Crume vs. Phillips

LHS_Wrestling

I don't think there is a single wrestler who has reacted well to losing EVERY single time. Dan Gable pouted for a week after losing his final NCAA match (until his mom got in his ___). Metcalf never handles losing well. Sanshiro Abe never showed up to the awards after finishing 2nd at the Big 10 Championships. Best reaction I've seen after losing under the lights was last year when Brooks was trying to give Todd knucks and hug him.

Bottom line is these are wrestlers, young wrestlers. You don't get to that level without being a fiery young man (or woman). If they were robotic in the way they control emotion and wrestling, it just wouldn't be exciting to watch. If these kids were without displays of emotion (that may get the better of them sometimes) this sport wouldn't survive. Fans wouldn't feel for the kid whose dreams get crushed on a last second takedown. We wouldn't scream wildly at the huge upsets. We wouldn't be cheering for the kids who have been through ____ for the past year. We wouldn't give standing ovations for 4 timers. We wouldn't appreciate the kids who have already learned class and are trying to impart that to those around them who are still coming to grips with success and failure...

Without emotion, under control or otherwise....we'd all be watching mathletes at state.

I agree with what you said, but it is also important for us as coaches to hold them accountable for their actions.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be diappointed, he absolutely should be, but it is important for us to try to guide them in the right direction on and off the mat.  This means not making excuses for why they didn't report to the awards stand and making them do the right thing even when they don't want to.  If losing a wrestling match is the worst thing that ever happens to them they are set up to have a great life.  It is our responsibility to to get them ready for real life, and this means giving them guidance on how to act especially when things don't go the way they wanted or expected them to.  It is our responsibility as coaches to make btter people, not just better wrestlers. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was you there? I hope that your not an adult getting on here bad mouthing a young man that for your information was injured.

And as far as hanging with the big boys I guess we will find out Friday night.

Injured or not, you attend the awards ceremony. You stand there with pride & accept your awards, its showing good character & sportsmanship.

From what Ive heard, after his match he went sat next to his dad & didnt even get up for 3/4 place match while his coaches were looking around for him to report in for the 3/4 place match. IDK I wasnt there, but either way injured or not you attend the awards ceremony.

ANy one give thought to the matter that maybe Phillips wanted a #1 right off the bat and he knew his risks, was willing to risk it and knew that by IDF his 3rd pl bout he would guarantee at least a semifinals rematch (barring upsets before hand) with Lecount.  I dont know too many 2x State Champs that care too much what pl;ace they get if it isnt the top place.  He's not going to the state tournament to medal, he's already done that.  He is going to win a state championship and will have to eventually beat Ayersman, Lecount. Crume, etc.  a.i.  So it's an all or nothing attitude.  I love it.  As soon as I realized he IDF'd on Saturday and Lecount got his hand raised I thought it was genius on Cody's part.  Whether on accident or on purpose.  If you ain't first, you're last.

Great post, especially the part at the end. If you aint first, you're last. This guy is a national caliber wrestler, who already has his college set (Big Ten). He is not here to place, he is here to win it. Friday night will be tough but he's going for it. I am sure Jrob wont penalize him if he doesnt succeed. Do you people actually think the 8 placers are the 8 best? Win it all

do you remember there freshman year at state how ayersman acted after he lost in the semi's. you must not be a wrestler yourself , or you would know how it is to lose and how your emotions are

So your saying its ok to be a sore loser, not shake hands, stomp off the mat, throw headgear, etc after a loss??

I don't think so, yes wrestling is an emotional sport & at times it's hard to not show emotion, but you do your BEST to remain HUMBLE when you win and control your emotions when you lose.  Win or lose you hold your head high and be PROUD knowing you put every ounce of energy into the match and you gave it your best and if on that day you were beaten by a better opponent, then you  tip your hat & go back to work so next time you can be the victor.

& yes these wrestlers are young men, teenagers, but we as Adults & coaches must instill discipline into our athletes and lead by example, we must teach these young men the value of Character. We can not condone these actions and must teach our wrestlers humility & self control

Here's 1 of my favorite wrestling poems. I encourage you to read it.

