Crume vs. Phillips

LHS_Wrestling

Minnesota Golden Gophers

2012 Recruiting

Brandon Kingsley-Apple Valley, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 149 LBS

Accomplishments: 2012 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2011 Junior National Freestyle 4th Place, 2011 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2010 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Minnesota AAA State Champ

Sam Brancale-Eden Praire, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 125/133 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Minnesota AAA State 3rd Place, 2010 Cadet National Freestyle 4th Place, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Cadet Greco-Roman National Runner-Up, 2009 Minnesota AAA State 6th Place

Dakota Trom-Apple Valley, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 141 LBS

Accomplishments: 2012 Cheesehead Invitational Champ, 2011 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2010 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2010 Cadet Freestyle National Runner-Up, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Minnesota AAA State Champ

Cody Phillips-Union Co., Indiana

Projected Weight: 125 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Indiana State Runner-Up, 2010 FloNational Runner-Up, 2010 Indiana State Champ, 2009 Indiana State Champ

Michael Kroells-Scott West, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 285 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 FloNational 3rd Place, 2011 Minnesota AA State Champ, 2010 Cadet Freestyle National 3rd Place, 2010 Minnesota AA State Runner-Up, 2009 Cadet National Freestyle 3rd Place, 2009 Minnesota AA State 6th  

Zane Zeman-Avon, Ohio

Projected Weight: 157 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Ohio DII State Runner-Up, 2010 Ohio DII State Qualifier

Only one kid has more state titles goin to minnesota next year and thats Brandon Kingsley and thats in classed wrestling so is that better?

Awesome copy and paste skills buddy. But wait, I'm about to pick it apart.

Brandon Kingsley not dominate? #10 in the nation at 160. Check the bolded accomplishments, thats a pretty damned impressive resume. Better than 95% of recruits in Indiana. He wrestles for Apple Valley, ever heard of the school? You aren't going to be a multiple time state champ at AV and not be dominate.

Brancale- ranked #12 in the nation in your boy Phillips same weight class. Arguably the deepest weight in the nation this year. Btw, Ayersman is ranked #15 behind this "non dominant wrestler". Also, multiple time Fargo AA, pretty damn dominate to me. 3x state champ. (That makes TWO kids that have more state titles.)

Trom- #12 at 132 (same weight Neal Molloy is #20). Once again an Apple Valley kid. Cheesehead champ, multiple time Fargo AA, resume speaks for itself.

Kroells- ranked #4 in the nation at 220, multiple Fargo AA's should I go on?

Zeman I'll give you, never heard of the kid.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know 103 is the easiest weight to win at.

Actually there are a number of us who believe 285 is the easiest weight to win a title at.  Remember folks, just because a weight class is dominated by upper classmen doesnt mean it's tough.  Pretty sure 285 is about the only weight class where a kid who just started wrestling in h.s. can win a state title.  Maybe even a kid who started wrestling his soph or jr year. 215 might also fall into this category.

Does anyone remember Steven Bradley? He was an awesome wrestler, like 3x from Beech Grove and he couldn't hack it at Iowa...failed out, couldn't make weight, just gave up. He eventually started coaching and wrestled for a smaller school in Illinois. Point is nobody can decide Phillips future, I hope the best for him, but he has a long road in the Big Ten! He's definitely not going to dominate, but hopefully can learn to hang.

I believe Bradley was at Oaklahoma State not IOWA

guess that shut you up didnt it? and im not a union county fan thank you they were a hated rival when i was in school but same conference i just like to see the TEC represented well and Phillips has done a great job of that over the last four years

No it didn't "shut me up". I was getting that out before I picked apart your copy, paste skills. I also haven't said once that I don't think he is a great wrestler or anything in that regard. I personally think he has done great things in his career and hope like hell he proves me wrong at Minnesota, but I'm also realistic.

how can you guys say winning at 103 is easy? 1. he is still the state champion. 2. that means he beat the best. 3. when your at 103 beating another 103 pounder is equivilent to a 145 pounder beating a 103 pounder!

No it didn't "shut me up". I was getting that out before I picked apart your copy, paste skills. I also haven't said once that I don't think he is a great wrestler or anything in that regard. I personally think he has done great things in his career and hope like hell he proves me wrong at Minnesota, but I'm also realistic.

i guess only time will tell then.... and decent job on the break down even though i still think phillips will have a great college career

i guess only time will tell then.... and decent job on the break down even though i still think phillips will have a great college career

Thank you and yes only time will tell the story. I wholeheartedly hope he does have a great career at Minny. As a fan of the sport, I cheer for every single Indiana wrestler on the college level.

I am obviously a big Cody Phillips fan, always have been and will continue to be! I understand people favoring their favorite wrestler but are we really going to argue about Indiana wrestlers and their future? Cody will have a great career under J-Rob and I too like Former Wrestler think that he could be a national champion at the D1 level. I hope Ayersman has a great career at Purdue.

Thank you and yes only time will tell the story. I wholeheartedly hope he does have a great career at Minny. As a fan of the sport, I cheer for every single Indiana wrestler on the college level.

Then why must you break them down in high school then just be a fan.

Actually there are a number of us who believe 285 is the easiest weight to win a title at.  Remember folks, just because a weight class is dominated by upper classmen doesnt mean it's tough.  Pretty sure 285 is about the only weight class where a kid who just started wrestling in h.s. can win a state title.  Maybe even a kid who started wrestling his soph or jr year. 215 might also fall into this category.

I actually thought about that too after I had thought about it some more. Jeremiah Harvey from what I heard was just a football stud that started wrestling junior year and won state senior year.

how can you guys say winning at 103 is easy? 1. he is still the state champion. 2. that means he beat the best. 3. when your at 103 beating another 103 pounder is equivilent to a 145 pounder beating a 103 pounder!

