Big Ticket Round Matches

aoberlin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  The point was that WildCatCountry97 was saying that his opinion of a 'BIG' ticket round match was one that included two returning SQ's or top ten ranked kids.  And while I do not agree that kids who win with a weak schedule are clowns I do agree that they may not worthy be of being a 'BIG' ticket round match unless they have some big matches to back it up and looking at the schools he wrestled, Lovejoy does not seem have those matches.  That was why I grabbed that match as an example (it was the first one that I noticed when going back up the forum.)

And you said it and I agree that the southside kid is not in the same category as the top five ranked kids in the State like Frane and Phillips.  I am sure that neither of them would have to avenge anything coming out of the New Haven sectional.  I do not think that Lovejoy saw anyone close to a ranked wrestler all season.

I was not dissing Lovejoy at all, he MAY BE worthy of being a 'BIG' name in the ticket round later in his career, but this post was about big matches this year, THIS Saturday! 

And as I mentioned there is a big bad Bellmont senior standing in Lovejoy's way of even seeing Frane.  Lovejoy may not even make it to the ticket round.  I would think that a weaker record from a Bellmont senior (although it is hard to call a 25-16 record weak given their schedule) would be a bigger match than against a good record from a freshman from Bishop Luers.

Frane has seen and beaten much better wrestlers already this year.  I would be surprised if it was a close match.  If anyone is going to beat him in that half of the bracket you would have to think that it will be Phillips, but they are ranked #3 and #4 in the State for a reason.  THAT will be a battle.  Who ever comes in best prepared will win that in a close one.

As for the older Lovejoy, I believe you are correct that he finished top five in there somewhere, but I remember seeing him representing the Bishop Luers club nearly every weekend in the off season when I was at Fort Wayne area tournaments with my boys.  Actually I do not recall seeing any Bishop Luers wrestlers at any off season tournaments since the older kid graduated.

I have an old ISWA book from 2007 that lists the older boy as a State Champ in Freestyle and placing in folk and Greco.  I looked on line at the ISWA, track wrestling, and  Boarder Wars and do not see anything on the younger Lovejoy at all in the last two years.  It does not look like he has wrestled at all in the off season, at least not at the State level. 

And if I remember the older boy also wrestled for the schoolboy national dual team when he was in 8th grade and continued to wrestle State and Nationally through his career. I am sure that more than made up for the weak in season schedule.

But the point comes back to what are we using for criteria for a 'BIG' ticket match?  I still agree with WildCat's assessment but maybe there is room for a few that had big wins that can back up their record.

I'm pretty sure you didn't have to look in an ISWA book to remember those results, Kevin L...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.