"Why Wrestle?"

Wrestling prepares a person to fight the game of life. The wrester is the one athlete that must meet his opponent and do battle completely on his own; No one can substitute, no time outs are possible.He has no one to check, screen, block, or assist him in any way; There is no one to blame for his mistakes. When he wins, he must show quiet pride and modesty. When he loses, the responsibility is his. Wrestling is a true sport. In other sports, when contact is made, they blow the whistle to stop the action; In wrestling, when contact is made, we're just getting started.No other sport requires more sacrifice then wrestling. Individual, through self-denied, offers more of his character than can ever be explained.Through every trial, test, and tribulation.

Cody shook Lecounts hand and the PM coaches hands then grabbed his stuff and went up top...he didn't throw his head gear or stop off the mat moaning and groaning...should he have gone down for awards yes but he didn't...he made a mistake...he's not perfect it happens...I think he will be ready Friday night!

FC215 I also have a little free time every now and then ;)

Must say I'm a little shocked at how many people are counting Phillips out. I don't agree with the way he acted Saturday, but this kid has won two state championships. To say he is done before the tournament even starts is crazy. I've seen Ayersman, Crume, and Phillips all wrestle several times over the past few years and in my opinion if they're all at their best he has just as good a shot as anyone. Thank God they're gonna decide this thing on the mat this weekend. No matter what anyone writes!

Was you there? I hope that your not an adult getting on here bad mouthing a young man that for your information was injured.

And as far as hanging with the big boys I guess we will find out Friday night.

That would of been my senior year & I do remember quite well. Ayersman was stripped of a title that year, lost in OT when his coaches told him to go down when he knew he could of rode out and won a state championship. The way he acted afterwards was not acceptable but he was a freshman then maybe 14 or 15 years old and on that stage to come that close to catching your dream and losing.. I'll let it slide this time... but when you are a 2X state Champ and at semi state to lose and act like that.. What a poor Sport.

For ayersman his freshman year there was no tomorrow, for phillips there is saturday. He still has one weekend to prove he has it. Lick your wounds and get back out there! Friday Night is going to be CRAZY! Good luck to both wrestlers

Geez count the lights. It's one thing to get on here and voice your opinion, but you have done nothing but slam the Phillips kid. You've written several posts all saying essentially the same thing... You really like Ayersman, and would rather he wrestle Crume than Phillips! Gee wonder why?

Geez count the lights. It's one thing to get on here and voice your opinion, but you have done nothing but slam the Phillips kid. You've written several posts all saying essentially the same thing... You really like Ayersman, and would rather he wrestle Crume than Phillips! Gee wonder why?

Id be offended... If your opinion mattered

But however, I did say good luck to both wrestlers.. Its going to be an exciting friday night, why not HYPE it up even more... Honestly Phillips will beat Crume in my Opinion but still has no easy road for his 3rd state title.. Nothing against the kid personally- I'm not to bash anyone

I've sat back and watched the conversation. It is really hard to analyze the situation without being there and knowing what was said or done (I was in Evansville watching the #4 over #1 fest).  Coming from a coach and official I understand sitting a wrestler for being injured.  The alarm that sounds is when a wrestler does not report to the awards stand.  I see that as essentially saying "I'm too good to stand below somebody I just lost to"; especially with reports of the wrestler sitting in the stands.  As coaches we are supposed to be instilling a plethora of values into our athletes.  Wrestling is not football or basketball.  There are plenty of spoiled immature professional athletes in other sports to go around.  Wrestling teaches us respect, determination, hard work, acceptance of victory with humility, and acknowledgment of defeat with grace.  As a coach it is unacceptable for my wrestler not report to the awards stand.  We must keep our athletes accountable because if they compete and succeed on the mat without demonstrating the values being taught we have still failed.

