Does anyone really wonder why we don't have team state?

Y2CJ41

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how the IHSWCA Classed Team State plays out.

The problem is it is not really a Team State Tournament because all teams in Indiana are not included.

IHSAA Team State Tournaments include all IHSAA member schools.

The IHSAA tournament doesn't care about power numbers or returning placers, every member school is included in the tournament.

I think it has a chance to be another really good super dual tournament, but not a State Champion tournament.

Will the IHSWCA give out Team Trophies and rings to the Champion and Runner-up?

Will he Media recognize the Champions as State Champions?

Will the schools have fire truck rides and a big homecoming ceremony?

To me its just not the same as an IHSAA sanctioned event.

Yes, it will stroke some egos to say you are state champions, but did you rally advance through a true team tournament?

When you think of State Champion or State Runner-up, you think of Blue Ring or Red ring - IHSAA

You don't think of IHSWCA, when you think of State Champion.

Like I've said before, we let it go last year without even putting up a fight.

As the head coach of Culver Academies I want to state that we were extremely excited and proud to be at the team Regionals.  I had not read this post until today and felt obligated to comment on this.  We have been building our program for the past five years and have finally achieved our goal of winning the Sectional championship.  The last time our school had won a sectional championship in wrestling was 14 years ago.  Our team, coaches , administration and school were extremely excited about winning the Sectional championship and moving on to the Team Regional.  We have tripled the size of our wrestling team but we still don't have the depth in all of our weight classes like a Penn or Mishawaka.  In the Team Regional this past week we brought everyone that could wrestle.  Our team was faced with multiple skin issues that popped up, one weight issue and two serious injuries.  I will not put a wrestler on the mat with a contagious skin disease and affect another wrestler's chance in the individual state tournament.  All coaches understand the challenges a coach faces trying to keep the entire lineup on the mat at all times.  We may not have been as competitive as we would have liked last Wednesday, but our team wrestled hard and truly enjoyed the experience.  We would have loved the opportunity to represent ourselves with the full lineup but the forfeits were out of our hands. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.