Indiana's best coach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah Harper is a good coach as well i think what makes a good coach is when he takes his own time and spends time with the youth programs and having your high school wrestlers put in some time also with the middle school wrestlers and youth program also it really makes a difference because growing up kids always look up to the older wrestlers who are wrestling in high school it really means alot to the kids and their parents and both of these coachs do do that

I will be a homer on this one. Brent Faurote with 24 years at the helm at Bellmont. He instills character in his kids! I heard the principle praising the fact that there was a kid in the wrestling room who stayed in school because of Coach Faurote. He was the first in his family to get a diploma. On the radio after sectionals he stated he was heading back to Bellmont to be at a youth wrestling event! He and his whole staff are a class act. If I lived in the district I would be pleased to see my boy wrestle for this crew!! Well done!

Mark Kerrn does a great job at Jimtown!

Otehr than the aforementioned, here are some others who have their programs rolling:

1. Lance Ellis, Roncalli

2. Scott Ferguson, Reitz

3. Bob Harmon, Castle

4. David Maldonado, Merrillville

5. Bob Hasseman, Franklin

6. Royce Deckard, Bloomington South

7. Sean McGinley, Cathedral

I will be a homer on this one. Brent Faurote with 24 years at the helm at Bellmont. He instills character in his kids! I heard the principle praising the fact that there was a kid in the wrestling room who stayed in school because of Coach Faurote. He was the first in his family to get a diploma. On the radio after sectionals he stated he was heading back to Bellmont to be at a youth wrestling event! He and his whole staff are a class act. If I lived in the district I would be pleased to see my boy wrestle for this crew!! Well done!

bellmont always has a very good team i have heard

Ill nominate ed pendoski. He may not have won any state titles while coaching at portage high school but he definitely knows how to shape youth wrestlers into champions

i agree with this, most of the contenders down in indy train with him

At HSE it is not just one but the Team of Coaches.

Head Coach:  Gastineau  has brought in guys that can really coach.

Lead by Jordan Humphrey.  Kind of fun to watch a bunch of Alpha Male's  work it all out.

not saying hes the best but stateing that vlink of crown point was inducted into the hall of fame this year

I can see this one since he tried to bump his 2x state champ up to wrestle 160 last year and cost his Roach his last high school match  ::)

I will throw one out there what about Don Patton from Delta 5 state championships a runner-up and a ton of individual champions.  I will also say one thing about Coach Vlink and you can't hold one decision last year against him, even before this run of 5 straight state finals appearances he built Crown Point into one of the toughest wrestling schools in one of the toughest wrestling regions in the state.  So, to take him off that list would be in my opinion be very wrong.

There are a number of criteria that can be considered in recognizing good coaches who coach (or have coached) in our state.  "Championships won" is certainly one litmus test that can be applied.  I had the opportunity to wrestle for Coach Patton at Delta.  He was always a very caring and genuine person in addition to being a championship caliber coach.  If we are looking past championships, there are a number of other coaches who deserve recognition as they certainly carved their name into Indiana wrestling history.

Ron Anderson (Winchester)    -    Influenced many young men over his decades long coaching career.  In a "classed" system he had teams that would have definitely won state championships.  Coach Anderson was extremely giving of his time and wisdom to many other coaches.

John Smith (Muncie South)    -    Lead Muncie South to a state title in 1990.  He, himself, was a two time state champion, and one of the most technically sound coaches in Indiana wrestling history. IMO

Bill Robertson (Wes-Del)          -    Approximately 12-15 years ago, Wes-Del HS would also have won a couple of "classed" team state championships.  Coach Robertson put together some rock solid teams from light to heavyweight at his small school.  He still helps out with Wes-Del's program today.

Kelly Cronk (Shenandoah)      -    Again, 12-15 years ago, Shenandoah was a force to be reckoned with.  For a very small school, there were years they didn't have a hole in their line-up.  Coach Cronk was very good about mentoring young coaches who were trying to learn the profession.  Many of his teams were not recognized as they fell in the shadow of New Castle's strong program in its hay-day.

Rex Peckinpaugh (New Castle) -    Indiana's winningest dual meet coach.

There are certainly many others out there.  These are just some who came to mind as I read through this thread.

Mark Kerrn does a great job at Jimtown!

Otehr than the aforementioned, here are some others who have their programs rolling:

1. Lance Ellis, Roncalli

2. Scott Ferguson, Reitz

3. Bob Harmon, Castle

4. David Maldonado, Merrillville

5. Bob Hasseman, Franklin

6. Royce Deckard, Bloomington South

7. Sean McGinley, Cathedral

Of Course who did Mark Kerrn wrestle for???  Al Smith  Mishawaka

Maybe this discussion should be broken into pre 1995 and post 1995 coaches.    Way too many coaches from my era that could be mentioned...Along with Al Smith how about Henry Wilk?   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.