Crume vs. Phillips

LHS_Wrestling

I get your statement and it does make sense.  I've put some thought into the fact that the Phillips/Crume winner will have a tough match Friday, a dogfight with LeCount on Saturday, and then have to beat a two time champ.  I'm not sure anyone has that type of tank, but I guess we'll find out.  Ayersman shouldn't be challenged until the final and the other side will be put through the ringer just to get to the championship match. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tons of valid posts. This has to be the most talked about Friday night matchup that I can remember. My favorite part of the entire weekend is the intros of the finalists. I always get goosebumps when they start rattling off the accomplishments of these kids. For that reason I'll be there rooting for a Phillips vs. Ayersman showdown. It's not every year that we get to see two two- timers square off under the lights.

I seem to recall a certain 140lb state champion by the name of Danny Williams do the exact same thing his senior year. He lost in the semis at semi-state suffering from a pre-existing injury and forfeit his match for 3rd place. Does anybody respect him any less for doing that..... I didnt think so.

I think the question is: Was an injury truly behind the decision to not wrestle?  In Danny's case it truly was to rest the healing leg or ankle.  It wasn't due to poor attitude because of a loss.  Big difference.  I do not know the situation concerning the Phillips boy or pretend to know, but the circumstances are everything. 

I'll take Phillips in this match everytime. Now with his loss and injury he has a chip on his shoulder, he has people questioning his toughness, both physical and mental. I believe we will see the same Cody Phillips that won two state titles in a dominant fashion and I think he will be there to stay.

I agree with what you said, but it is also important for us as coaches to hold them accountable for their actions.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be diappointed, he absolutely should be, but it is important for us to try to guide them in the right direction on and off the mat.  This means not making excuses for why they didn't report to the awards stand and making them do the right thing even when they don't want to.  If losing a wrestling match is the worst thing that ever happens to them they are set up to have a great life.  It is our responsibility to to get them ready for real life, and this means giving them guidance on how to act especially when things don't go the way they wanted or expected them to.  It is our responsibility as coaches to make btter people, not just better wrestlers. 

I agree. What we teach em when they lose, especially when life is unfair and they feel robbed is more important than actually winning.

I get your statement and it does make sense.  I've put some thought into the fact that the Phillips/Crume winner will have a tough match Friday, a dogfight with LeCount on Saturday, and then have to beat a two time champ.  I'm not sure anyone has that type of tank, but I guess we'll find out.  Ayersman shouldn't be challenged until the final and the other side will be put through the ringer just to get to the championship match. 

I would bet Ayersman is not looking ahead to other matches or counting on anything yet, except wreslting one period at a time, as he know Chandler Carroll is a very good wrestler, and that Broukal and Boston are both wrestling well.

Im taking phillips not only to get past crume but to take home the title too. Everyone doubts him sayin hes not as physically strong or big enough to hang at 126 but let me remind you of a quote that alot have people have heard speaically from small towns. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, Its the size of the fight in the dog that matters" and let me tell you something phillips has a motor that never stops hes just a scrapper that never stops fighting.

Phillips will pull it off. When it comes down to it I think he'll come out on top. To the people saying he'll get dominated/pinned/beaten by 2+ haven't seen him wrestle. Lecount has refs on his side, he should have never have gotten that last take down, he never gained control. It was stalemate. If Phillips is 100% Hell put 110% into every match and go into the finals and beat ayersman by 2+. IMO Phillips has it.

Totally disagree...Phillips has not been the same since getting beat by Mason Todd. He talked about never wrestling again and then took a break from nationals. He hasn't really had to wrestle any quality opponent, being from union county.  He peaked early  and is not got the strength at 126, like he did at 103. I think he is for a rude awakening when he enters the big ten!

Did he tell you that personally?? Because I highly doubt that...he took last summer off of wrestling so he could heal up....Union County wrestles a very tough schedule for a school that size...it's not Cody's fault that when we wrestle the bigger schools they decide to sit their better wrestler or bump him away from Cody...He is definitely strong enough to compete with any body at 126..as far as the Big Ten is concerned, I'm sure Cody knows its going to be tough, it is the best college wrestling conference in the Country! He may take his lumps but I can guarantee he won't be making excuses! Go get em Cody!!

Totally disagree...Phillips has not been the same since getting beat by Mason Todd. He talked about never wrestling again and then took a break from nationals. He hasn't really had to wrestle any quality opponent, being from union county.  He peaked early  and is not got the strength at 126, like he did at 103. I think he is for a rude awakening when he enters the big ten!

Are you kidding me? He placed third in the state last season. He barely lost Saturday at New Castle, in what was a pretty questionable decision really. I don't see where everyone is dogging Phillips' ability. Is two state championships, a third and a two-loss season horrible?

Also, he wasn't the only wrestler at New Castle to forfeit a match. Didn't Gino Gillum do the same thing against Connor Mullins after winning his ticket round match?