While that's true, 145 and 152(The two middle weights) are generally more more talent spread. Take Tsirtsis out of 145 and it would be a toss-up as to who wins. 152 could have a bunch of people come out as champions. 138, while Jackson is the clear favorite, there are MANY others that are fighting for the 2nd and 3rd spots. Whereas, like many have pointed out, no one stands a chance of coming close to Boston, Micic, or Cash this year. Maybe it's just this year, but I think the middle weights are less clear cut than 106 and 113. But anyway, this is about Crume and Phillips, so this will be my last comment on the tough weight matter.

Then why must you break them down in high school then just be a fan.

Please, show me where I broke anyone down? Indiana has had two D1 national champions in my era in Howe and Escobedo. I was simply being a realistic and somewhat knowledgeable fan. Our state isn't really known for producing national champions. My intent was to prove how bold of a statement that was.

I think this says it all!

Agree that it is a bold statement but I still stand by it. Do you realize how hard it will be to crack the line-up at Minnesota? You guys predict he'll win national titles, I predict he won't start. That doesn't take away the fact that I hope he proves me wrong or that if he would've chose a school other than Minnesota I think he too, would also be a 3/4 year starter.

Agree that it is a bold statement but I still stand by it. Do you realize how hard it will be to crack the line-up at Minnesota? You guys predict he'll win national titles, I predict he won't start. That doesn't take away the fact that I hope he proves me wrong or that if he would've chose a school other than Minnesota I think he too, would also be a 3/4 year starter.

so you dont think a great coach like j rob can turn a raw and coachable kid like phillips into maybe not a national champion but atleast an all-american?

so you dont think a great coach like j rob can turn a raw and coachable kid like phillips into maybe not a national champion but atleast an all-american?

Yes i do. There are a lot of other factors to take in though. Adjustment to college, depth of the room, meshing with the coaches and teammates, balancing school and wrestling are all considered in my opinion.

Minnesota Golden Gophers

2012 Recruiting

Brandon Kingsley-Apple Valley, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 149 LBS

Accomplishments: 2012 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2011 Junior National Freestyle 4th Place, 2011 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2010 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Minnesota AAA State Champ

Sam Brancale-Eden Praire, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 125/133 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Minnesota AAA State 3rd Place, 2010 Cadet National Freestyle 4th Place, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Cadet Greco-Roman National Runner-Up, 2009 Minnesota AAA State 6th Place

Dakota Trom-Apple Valley, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 141 LBS

Accomplishments: 2012 Cheesehead Invitational Champ, 2011 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2010 Cheesehead Invitational Runner-Up, 2010 Cadet Freestyle National Runner-Up, 2010 Minnesota AAA State Champ, 2009 Minnesota AAA State Champ

Cody Phillips-Union Co., Indiana

Projected Weight: 125 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Indiana State Runner-Up, 2010 FloNational Runner-Up, 2010 Indiana State Champ, 2009 Indiana State Champ

Michael Kroells-Scott West, Minnesota

Projected Weight: 285 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 FloNational 3rd Place, 2011 Minnesota AA State Champ, 2010 Cadet Freestyle National 3rd Place, 2010 Minnesota AA State Runner-Up, 2009 Cadet National Freestyle 3rd Place, 2009 Minnesota AA State 6th   

Zane Zeman-Avon, Ohio

Projected Weight: 157 LBS

Accomplishments: 2011 Ohio DII State Runner-Up, 2010 Ohio DII State Qualifier

Only one kid has more state titles goin to minnesota next year and thats Brandon Kingsley and thats in classed wrestling so is that better?

i think cody is in way over his head at minnesota......he was never a cheesehead champ like these other guys......lol......cheesehead?......really?.....seriously though, being a 2x indiana state champ (with the chance to be a 3x), in my opinion, carries more weight than being the champ of the classed system......but that's a whole nother conversation that has been beat to death.......good luck to all our indiana boys this weekend!

I'm thinking that if Phillips can adapt well to not being the stud of the wrestling room, he has a chance to be very successful at Minnesota. I feel like he's probably the more raw talent of the guys in this discussion. Not to take anything away from anyone involved in the U.C. program but they just don't have an equal depth of talent in their practice room as say....Ayersman, or Crume. (yes I know they had Duckworth) Am I wrong? Good luck to them all. I hope to see them wrestling for a big ten championship soon.

I'm thinking that if Phillips can adapt well to not being the stud of the wrestling room, he has a chance to be very successful at Minnesota. I feel like he's probably the more raw talent of the guys in this discussion. Not to take anything away from anyone involved in the U.C. program but they just don't have an equal depth of talent in their practice room as say....Ayersman, or Crume. (yes I know they had Duckworth) Am I wrong? Good luck to them all. I hope to see them wrestling for a big ten championship soon.

I agree that UC doesn't have the depth in the room...we are a school of around 450...they are lucky to get 25that kids to come out but if you look at some of the wrestlers to come out of UC over the past decade you would realize there have been some quality wrestlers to come through.

I'm thinking that if he can compete for a BIG 10 Title he would be in the hunt for a National Title too!! Since you can be ranked 5th in the nation but still be 3rd in the BIG Ten ::)

I sure wasn't knocking union county. I think their coach does an awesome job considering the fact that they are a small public school. I was just saying that I think Phillips would benefit from being pushed by some more even competition at practice. I'd say for example... Lecount is being tested daily in the PM room. I have to assume Phillips can ease through everyone in his wrestling room within several weight classes. That doesn't serve him well. I think when he gets use to being pushed by guys his size (@Minnesota) he's likely to get much better. That's kinda scary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.