Merrillville semistate prayer

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

From the Book of Merrillville, chapter 1

Bobby Cox is my leader; I shall not whine.

He maketh me to sit in overcrowded gymnasiums:

He leadeth me to overpriced concessions.

He taketh my coin:

He leadeth me into a Merrillville hell for the IHSAA?s sake.

Yea, though I walk past the purple-shirted Nazis who steal my cooler,

I will enjoy no hospitality: For that room is off-limits;

Thy AD and security people, they scream at me.

Thou preparest a table for the media, then refuse to let them sit;

Thine wrestlers warm up in the hallways with a thousand fans; there is nowhere else to go.

Surely someone will hear my screams as I am pushed down inside the bleachers

Otherwise I may dwell in the Home of the Pirates forever.  Amen.

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

He taketh my coin:

Thine wrestlers warm up in the hallways with a thousand fans; there is nowhere else to go.

But we need more wrestle-backs with that to be 'fair'

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

He taketh my coin:

TRUE, TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!

But we need more wrestle-backs with that to be 'fair'

We need to go back to 12-man brackets with wrestlebacks from the quarters.  Less time would be needed and the 2-time regional losers would not get an undeserved seat at the table.  Cash, cash, cash.  That's the name of the game.

I dont know im fine with it at Merriville I mean it is crowded because we have a strong wrestling community up north it will be packed anywhere and as for wrestle backs that may be a thing to come in the future but i really think it makes alot of other wrestlers wrestle that much harder it plays a similiar role as into our state meet our Friday night matches those are some of the best matches because there are kids who are giving it their all and end up beating some really good kids always happens and semi state at merriville wont change venues anytime soon

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

He taketh my coin:

omg DIS hits da nail right on da head !!

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

He taketh my coin:

He leadeth me into a Merrillville hell for the IHSAAs sake.

Sacrafice one week and you will be rewarded with waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy lower prices the following week.

Neither Penn nor Plymouth's gyms are large enough to host semi-state. Then again, neither is Merrillville's!  zzzing.  Perhaps Plymouth or Penn or SB Clay could host the semi-state at Notre Dame.  But ND doesn't really have high school athletic events like they used to.  It's gotta be a bigger place like Notre Dame or Mackey Arena at Purdue.

Talking with a Penn parents recently.  They told me the school is considering constructing a wrestling facility on the Penn campus, near the school, but not physically attached to the school.  The reason is because Coach Harper has over 100 wrestlers per year the last few years and they expect that to grow with about 150 wrestlers at Penn's three middle schools right now.  Is this true?  I am not sure what is more incredible, the amount of wrestlers or actually having a high school team with its own facility.

The 68th (Ave.) Psalm

He taketh my coin:

Someone deserves some extra cool points. Best post I've seen in a while.

Neither Penn nor Plymouth's gyms are large enough to host semi-state. Then again, neither is Merrillville's!  zzzing.  Perhaps Plymouth or Penn or SB Clay could host the semi-state at Notre Dame.  But ND doesn't really have high school athletic events like they used to.  It's gotta be a bigger place like Notre Dame or Mackey Arena at Purdue.

Talking with a Penn parents recently.  They told me the school is considering constructing a wrestling facility on the Penn campus, near the school, but not physically attached to the school.  The reason is because Coach Harper has over 100 wrestlers per year the last few years and they expect that to grow with about 150 wrestlers at Penn's three middle schools right now.  Is this true?  I am not sure what is more incredible, the amount of wrestlers or actually having a high school team with its own facility.

I haven't heard anything about Penn wanting to build a separate facility, but it would be a good move, but probably pretty pricey as well. Also, moving the venue from M'ville to Notre Dame (might be a bit of a stretch for the teams farther South) or it's equivalent (Mackey Arena) would be awesome. I can't stand walking in to M'ville a few minutes late and not being able to find a seat. They really need to consider moving it, and actually put some serious thought into it instead of just talking about it and not going through with any of it, but like IRONMAIDEN said, the AD is on the IHSAA board, so this semistate probably won't move for a while..

Hammond civic center..A.R.C. Valpo U..Purdue..There are places..Ecc(they have one  of the biggest gyms in the State)...isn't there domes and field houses popping up all over Crown Point..I'm so sick of the band box at Merrillville meanwhile the other semi-states are in places where fans and wrestlers can both be comfortable...great post.

Has anyone (coach or school admin) made a genuine proposal to have it moved to their school or another venue? I think that should be the question asked. I know it is big commitment and a lot of responsibility for a team or coach to take.

Lafayette seems like the logical thing to do as it is more centrally located in the northwestern part of the state.  It would probably draw more wrestling fans that don't have any wrestlers in this fight as it is about the same distance from the Region and Indianapolis.  The same goes for Evansville as well.  It is a 3 hour drive from Indy as well.  Just my opinion and mean no disrespect to either venue.

Lafayette may be the logical choice to some.  However, how do you feel that Mishawaka and the other South Bend schools will feel when they have to drive 2 hours and 35 minutes from school to lets say Mackey Arena?  Based on Map Quest. 

Lafayette may be the logical choice to some.  However, how do you feel that Mishawaka and the other South Bend schools will feel when they have to drive 2 hours and 35 minutes from school to lets say Mackey Arena?  Based on Map Quest. 

Probably the same way that Central Indiana schools have to drive 3 hours to Evansville.  I wasn't trying to start an argument here just using some logic.  It seems like the Evansville Semi State would be more logical in the Bloomington area.  I personally don't have any problem driving to the Region or Evansville just looking at logistics and putting more money into the IHSAA's pocket.  Seems like that is what they want.

Probably the same way that Central Indiana schools have to drive 3 hours to Evansville.  I wasn't trying to start an argument here just using some logic.  It seems like the Evansville Semi State would be more logical in the Bloomington area.  I personally don't have any problem driving to the Region or Evansville just looking at logistics and putting more money into the IHSAA's pocket.  Seems like that is what they want.

I don't want an argument either.  Just was asking how you think it would go with the South Bend schools.  Personally, I do not care if it moves or stays.  I think that Merrillville is electric and overfilled, but believe that it would be the same with any venue they decide to change it to. 

I don't want an argument either.  Just was asking how you think it would go with the South Bend schools.  Personally, I do not care if it moves or stays.  I think that Merrillville is electric and overfilled, but believe that it would be the same with any venue they decide to change it to. 

Gave you a wahoo for that one.  I was just thinking that they could put a lot more butt's in the seats at a larger venue being a little closer to Indy.  In the past there hasn't been a problem getting a good seat at Robert's Stadium in Evansville.  I think that they could get more butt's in the seats if Evansville moved to Bloomington.  I know that I am probably making a lot of Evansville people mad but like I said, I am just looking at it as a logistical standpoint for wrestling as a whole/fan.

The same way Logan, Delphi, Seeger and the other schools down in that area feel driving 2 hours up to M-ville every year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.