Any major upsets

TheFirst1990

Underwood getting beat in the ticket round by Oser. Not a huge upset but definitely didn't see it coming !

Underwood losing in the ticket round was a little bit of an upset for me too.  However, he lost to Seitzinger (Bloomington South).  Oser then beat Seitzinger in the semi-finals and lost in the finals to Lough.

I'm going to go with Kuhn losing to Hunter Fox at 106.  The only reason I'm thinking it was major is Kuhn was up 10-0.  Fox reversed him and got 3 back pts, but Kuhn escaped seemingly having avoided disaster.  Less than a minute later Fox had him on his back again and stuck him.  Maybe not a major upset, but a major turnaround for sure.

Was this in the first round or ticket round?

This was the first round. In OT, the ref gave a takedown to the Greencastle kid to win the match. There was no control and if anything, it should have been a stalemate. The entire stadium saw it and reacted, it was a legitimate bad call. I am typically not negative towards the officiating, but at this stage that call should have been obvious. Its not the way a top tier senior should have to end his career, but thats the sport and it happens all the time.

This was the first round. In OT, the ref gave a takedown to the Greencastle kid to win the match. There was no control and if anything, it should have been a stalemate. The entire stadium saw it and reacted, it was a legitimate bad call. I am typically not negative towards the officiating, but at this stage that call should have been obvious. Its not the way a top tier senior should have to end his career, but thats the sport and it happens all the time.

I am not a Castle fan BUT this had to be one of the worst calls I have seen in 35 years of watching this sport. Coach Harmon tried to argue the point and I thought he had it overturned and inthe end he got the shet end of the stick.

I am not a Castle fan BUT this had to be one of the worst calls I have seen in 35 years of watching this sport. Coach Harmon tried to argue the point and I thought he had it overturned and inthe end he got the shet end of the stick.

I don't post on here too much but I will agree that it was a terrible call.  I hope Louis Rosbottom feels good about himself knowing he blew not only that call but the near fall call as well.  Not only did I see him count to 2, but I also HEARD him say "1..2....no near fall".  I asked him to ask his mat assistant for his opinion and he told me that he would not ask him because it was his call.  What's the point of having an assistant official if you won't even ask him for his opinion?  Several of the other officials (I will not mention names) came up to me and told me that we got screwed on both of those calls.  I am not bashing all officials because I know it's a difficult job and there are only a few people in the state willing to do it, but don't let your personal opinion of a school/coach affect your officiating. 

I don't post on here too much but I will agree that it was a terrible call.  I hope Louis Rosbottom feels good about himself knowing he blew not only that call but the near fall call as well.  Not only did I see him count to 2, but I also HEARD him say "1..2....no near fall".  I asked him to ask his mat assistant for his opinion and he told me that he would not ask him because it was his call.  What's the point of having an assistant official if you won't even ask him for his opinion?  Several of the other officials (I will not mention names) came up to me and told me that we got screwed on both of those calls.  I am not bashing all officials because I know it's a difficult job and there are only a few people in the state willing to do it, but don't let your personal opinion of a school/coach affect your officiating. 

i agree 100%. It was obvious he had already made up his mind and i am not sure he would have changed his mind even if the assistant official told him to.

Wow, I never would have even thought that he would go out like that..

Even if he truly did not win, props to the Greencastle kid for hanging in there with him

I thought the Schurg -Gomez match was the biggest upset of the day.  Schurg

had bumped up in class twice and beat the 170lb champ 8to 3 and 11 to 1.  His

only losses had been to #1 Harvey, #3 Steveson and #4 Goodnight.  He will get to

see Goodnight at team state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.