Does anyone really wonder why we don't have team state?

Y2CJ41

Seriously people, do we really wonder why the IHSAA has decided to do away with the tournament.  We had at least two teams this year bring less than full squads to team regional and do we really expect to get Team State back anytime soon?  All you coaches say you want Team State, yet pull this kind of crap?  Not only will we  never get Team State back, but don't expect any favors for anything else we want.  I am literally shaking my head trying to figure out how we as coaches can continually shoot ourselves in the foot over and over and over and over again!

On top of that, we have an extremely high rankings IHSWCA member and highly respected coach bring six....yes SIX kids to regional.  I am speechless(for once) and just with as coaches we would get our collective heads out of our butts for one time....unfortunately I am not seeing this happening any time soon.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously people, do we really wonder why the IHSAA has decided to do away with the tournament.  We had at least two teams this year bring less than full squads to team regional and do we really expect to get Team State back anytime soon?  All you coaches say you want Team State, yet pull this kind of crap?  Not only will we  never get Team State back, but don't expect any favors for anything else we want.  I am literally shaking my head trying to figure out how we as coaches can continually shoot ourselves in the foot over and over and over and over again!

On top of that, we have an extremely high rankings IHSWCA member and highly respected coach bring six....yes SIX kids to regional.  I am speechless(for once) and just with as coaches we would get our collective heads out of our butts for one time....unfortunately I am not seeing this happening any time soon.

I can see where you're coming from.  I just figured, like everything else, it was about the money.

I can see where you're coming from.   I just figured, like everything else, it was about the money.

Put yourself in the IHSAA's shoes and it makes sense.  Coaches make a mockery of the team state portion, last year a team threatened not to go to regional, this year two teams bring a bunch of forfeits.  When coaches make a mockery of the state tournament it more than ruffles a few feathers.  The state tournament is the IHSAA's pride and joy and we have coaches that think it is a joke.  The IHSAA is right in what they did and we as coaches 100% deserve the treatment.  

Put yourself in the IHSAA's shoes and it makes sense.  Coaches make a mockery of the team state portion, last year a team threatened not to go to regional, this year two teams bring a bunch of forfeits.  When coaches make a mockery of the state tournament it more than ruffles a few feathers.  The state tournament is the IHSAA's pride and joy and we have coaches that think it is a joke.  The IHSAA is right in what they did and we as coaches 100% deserve the treatment.  

I completely agree Y2.   If coaches have no problem making a mockery if it, then it needs to be taken away.

My thought on the New Castle situation (assuming it was the coach's decision)  is who should be more pissed off?

The kids that were told not to wrestle or the kids that did compete to the best of their abilities knowing the coach had already thrown in the towel before the first match even started.  

As a coach, I do not get it at all. Your are competing in the IHSAA Tournament with a chance to take your team to State.......and make everyone in that school, including the administration, teachers, and students, finally realize wrestling is a sport. And an awesome one at that. These decisions to not wrestle your athletes or even try to get your team out of the tourney before you even have the match, are beyond my comprehension.

I am trying to think of some of the excuses for this:

"I don't want my athletes to get hurt before the Individual Tournament is completed"

"I don't think we should travel because it's a waste of time, we are going to lose to our opponent"

"I don't want other coaches getting another chance to scout my individuals for the tourney"

We are a small sport and need to keep all of the excitement in it alive.

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to risk injuries, and I'm not even a big proponent of the team state tournament (Indiana wrestling survived for 70 years without it) but this is a pretty weak move unless there's some legitimate excuse we don't know about.  My team made it to team regionals/semi-state my sophomore and senior year, and we didn't have a shot in hell of making it out either year.  But my coach would never have sat out our better wrestlers, and I thought being able to participate was a cool experience.  Even if you don't have a chance to win, you still need to put your best team out on the mat.  Would you forfeit a regular season dual against one of your conference opponents if you thought you didn't have a chance to win?  I doubt it.  To me, a move like this doesn't show a lot of pride in your program.

I understand the reasoning of not wanting to risk injuries, and I'm not even a big proponent of the team state tournament (Indiana wrestling survived for 70 years without it) but this is a pretty weak move unless there's some legitimate excuse we don't know about.  My team made it to team regionals/semi-state my sophomore and senior year, and we didn't have a shot in hell of making it out either year.  But my coach would never have sat out our better wrestlers, and I thought being able to participate was a cool experience.  Even if you don't have a chance to win, you still need to put your best team out on the mat.  Would you forfeit a regular season dual against one of your conference opponents if you thought you didn't have a chance to win?  I doubt it.  To me, a move like this doesn't show a lot of pride in your program.

I don't understand the idea of not wanting to get a wrestler injured.  That's why we train these young men: to compete.  Not to take a dive which is the cowardly lesson that these coaches are teaching the young men when they send their JV or only a few kids.  Got no respect for any coach that pulls this crap.  A lot of courageous young men laid it on the line last night even though they have to wrestle Saturday.  In fact a couple of top ranked wrestlers took a loss and I dare say they aren't sitting around boo hooing today.  A real classless act by a few tarnish us all.

There is no legitimate reason for this.  It's disgraceful to the sport.

What is disgraceful, is that this was the next post after someone stated that a wrestler is going to be at Riley Hospital today to be with his little brother who is having heart surgery.. Some things are more important than attending a dual meet . Especially, when the format's fate has already been decided. How good was it, anyway...when it was possible for the best team not to even be allowed to compete in it (i.e. one team with a few studs, winning the sectional over a more balanced squad).

What is disgraceful, is that this was the next post after someone stated that a wrestler is going to be at Riley Hospital today to be with his little brother who is having heart surgery.. Some things are more important than attending a dual meet .

