Messed Up Sectional

What should happen?

Sectional team scores: 2nd place had only .5 of a point ahead of the 3rd place team. 1 week later, it is noticed that the 120 pounder from 4th place team weighed in under 106. therefore was ineligible to wrestle 120 because you can't bump up 2 weight classes. That wrestler got 4th in his weight class and more than .5 team points. This was only noticed after Regionals however. The 4th place team was completely aware of this and wrestled him anyways but wasn't stopped because no other coaches had weigh in sheets.

(Weight Classes, Points, and Placing were only Examples).

Should they go back and change? Or what?

since it was for 2nd or 3rd place i don't think the end result really matters alot.....so i doubt anything would be done.....and even it was for 1st place, what could they really do now since team regionals and individual regionals are over?.....but if a coach knowingly did this, then he should be repremanded....if the wrestler is still in the tournament, he should probably be disqaulified if he is wrestling a class he can't technically be in......

You cannot go back and change it. That's like a call in any other sport; if the other coaches didn't notice it, then it's on them as well for not paying attention. If a team has 12 defensive men on the football field and no one notices, the offensive team cannot complain after the game.

I don't know how  you are aware the team committed this infraction on purpose, but if it is on purpose, they should have their entire sectional stricken-team score wise-and place last.

The fact that they knowlingly did this is strictly he said she said between coaches and atheletes. So that part is still unknown for sure. However that wrestler was unable to wrestle in Regionals because they did notice there. Just curious mainly on the Team Placing part. Should the schools AD go back and change the scores? Like subtract all points given to that team by the technically ineligible wrestler?

In a situation like this i wonder if the coach even knew.  At sectionals I send my kids to the weigh in room and they weigh in.  I only ask the ones that were close to being over what they weighed in.

You are right. He could not have even known. Although he must have known he was atleast super small for the weight class. From what I have HEARD and been TOLD, he knew and just ignored it because he wasn't caught. again, just he said she said.

What should happen?

Sectional team scores: 2nd place had only .5 of a point ahead of the 3rd place team. 1 week later, it is noticed that the 120 pounder from 4th place team weighed in under 106. therefore was ineligible to wrestle 120 because you can't bump up 2 weight classes. That wrestler got 4th in his weight class and more than .5 team points. This was only noticed after Regionals however. The 4th place team was completely aware of this and wrestled him anyways but wasn't stopped because no other coaches had weigh in sheets.

(Weight Classes, Points, and Placing were only Examples).

Should they go back and change? Or what?

The irony would be that if this was the Official who jumped up and down on the scale  (possibly ruining the other young man's weigh-in who told his story here) was the

one who successfully weighed in this kid  at 105.99 lbs  :-[ 

2. Maybe an Official can help me out, but I do believe an Offical should have been the one to not permit the wretler to even weigh in for 120 weighing what he did.

Well, he certainly can WEIGH IN for 120 , but yes, the official should have caught that he was not eligible to WRESTLE 120.  Had exact situation occur on my scale at sectional and said wrestler was NOT allowed to compete.

I doubt the official would have or could have caught this.  He probably called for the 113lb. class, and the kid stepped on the scale making actually the 106(108lb) class.  The official would have no way of knowing the weight class of each participant in an 11 team sectional!

This was probably just an oversight by the head coach. 

I don't THINK it was much as an 'oversight' from the coach as much as just ignoring it. Its kinda come out now that at regionals when the kid was caught and told not eligible, their coach told another coach that 'he got away with it last week and the week before that'. He said she said stuff so it could be just 'rumor'.

At a regular dual meet, or a multi dual where you weigh in by team, I could see where this might slip by if the coach opts to bump guys around and the opposing coach doesn't notice.  However at Sectional, or any individual tournament where you weigh in by weight class, it can and should be caught by the official at the scale.

Absolutely the scores can and should be changed.  If an ineligible wrestler is wrestled in a dual meet, for whatever reason, the guilty school has to forfeit that weight and the dual meet score is changed.  So in this case any team points that wrestler scored should now become "0".  It is much different than having 12 men on the field.  If by chance a football team uses an ineligible player and that is found out later, the game becomes a Forfeit.  There are several cases where this has happened to football teams.  Even if its just one play on special teams!!!  This situation is the same, an ineligible wrestler was used. 

I would say the IHSAA should be contacted and they will make the decision.  Most likely the school that violated the rule and used ineligible wrestler will recieve some type of penalty... most likely a warning from the IHSAA comish. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.