Girl qualifies - Good or Bad?

wildcatcountry97

A lady qualifies for the state tournament

- For discussion sake...

1- Does this make the argument that the Merrillville Semi-State is the 'toughest' a little weaker? - If it does is that fair?

2- Was she that good today, or were the boys this morning wrestling that bad? TechFall and 10-0 is pretty darn dominant

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really sensitive subject and I'm going to get destroyed for what I'm about to post but I believe it makes a single class state like indiana look weak by having a female qualify for individual state.  Other "wrestling" states (I believe iowa?) have had a female qualify for state but I'm pretty sure it was in the smallest class.  States like alaska have had female champs but I wouldn't put their wrestling on par with a midwestern state.  Sorry, but this is my opinion.  I'll probably be approaching caliboy/demoguy/wc182dad for the most boos by nightfall.

i don't think that it has any bearing what so ever on the over all strength of the merrillville semi-state.  for one thing, you can't just take one quarter of one weight class to determine that.  it has to be taken over the entire field.  but, also, it seems that the young lady from culver brings a lot to the table.  congrats to her.

This is a really sensitive subject and I'm going to get destroyed for what I'm about to post but I believe it makes a single class state like indiana look weak by having a female qualify for individual state.  Other "wrestling" states (I believe iowa?) have had a female qualify for state but I'm pretty sure it was in the smallest class.  States like alaska have had female champs but I wouldn't put their wrestling on par with a midwestern state.  Sorry, but this is my opinion.  I'll probably be approaching caliboy/demoguy/wc182dad for the most boos by nightfall.

I think when Kayla is representing USA it will not be a surprise that she was Indiana's first female state qualifier. I don't think it weakens our State tournament but it certainly helps her resume! I like the fact that she accomplished this in a one class state because now she will not have the people saying it only happened because she was in the "small school" division. She should and will receive the credit she deserves. All is just my opinion of course.

Law - you actually just made a really good argument against class wrestling - Look out for Y2's wrath.

If it had been class wrestling, you're right, it would have been said that she couldn't qualify in the other divisions and would have greatly watered down her accomplishment. Bookmark this point the next time they start talking about class wrestling.

whoah chief.

I don't think anyone was 'hating' as you put it. I'm pretty sure everyone was overwhelmingly positive; the question was for discussion and did not mention any individuals name.

And - it still doesn't change the point that LAW made that a class system would allow an excuse to not give a girl credit where credit is due. I think that was a good point by Law.

If you were refering to 10old he was 'discussing' his thoughts on the 'discussion' forum, and did not refer to any individual wrestler. I think he was careful and sensitive to make his point and not be a 'hater,' but I could be wrong.

78-5 and counting 2x Semi-state and now state. Weak really!This wrestler puts in countless hours on the mat, you put her in class system we would be talking about how many title she was going to get. Haters.

I dont think anyone who isn't falling all over themselves in espousing their adoration for a female qualifying for state is a "hater."  They are just stating their opinion as to whether its a positive or a negative as to a female qualifying for state in indiana h.s. wrestling.  It's not personal by any stretch.  If it was personal then it would be "hating."

she is that good. Im sure if she was in a classed state, she would have qualified by now. Its not that the semi-state is weak, she obviously worked harder and wanted to win more in those matches. Don't degrade her qualifying by saying her opponents are weaker than "normal" wrestlers and thats why she made it. She got the draw and wrestled better

With the public/private debate raging on other sport board's (and here - Mater Dei) just a quick question, where is she from? It seems in the past a number of their football players came from all over the nation and the world. Mainly just curious where this private school wrestler is from?

You are an idiot. If you saw Kayla wrestle today you would know she is legit. I bet she places next week, and she is only a sophomore. 

With the public/private debate raging on other sport board's (and here - Mater Dei) just a quick question, where is she from? It seems in the past a number of their football players came from all over the nation and the world. Mainly just curious where this private school wrestler is from?

I think she is from Bloomington

I watched "THE Girl" yesterday and was very, very impressed.  Not only did she dominate at times, she was relentless even in defeat.  So I say, give her a chance and support her.  I didn't see her once expecting special treatment or complaining.  I know it would be hard to for a male to be beat in this sport by a female, but when the female is in better condition and has better technique the cards will fall where they may.  My daughter wrestled through the 5th grade and in all of that time beat one kid (a boy) and the boy's mother got in my face telling me what a disgrace it was to have a girl on the mat.  She promptly packed her kid up and left the tournament (hopefully to take him home  and wean him) and I say good-bye to any wrestler (or wrestler's parents) who can't stomach the thought of a girl beating them or their boy.

I have been watching this sport for 15 years and I will be cheering for her to beat all of her opponents because she deserves the support and respect of everyone as there as there is nothing a male is doing right now to prepare for the end of the season that she isn't doing.  Fair is fair.

Chromosones don't matter, it is the heart of the wrestler, the conditioning, the skill in technique and the desire.  Who could hold anything against a wrestler who has everything going for her but the wrong XY combination as defined by many for this sport?

Just my opinion...

I got a grandson who would like to play volleyball can he particapate in the state of indiana??????????

Let us be fair girls can wrestle can boys play on hte volleyball team?????? ;D ;D ;D

Kayla is pretty darn good. I stated in another post that it as all about the draw as well.  She took her  oppurtunity and made the most of it today. Congrats and good luck next week trying to become the first female placer in the state.

I am not a fan of girls wrestling in a boys program for several reasons.  Mainly it puts the boy in a socially bad predicament.  A boy can not possibly walk away a winner in this situation.  If he wins," big deal you should have won."  If he gets beat, you got beat by a girl you big wussy.  Another reason I don't like it is because of the uncomfortable and delicate manner of running certain moves.  The kid from Penn was clearly uncomfortable when he was trying to run a 2 on1 through the crotch.  He didn't know where to put his hands.  Having said that, I originally thought that the only reason this girl gets to state is by a favorable draw.  That was wrong.  She was amazing.  She may have got 4th place, but she was right there with each and every one of them.  In fact, she should have been in the championship because she pinned the kid from Penn and ref didn't get his butt down fast enough to call the pin.  I wasn't real impressed with her last year but I am a Kayla fan now.  As far as Merrillville being down this year in talent, it may be true to a small degree.  However, if I were the semi state champion that has to face Kayla, I would be a little concerned.  I think she can wrestle with about anyone at that weight except Boston and Micic.  On another side note if Merrillville is down it can only be from a depth perspective, cause let's face it, we are still gonna have 4 champs for sure in my opinion and that doesn't include the chances that Petrov, Micic, and Berry have at pulling out an upset title.  Do the math, 4 out of 14 champs doesn't sound down to me.  Just saying.  

A lady qualifies for the state tournament

- For discussion sake...

1- Does this make the argument that the Merrillville Semi-State is the 'toughest' a little weaker? - If it does is that fair?

2- Was she that good today, or were the boys this morning wrestling that bad? TechFall and 10-0 is pretty darn dominant

Since she has been beating most of the boys she has wrestled since she was a little girl, I would say she wrestled that good. You can spin this any way you want to. The fact is, she is the real deal...

You are an idiot. If you saw Kayla wrestle today you would know she is legit. I bet she places next week, and she is only a sophomore. 

I would put her up agains the top 5 in all states regardless of class and would bet she would finish with better than a 75% winning ration.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.