That's just my opinion.  It should be an incredible match Friday night and if defeat comes for Mr. Crume I sympathetize for him.  He could be the second or third best wrestler in the weight class and may be watching the action on Saturday.

There is a difference between being HURT and being INJURED -- Know the difference.....

hurt   /hɜrt/ Show Spelled [hurt] Show IPA verb, hurt, hurt?ing,  noun, adjective

verb (used with object)

1. to cause bodily injury to; injure: He was badly hurt in the accident.

2. to cause bodily pain to or in: The wound still hurts him.

3. to damage or decrease the efficiency of (a material object) by striking, rough use, improper care, etc.: Moths can't hurt this suit because it's mothproof. Dirty oil can hurt a car's engine.

4. to affect adversely; harm: to hurt one's reputation; It wouldn't hurt the lawn if you watered it more often.

5. to cause mental pain to; offend or grieve: She hurt his feelings by not asking him to the party.

injury 

? n  , pl  -ries 

1.  physical damage or hurt 

2.  a specific instance of this: a leg injury 

3.  harm done to a reputation 

4.  law  a violation or infringement of another person's rights that causes him harm and is actionable at law 

5.  an obsolete word for insult 

Since count the lights wants people to know the differences between injury and hurt, I figured I would show the definitions. Please ignore number 1 under both  definitions because they clearly mean different things regardless of what the inaccurate dictionaries state.

Since count the lights wants people to know the differences between injury and hurt, I figured I would show the definitions.

ha give the guy a break. Personally I like the fact that he's not afraid to voice his opinion & go against the grain. Like he stated it's all HYPE. which in turn just adds a little more fuel to the fire and makes this match a little more exciting.

Ha this is why I love state week  ------------------> ''You may be able to walk the walk, but can you TALK the TALK''

I wasn't there to see the antics and t me it doesn't really matter because the thread was Crume V.s. Phillips..not Phillips v.s. 3rd place. or Phillips v.s. sportsmanship. I'm not in the kids head, or a part of the program..until now I've never heard anything bad about him so in my mind it was a bad day at the office..now to the match.. I reeeally like Crume and I think if he can pull this match out it might be that booster in confidence that could take him to the top of the podium. I can't say enough about how awesome Ayersman is wrestling...I think he is the head of the class but Crume and phillips are certainly capable of wrestling a great match and getting a W against him....Phillips I would assume that anyway you cut it when he didn't wrestle for 3rd or 4th knew he could have Crume or Ayersman first thing and didn't care because he knows what it takes to be a champ and you have to beat them all anyway so he has that confidence in himself and I really enjoy watching him. I haven't filled my bracket out yet but this is gonna be something special for all us on Friday night..

There are a few big showdowns right away but I don't know if in the 20+ yrs I've been going down that I've seen anything like this in the first round. A first round match that is worthy of putting in the middle with the lamp on...I'm leaning toward Crume maybe just on the chance the Phillips is injured or maybe even just down a little in the mental part right at the moment..Can you imagine though the bracket comes out and you are Crume and you see that you drew Cody Phillips. It had to be like getting punched in the gut for the evening....but I'm willing to bet that wrestling room is rocking as hard as it ever has in Jimtown right now..He's gotta be so amped up right now.This is gonna be awesome!!

idk much about crume but this is what i can say. if he only beat carroll 5-0, hed better have more than that because carroll is good but hes not in that next level yet. (ayersman will prove my point sat morning) on the other hand idk what crume looks like but if his body stature is long and he is as good as avertised hell have a fighting chance. phillips is having trouble with the length of the bigger wrestlers. todd last year at SS. he only beat randall 6-1 saturday and def struggled with the length. and lecount stretched him out too. so if crume is long he will stand a chance if he is short and stocky and only beat carroll by 5 hes in big trouble and phillips will win.

So let me get this straight... getting a takedown and riding out the rest of the first period, riding out the entire second period, and getting an escape, a quick takedown, and riding out the rest of the 3rd period with the 5th ranked wrestler that placed 3rd last year isn't that impressive?

