#3 Robinson defeats #1 Kral at 220

lpd096

Kral tried to throw Robinson twice in the 1st period and each time Robinson countered him to his back.  What I can't understand is why Kral keep doing this later on in the match, which he gave up another 2 takedowns from this move.  Robinson also controlled him from the top position.

I thought Gelen looked better throughout the match.  It IS hard to beat someone three times in a season, but Gelen dominated from start to finish.  I predict a new game plan for Kral going into Semi-State.

I also thought Nickson did well against Kral losing in OT by a stalling point.  This weight class will be one to watch at Merr SS!

Wow great matchup where both wrestlers went at each other.  Robinson was stronger and won all the key scrambles.  Kral did not have to wrestle this match, Crown Point was up against Lake Central big when this match happened and Crown Point could have easily forfeited this match.  Glad they did not because it was a great match.  

1st Period: Kral was in deep on a single and picked him up and slammed him to the mat, he almost had the takedown but Robinson did a great job of not giving up the takedown.  Kral got in a body lock and tried to trip and whip Robinson over but Robinson was too strong and got the two and almost backpoints Kral escaped pretty easily.  20 seconds later Kral had a body lock again and tried a trip or whipover but Robinson was way too strong and won the battle to get another takedown and then Kral escaped (this was weird call I think they gave 2 backpoints to Robinson and 1 escape  for Kral, I am not sure a takedown was awarded? Somebody else could fill in as there was a long discussion). 4-2 end of one  

2nd Period:  Kral went down and got the escape 4-3.  Kral did the exact same move midway through the period and tried to trip and Robinson countered and got the takedown and almost backpoints again.  He rode out for 6-3 lead.

3rd Period: Robinson in this period was down and Kral had a locked hands call on top.  Then the escape.  It was 8-3 now.  Kral was in on a deep single again but was too tired and Robinson spun behind for the takedown and rideout. 10-3

My thoughts Robinson did not attempt one shot, but he was still very aggressive and was tough on top.  Kral was also really aggressive and it hurt him.  I could see a new game plan next time.  Robinson was so strong and confident when he was in the body lock. Great match and I am sure this gave Robinson a lot of confidence.  He could be the 220 state champ this year and HWT champ the next two years.  Could be as good if not better than Dexter Larimore.  I would not count out Kral on a rematch.  Robinson is huge and really good.

This is how i remember the match going.  I did not care who won, did not have a preference.  

Another thing I noticed is that Tsirtsis had his hand wrapped did not seem to slow him down.  

Robinson showed great hips and was dominant from double overs. Just a flat out great athlete. 

After seeing how good he is from upper body ties I think for anyone to stand a chance against him they will have to really work a good game plan. He is too dangerous to just throw a kid out there and say go get'em.

I thought Gelen looked better throughout the match.  It IS hard to beat someone three times in a season, but Gelen dominated from start to finish.  I predict a new game plan for Kral going into Semi-State.

I also thought Nickson did well against Kral losing in OT by a stalling point.  This weight class will be one to watch at Merr SS!

Robinson or Nickson could draw Kral for a ticket to Bankers.

I didnt like the stalling call in the Kral v. Nickson match. Kral maybe took 2 shots the whole match and Nicksons shot attempts had to be in the double digits. They called Nickson for stalling for backing up but  Krals only offense was to try and push him out of bounds,  even when Nickson tried to circle Kral tried to push him out.

I didnt like the stalling call in the Kral v. Nickson match. Kral maybe took 2 shots the whole match and Nicksons shot attempts had to be in the double digits. They called Nickson for stalling for backing up but  Krals only offense was to try and push him out of bounds,  even when Nickson tried to circle Kral tried to push him out.

I have not seen that in s very long time, where a guy tries to circle and the other wrestler cuts the angle to still push the guy out of bounds. That has to be a form of stalling. No moves were being worked. Unless the rules clearly state, that pushing a guy out of bounds regardless of not allowing the guy to circle. Is a form  of offense . Hopefully next time the match is decided by a take-down

I bet Knura will dominate 220 anyway

Robinson looked pretty awesome against Kral and he looked like he gained a lot of confidence, especially in his ability to throw - he is going to be very dangerous throughout the tourney. I don't know if Robinson's coaches (or the Region Wrestling Academy) put that double over-hook offense in as a game plan to beat Kral or if it was just Robinson's reaction to Kral pushing the double unders, but man was it effective - The kid looked good

Haven't seen Knura wrestle since he was a sophomore, but he would have to have improved a bunch to beat Robinson...that is if Robinson continues to wrestle like he did Wednesday night.

With Kral, Nickson, Robinson, Gallegos and Reagan all at 220!!! It's gonna be a barn burner at Merrillville next Saturday :D

No kidding. Outside of losses to each other all 4 are undefeated.

The logansport regional has 1 undefeated and 1 kid with only 2 losses. Makes for a complete meat grinder of a SS

Keith Knura should not be overlooked he is as good a wrestler as Robinson, Kral and the rest of the strong 220lbs, but his conditioning at Connersville was suspect and that is the only weakness I have seen with him, but if he is ready to go for 6 minutes he is my favorite at this weight!! JMO 8)

Keith Knura should not be overlooked he is as good a wrestler as Robinson, Kral and the rest of the strong 220lbs, but his conditioning at Connersville was suspect and that is the only weakness I have seen with him, but if he is ready to go for 6 minutes he is my favorite at this weight!! JMO 8)

I definitely wouldnt count someone like Knura out however to say that he is going to dominate 220 ??? Ehh I dont know about that one. Previously posted before Top 5 at M'ville semi state have been wrestling each other all year, these guys have been seeing legit competition. I think Kral and Robinson are just too good to be dominated.

It will be interesting to see how he matches up against any of the 4 coming out of the Merrillville SS, chances are he will get to see 1 or more of them.

Knura had a great run in 2010 State Tourney, almost taking Lentz to OT, but he still had 10 other losses that year, and as the previous poster pointed out, he hasn't been facing the competition that others have this year or last. Not saying he doesn't have a chance, but I suspect he would have to have improved quite a bit from 2010 to hang with the rest.

I definitely wouldnt count someone like Knura out however to say that he is going to dominate 220 ??? Ehh I dont know about that one. Previously posted before Top 5 at M'ville semi state have been wrestling each other all year, these guys have been seeing legit competition. I think Kral and Robinson are just too good to be dominated.

MOGILLIS,

You must have made a mistake grabbing my quote with your statement as I never said anywhere above "Knura would dominate", please read my quote below again. Also understand Trey Reese last years undefeated state champ @215lbs wrestled the same schedule Knura has wrestled this year, and my statement is simply Knura is of the same caliber of Robinson and Kral and my only concern with these match ups is with Knura's conditioning. The last time Knura had a chance to wrestle Kral was at last years Tricoff, but Kral's coach chose to avoid that match up...Good Luck to all these 220lbs!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.