pl bout he would guarantee at least a semifinals rematch (barring upsets before hand) with Lecount.  I dont know too many 2x State Champs that care too much what pl;ace they get if it isnt the top place.  He's not going to the state tournament to medal, he's already done that.  He is going to win a state championship and will have to eventually beat Ayersman, Lecount. Crume, etc.  a.i.  So it's an all or nothing attitude.  I love it.  As soon as I realized he IDF'd on Saturday and Lecount got his hand raised I thought it was genius on Cody's part.  Whether on accident or on purpose.  If you ain't first, you're last.

Ok spin doctor...lol ;)

It is like this. There is one person who knows if Phillips was hurt too bad to wrestle or not.  That person is not me, nor is it anyone else on this thread. We all know who that person is I would think.  Whether you agree or disagree with the decision that was made is pretty much irrelevant, it is done.  Like someone already said, he would have to beat them all anyway to win a title. So lets get off the dead horse and just wish all of these young men the best of luck.  They will sure make it an interesting weekend...

idk much about crume but this is what i can say. if he only beat carroll 5-0, hed better have more than that because carroll is good but hes not in that next level yet. (ayersman will prove my point sat morning) on the other hand idk what crume looks like but if his body stature is long and he is as good as avertised hell have a fighting chance. phillips is having trouble with the length of the bigger wrestlers. todd last year at SS. he only beat randall 6-1 saturday and def struggled with the length. and lecount stretched him out too. so if crume is long he will stand a chance if he is short and stocky and only beat carroll by 5 hes in big trouble and phillips will win.

He wasn't hurt other than his pride. After the match he walked off the mat grabbed his warm-ups and mouthed to his coaches he's done and walked away.  I was setting in front row.  He then walkes up the stairs and talked to his dad, then went to bleachers and put his shoes,headgear and a shirt in his bag.  Oh he sat by his dad during awards ceremony for his class. Didn't look at all hurt!!

Was he too hurt to go accept his award?

I seem to recall a certain 140lb state champion by the name of Danny Williams do the exact same thing his senior year. He lost in the semis at semi-state suffering from a pre-existing injury and forfeit his match for 3rd place. Does anybody respect him any less for doing that..... I didnt think so.

I seem to recall a certain 140lb state champion by the name of Danny Williams do the exact same thing his senior year. He lost in the semis at semi-state suffering from a pre-existing injury and forfeit his match for 3rd place. Does anybody respect him any less for doing that..... I didnt think so.

Did Williams attend the award ceremony?

I don't think there is a single wrestler who has reacted well to losing EVERY single time. Dan Gable pouted for a week after losing his final NCAA match (until his mom got in his ___). Metcalf never handles losing well. Sanshiro Abe never showed up to the awards after finishing 2nd at the Big 10 Championships. Best reaction I've seen after losing under the lights was last year when Brooks was trying to give Todd knucks and hug him.

Bottom line is these are wrestlers, young wrestlers. You don't get to that level without being a fiery young man (or woman). If they were robotic in the way they control emotion and wrestling, it just wouldn't be exciting to watch. If these kids were without displays of emotion (that may get the better of them sometimes) this sport wouldn't survive. Fans wouldn't feel for the kid whose dreams get crushed on a last second takedown. We wouldn't scream wildly at the huge upsets. We wouldn't be cheering for the kids who have been through ____ for the past year. We wouldn't give standing ovations for 4 timers. We wouldn't appreciate the kids who have already learned class and are trying to impart that to those around them who are still coming to grips with success and failure...

Without emotion, under control or otherwise....we'd all be watching mathletes at state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.