Oh, and Crume isn't tall and long. He somewhat short and pretty good arms for a 126 pounder.

So let me get this straight... getting a takedown and riding out the rest of the first period, riding out the entire second period, and getting an escape, a quick takedown, and riding out the rest of the 3rd period with the 5th ranked wrestler that placed 3rd last year isn't that impressive?

Oh, and Crume isn't tall and long. He somewhat short and pretty good arms for a 126 pounder.

I would agree.  When I was in high school I remember looking at how other kids did against my opponent.  Oh Tommy beat Bobby by 5 and I beat Bobby by 6 so I should be able to beat Tommy.  Then I grew up and started coaching and I realized that doesn't really matter at all and it drives me nuts when people talk like that.  Back in my day Plymouth had a wrestler named Hutchens that was a 2 x state champ I believe that would beat everyone 1 - 0.  No one could get out from under him.  If you can't take a person down and you can't get out.  You lose.  Sometimes the points you don't give up a way more important than they points you get.  But with that said Crume has an offense and is very quick.  

Good luck to both I hope I am in a position to see the match.  That is one thing I hate about State is if you are a coach and you have a kid wrestling, and your short the view of the other matches suck.

I would agree.  When I was in high school I remember looking at how other kids did against my opponent.  Oh Tommy beat Bobby by 5 and I beat Bobby by 6 so I should be able to beat Tommy.  Then I grew up and started coaching I realized that doesn't really matter at all and it drives me nuts when people talk like that.  Back in my day Plymouth had a wrestler named Hutchens that was a 2 x state champ I believe that would beat everyone 1 - 0.  No one could get out from under him.  If you can't take a person down and you get out.  You lose.  Sometimes the points you don't give up a way more important than they points you get.  But with that said Crume has an offense and is very quick.  

Good luck to both I hope I am in a position to see the match.  That is one thing I hate about State is if you are a coach and you have a kid wrestling, and your short the view of the other matches suck.

I'll take the bad view from the floor over the good view from the seats every year.

I would agree.  When I was in high school I remember looking at how other kids did against my opponent.  Oh Tommy beat Bobby by 5 and I beat Bobby by 6 so I should be able to beat Tommy.  Then I grew up and started coaching I realized that doesn't really matter at all and it drives me nuts when people talk like that.  Back in my day Plymouth had a wrestler named Hutchens that was a 2 x state champ I believe that would beat everyone 1 - 0.  No one could get out from under him.  If you can't take a person down and you get out.  You lose.  Sometimes the points you don't give up a way more important than they points you get.  But with that said Crume has an offense and is very quick.  

Exactly! Look at the 170 results this year. Massengale pinned Austin Bowman. Tyler Willis only beat Bowman by a point, but Willis pinned Massengale first period(When he was healthy). Common opponents/how badly you beat someone doesn't prove that someone else can beat you or that you will beat them.

This is definitely the match I am looking forward to most Friday night. Last year there was a minor setback and I got there at 130, JUST missing the 125 weight class. Better not happen this year.

And just one more thing for anyone unaware of Crume; So far this year, 3 people have gone all three rounds with him not getting either pinned or teched. #1 Ayersman(2-5), #5 Carroll(5-0), and #8 Robert Boston(15-3).

I'm going to try this again from a different angle.  Let me qualify my question by saying I never wrestled nor coached at the state championship level and have no direct knowledge of any of Phillips, Crume, LeCount or Ayersman other than what I read here and can see on paper, which is impressive.

Using a basketball analogy, would a 2nd round match between the winner and Van Hook not qualify as a consummate trap match?  You have a highly charged opening match and the winner has LeCount to look forward to at the semis for a chance to wrestle under the lights.  I would think human nature would cause either of them to overlook Van Hook (assuming he wins).  I guess the opener being on Friday night would help the winner enjoy the win and have time to refocus.  Simply put, do any of you know enough about Van Hook to know if he has a legit sh0t at either Crume or Phillips?  Or are they at a different level?  Thanks for your thoughts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.