Also, I have watched Phillips' last three losses. Each time he graciously shakes his opponents hands, the other coach's hands and then quietly walks off the mat. There have not been any tantrums in the public eye. Last year at this time people were talking about how classy he was in defeat, and now everyone is ripping him as if he is a poor sport. I just don't get all the critism.

I wasn't trying to compare like opponents. Im just sayin carroll isn't a phillips, ayersman, todd, lecount. He's a very talented wrestler but he's not in that next level. Like I said ayersman will show this saturday morning. And the reason I mentioned body structure is bc phillips has looked good against or could even say like he has in the past against shorter or average heighth opponents. And only struggles with the longer kids. Crume very well may beat him in a close one but I don't think the strength or another wrestlers ability bother him like length does.

I wasn't trying to compare like opponents. Im just sayin carroll isn't a phillips, ayersman, todd, lecount. He's a very talented wrestler but he's not in that next level. Like I said ayersman will show this saturday morning. And the reason I mentioned body structure is bc phillips has looked good against or could even say like he has in the past against shorter or average heighth opponents. And only struggles with the longer kids. Crume very well may beat him in a close one but I don't think the strength or another wrestlers ability bother him like length does.

Carroll is not that far off.  He is an extremely tough and talented sophmore.  I believe he was a multiple triple crown winner when he was a little younger.  If I was a betting man I would say before the end of his high school career he will be under the lights also.

Are you kidding me? He placed third in the state last season. He barely lost Saturday at New Castle, in what was a pretty questionable decision really. I don't see where everyone is dogging Phillips' ability. Is two state championships, a third and a two-loss season horrible?

Also, he wasn't the only wrestler at New Castle to forfeit a match. Didn't Gino Gillum do the same thing against Connor Mullins after winning his ticket round match?

Also, I have watched Phillips' last three losses. Each time he graciously shakes his opponents hands, the other coach's hands and then quietly walks off the mat. There have not been any tantrums in the public eye. Last year at this time people were talking about how classy he was in defeat, and now everyone is ripping him as if he is a poor sport. I just don't get all the critism.

Agree with everything in this post, and want to add a couple of points. Gillum did idf against Mullins, yet wrestled for 3rd successfully an hour or so later. Apparently, he is a very quick healer. Also, remember the trouble Ayersman had with Campbell's quickness in last year's finals? IF Phillips can survive the guantlet, through the brackets...he has a great chance to  beat Ayersman in the finals.

Carroll is not that far off.  He is an extremely tough and talented sophmore.  I believe he was a multiple triple crown winner when he was a little younger.  If I was a betting man I would say before the end of his high school he will be under the lights also.

I completely agree with you. The next couple years he will really shine. But all im saying is this year is not it. Its like saying james is a really talented freshman and the next few years he will be tough does that mean he's as good as brooks right now? No, same thing with carroll he's gonna be tough just not as good as phillips or ayersman right now.

Phillips is the best wrestler in the state. People can talk all the crap they want about him but i know him personally and I KNOW he is going to come out strong and dominate everyone. No doubt, he may of gotten beat but i can assure you that he will be ready and dominate Friday. 8)

Phillips is the best wrestler in the state. People can talk all the crap they want about him but i know him personally and I KNOW he is going to come out strong and dominate everyone. No doubt, he may of gotten beat but i can assure you that he will be ready and dominate Friday. 8)

I love unbiased opinions!!

I too find it interesting how quickly the tide turned on Phillips. The question no one seems to be asking, and that I want to know, is what is Phillips' injury and any word on if he is going to be able to wrestle this weekend?

We have watched the kid for years now and he has shown nothing but toughness. When he lost for the first time in his high school career, at SS last year, he still got up on the podium. When he lost his chance to be a 4xer  in the Semi's at state last year to a kid he dominated the year before, he still came back and wrestled the consolations to take 3rd.

It seems to me if he were a head case, as some seem to be implying, those 2 losses last year would have been much more devastating than his loss at SS this year. I don't know the kid and really only saw him wrestle in the state tournament the last three years, but nothing I have seen from him would suggest he is a head case.

All of this brings back my question, how serious is his injury?

I sure hope he is able to wrestle -- I have said it on here before, the matchup between Ayersman and Phillips was the one I was most looking forward to this weekend.

Everyone saying he is overrated and not a hardworker. Im just saying you can argue with me when any of the other kids are a 2 time state champ, third place finisher and going to wrestle in the big ten at on of the nations best colleges.

Ayersman?

2 time state champ? check

3rd place finisher? check

wrestling in the big ten? check

Everyone saying he is overrated and not a hardworker. Im just saying you can argue with me when any of the other kids are a 2 time state champ, third place finisher and going to wrestle in the big ten at on of the nations best colleges.

I just think that saying that he is the best wrestler in the state is a bit much. No doubt he is a very good wrestler, but he is not the best wrestler in the state by any means.

Quote from: UCpatriots21 on Today at 01:12:10 PM

Ayersman?

2 time state champ? check

3rd place finisher? check

wrestling in the big ten? check

Zing!  Dudes got a point

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.