How about the other 7 starters?

The only thing I really want to say about this is that New Castle placed every wrestler that was eligible to compete, and met our school's attendance requirements, on the mat except for one who had an injury.  All six wrestlers were in our Sectional line-up, which included only eleven kids, so they were not JV kids.  What you, or anyone else on here thinks about me, does not matter.  The truth is the IHSAA declared last spring, when they voted to end the Dual tournament, that the Tournament was meaningless so why encourage kids that are sick to come to school and wrestle when they can be getting well and maybe have some success in the tournament that counts.  For various reasons we have had trouble fielding a full line-up all year.  Most of the year (especially since grades came out) we have forfeited 4-5 weight classes each time out so the stretch from nine or ten weight classes full to six is not a long one.

Agree with Y2 on this one.  Next year will be a much better atmosphere though.  Since it is held in the middle of the season and teams get to decide if they want to participate it is going to make for some great wrestling.  No team will have any reason to forfeit wieghts or not wrestle to the best of their abilities.  Expect big crowds and a lot of fireworks at the first ever classed team tourney.  FYI- Coach Peck did not want to have a classed team tourney because he thought not enough schools would get to participate.  Well last night he had his chance to participate and I think he showed his true colors.  I am excited to watch the 1 and 2a team duals, because we are going to see teams that actually want to win.  Teams that are hungry for a title instead of cowardly coaches that quit before they start.  Coach Peck we will call your performance last night the Holiday Classic and the rest of the state will take a classed championship.

Terry Tipton

I respect the Campbell family for being with their son and I understand if boys are sick and out of school or ineligible because of grades.  It is just sad to see only six weight classes being filled. 

I was really upset last year when East Central brought their JV team to wrestle against Roncalli at the Shelbyville Team Regional.  Very disrespectful to the other teams in the Franklin County Sectional, to Roncalli, and to their own school. 

What a joke for so-called leaders in our state to do this!!!!!  

Anyone else notice that Kayla Miracle didn't wrestle at team regionals?  And the other Culver Military selective forfeits?  We are a laughing stock to the IHSAA and rightfully so.  

I think your coach Peck may have made the truest statement of all. Your Team State tournament is meaningless. It consist of a few private schools vs a few public schools who will do anything including "bend the rules"  to get down to the final 8. Pretty meaningless. Your state organization did the best thing. Scrapped it ! It is were it should be a mid season challenge between some elite teams who have gained an unfair advantage over the majority of the competition by one means  or another. Enjoy your New Holiday Tournament for years to come. 

The only thing I really want to say about this is that New Castle placed every wrestler that was eligible to compete, and met our school's attendance requirements, on the mat except for one who had an injury.   All six wrestlers were in our Sectional line-up, which included only eleven kids, so they were not JV kids.  What you, or anyone else on here thinks about me, does not matter.  The truth is the IHSAA declared last spring, when they voted to end the Dual tournament, that the Tournament was meaningless so why encourage kids that are sick to come to school and wrestle when they can be getting well and maybe have some success in the tournament that counts.  For various reasons we have had trouble fielding a full line-up all year.  Most of the year (especially since grades came out) we have forfeited 4-5 weight classes each time out so the stretch from nine or ten weight classes full to six is not a long one.

Maybe its good you do not care what people think about you because right now it not pretty favorable. All you did for the most part was screw JC out of a fair shot, if you new you were going to do this why did you not pass and let the second place team bring a squad that wanted to wrestle? I find it hard to believe that all those kids were ineligible right now but will be eligible this saturday?? how many kids do you have going to regionals? just the ones that showed up last night?? how stupid do you think we are? I think you should defend yourself and post the names of the kids that wrestled last night and the names of the ones that compete Saturday maybe we are being unfair in judging you. I am willing to admit i am wrong if that list is the same.

Maybe its good you do not care what people think about you because right now it not pretty favorable. All you did for the most part was screw JC out of a fair shot, if you new you were going to do this why did you not pass and let the second place team bring a squad that wanted to wrestle? I find it hard to believe that all those kids were ineligible right now but will be eligible this saturday?? how many kids do you have going to regionals? just the ones that showed up last night?? how stupid do you think we are? I think you should defend yourself and post the names of the kids that wrestled last night and the names of the ones that compete Saturday maybe we are being unfair in judging you. I am willing to admit i am wrong if that list is the same.

If the kids did not attend school on Wednesday then they are considered ineligible for any sporting event help that day. But as long as they attend school on Friday they are eligible for Saturday's Regional. Don't think your list will do a much to make anyone happy.

All you did for the most part was screw JC out of a fair shot, if you new you were going to do this why did you not pass and let the second place team bring a squad that wanted to wrestle?

To be fair, if he had done this, people would be making the same criticism about making a mockery of team state by not having the best team participate. 

If these students truly did miss school Wednesday and weren?t eligible, then just showing up with six guys shows class to me.  If that is not the truth, then I feel pretty much the same as the rest of the posters.

So Jennings is such poor shape, that they can't wrestle 2 matches in one night?

I think you have solid first hand knowledge of what kind conditioning JC is in as I am pretty sure Madison wrestles them. Warren Central is very well conditioned and talented team and I also think you know that if you have well matched opponents and 1 has already wrestled 6 min. in the last hour and the other has not the fresh wrestler has the advantage and any body who would disagree with that has not spent much time on the mat or around the sport of wrestling or for that matter sports of any kind.

Pin2win;

It can be a slight advantage BUT every tourney kids gets FF's our Byes.  Does that mean those kids don't deserve the win?  Jennings is a well conditioned team and I doubt this played much into match.  Congrats to the Jennings team on a great season and a big win over Connersville. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.