Merrillville semistate prayer

You have the ARC on your wish list, you'll get green mats.  I know you get plenty of the color green on your plate at the Bremen Super Dual, but Valpo would be the host school.

But this is a pipe dream.  Like it's been said before in this thread and numerous times, the Purple Matriarchs aren't letting go of that semistate until it's pried from their cold, dead hands.

White Angel,

The seating at Merrillville is a problem, of course. When they pull the bleachers out, it is more comfortable, yes. But that doesn't happen until the afternoon, when a lot of people have departed because their kids lost in the morning rounds. And that's not to mention the people who don't come at all, because they just don't want to deal with knees in their backsides and elbows in their face.

A much bigger problem, though, is simply the attitude of the Merrillville staff. Several staffers at Merrillville -- I did not say all of them, but several of them -- seem to forget that their gymnasium is full of paying CUSTOMERS, not prisoners-of-war.  This is an event for which fans pay good money; they deserve better than to be screamed at and herded like sheep. I do not condemn everybody there, some of the folks are truly courteous and friendly. But some of them are not, and I don't have to name names, because most people know whom I am talking about.

A sport which is desperately seeking good publicity is held in a venue where the staffers go out of their way to be antagonistic to the media. Talk to any reporter. No results, some years no place to sit, it becomes almost impossible for them to do their job. In fact, I know a couple who have specifically quit covering the event because it's such a pain.

And the lack of a hospitality room? Give us a break. The other semistates/regionals/sectionals all seem to somehow find a room for the coaches to go and visit and grab a Pepsi. But not Merrillville. And if you don't know that, and you dare take one step toward the "worker's" break room, you can expect the wrath of God to come down on your head. Myself and some other coaches made that mistake once. Never again. Really, do you have to treat people that way?

So it's not just the seating. It's everything. It's wrestlers running through the concession stands to warm up. It's shoes in the back of your neck. It's the scowls of the purple-shirted Nazis.

Such great wrestling simply deserves a better venue.

You all have my prayers.

The same way Logan, Delphi, Seeger and the other schools down in that area feel driving 2 hours up to M-ville every year

yep we went from driving 2 1/2 hours from frankfort to merrillville to now 2 1/2 hours to New Castle.....so i feel no sympathy for the region to drive 1 1/2 hrs to lafayette...oh, but that would put us back in that semi-state also......Lafayette has my vote then!!!! im for anywhere that will run the Finals like Merrillville does, if you cant then Its a must to leave it there....."only stipulation i have"....the twin lakes sectional finals is better than the New Castle Semi-state finals in glorifying it......but have seen nothing that compares to merrillville until state....just my opinion

White Angel,

The seating at Merrillville is a problem, of course. When they pull the bleachers out, it is more comfortable, yes. But that doesn't happen until the afternoon, when a lot of people have departed because their kids lost in the morning rounds. And that's not to mention the people who don't come at all, because they just don't want to deal with knees in their backsides and elbows in their face.

A much bigger problem, though, is simply the attitude of the Merrillville staff. Several staffers at Merrillville -- I did not say all of them, but several of them -- seem to forget that their gymnasium is full of paying CUSTOMERS, not prisoners-of-war.  This is an event for which fans pay good money; they deserve better than to be screamed at and herded like sheep. I do not condemn everybody there, some of the folks are truly courteous and friendly. But some of them are not, and I don't have to name names, because most people know whom I am talking about.

A sport which is desperately seeking good publicity is held in a venue where the staffers go out of their way to be antagonistic to the media. Talk to any reporter. No results, some years no place to sit, it becomes almost impossible for them to do their job. In fact, I know a couple who have specifically quit covering the event because it's such a pain.

amen

And the lack of a hospitality room? Give us a break. The other semistates/regionals/sectionals all seem to somehow find a room for the coaches to go and visit and grab a Pepsi. But not Merrillville. And if you don't know that, and you dare take one step toward the "worker's" break room, you can expect the wrath of God to come down on your head. Myself and some other coaches made that mistake once. Never again. Really, do you have to treat people that way?

So it's not just the seating. It's everything. It's wrestlers running through the concession stands to warm up. It's shoes in the back of your neck. It's the scowls of the purple-shirted Nazis.

Such great wrestling simply deserves a better venue.

You all have my prayers.

i like the crowded atmosphere of merrillville personally. i don't like how you have to warm up in front of everybody. and the way the staff treats people is like they think your an animal or sumthin.

My boy was there 3 years ago, and he was able to warm up in a seperate room with mats.

The wrestlers don't have to warm up in front of everybody.  They have a seperate gym where they go to warm up. 

It's up to the wrestlers to warm up where they want of  course.....and of course right before they close to their match.

I think it's fine...I still go there to watch great wrestling and I live an hour away.  It's how comfortable you want to make it.  It does nothing to complain about it on here.  It's what you make of it....

Year in and year out around this time, the Merrilville Semi-State Venue gets bashed.  So I will give my thoughts on some of the things mentioned.

1. Seating. Really can't say much about this during the first two rounds.  I have observed over the years though that, once the wrestling goes down to two mats, it becomes more comfortable.  I guess we can all sepculate as to why more fans don't stick around.  Maybe, they leave because there kid is done and they have a long drive ahead of them.  Some may even have to endure a time change as they travel home.

2. Rude Staff.  What if asked everyone here how would you feel if you worked your tail off to pull off a major event such as a wresting Semi-State, table help, scoreboards, mat set-up, etc.  only to hear yourself called a "nazi" or seeing pictures poking fun at you.  I think you may have a chip on your shoulder over the years as well. That would never happen here though because this site does not condone personal attacks.

3. Coolers.   Contrary to popular belief, coolers were once allowed at Merrillville.  Unfortunately people do not know how to clean up after themselves so cometimes rules have to be put into place to rectify a situation.

4. Warm Up Area. I believe somone already mentioned there is a designated area were wrestlers could warm up a bit before they wrestle.  Not sure exactly how much area is needed right before the match though.  Everyone is different, I guess I am a little bias here since I was a lighter weight, I was feeling pretty warm after they cleared the mats.

5. Concessions. I do belive that the gate goes to the IHSAA who actually is the one who sets the price.  Concessions is obviously where they are going to make there money.  Prices may seem high, but I don't see anybody complaining about the following week down in Indy when they are making Merrillville look like a deal.

I am not saying that Merrilville is the perfect venue for the Semi-State.  I do believe there are some other gyms in the area that could accomodate the needs of the Semi-State.  Now whether or not the hosting staff could pull it off is another story.  I am not saying that they could not, but we have to admit that the tournament does run smoothly under it's current staff. Has any coaches ever tried to have their ADs maybe contact Merrillville's AD and make some friendly suggestions as to what can be done to accommodate some of the needs mentioned above instead of coming on here and using this as their forum?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.