Coaches Association. Coaches Only please

Jake Riesen

If you jokers don't care about something then don't complain.  Someone posted a suggestion and you just acting like who cares.  If you want to bicker abbout what I say have fun at it but I am going to try and help the association move forward.  If you don't want to be a part in the process then don't complain.  Its as simple as that either get on board or shut you mouths about things.

Terry,

This is what I see:

1. Coach Riesen at Churubusco doing a boat load of work on the newsletter and it is a nice product

2. Coach Snyder, maligned and Coach Strub doing a boat load of work putting together a workable process to have a team state.

3. Team Rankings that were neglected for over a month until the IHSWCA vice president was contacted by Coach Snyder, who probably has more important issues to attend to.  This despite the fact that a media member had contacted IHSWCA leadership multiple times offering his assistance with the rankings.

4. Regional representatives that were asked to pass out forms at sectional seeding meetings and those forms were not available to print that day.

5.  Little to no communication, especially for lay coaches.

6.  Little to no local/regional organization

7.  An association that has nothing in its by laws concerning coaching ethics...which I believe has led a minority of renegade coaches and programs to flaunt the IHSAA bylaws and give our sport low respect level with IHSAA leadership.

In total, I see a dysfunctional organization that struggles to meet the needs of the rank and file coaches.  

Wow, Karl I have been to last couple meetings and I see alot of promose and hope...Things really seem to be moving in the right direction.  Speaking of lay coaches the Coaches mentoring program that the IHSWCA is putting together is another step in the right direction to help those lay coaches and new coaches out to get them involved.

Did you not get the forms at your sectional from your regional rep?

The last meeting is the first time I have seen our by laws and you do bring up a interesting point.  What do you think can be added to improve?  What would you like to see added?

Regaurdless of our bickering on here we should all be able to agree upon one thing.  That every head coach should be a part of the association.  If wrestling ever wants to be treated like any of the other major sports we need to start acting like it.  Football, Baseball, and basketball have nearly 100% of the coaches backing their association and we have less then 1/3.  If we do not come together we loose things like team state while other sports continue to thrive because the coaches are at least fighting on the same side.  Another reason to join is that it makes your student atheletes eligible for academic all state honors.  I think any coach that doesn't join for that reason alone should be reprimanded by the school.  If someone from my family were declined a chance at academic all state honors because a coach was not on board for a simple membership then there would be hell to pay.  We are suppose to be above all this bs fighting and gripping.  As coaches you are suppose to be role modle on and of the mat.  What kind of a role model doesn't give a damn enough about his wrestlers to sign them up for academic all state honors?  So if your not signed up look in the mirror and ask yourself what is right for your kids, your sport, and your community.  I think we can all agree on that.   I think we can all agree we need to Unite.  So Y2, Karl, or anyone else who wants to bad mouth the association for its past, I want to come right out with it and bad mouth each and every one of you who do not care enough for the kids.  Thats what I am going to leave you with today.  Step up or Step down the ball is in your court now.  

Ps Karl thank you for writting back and I know you are concerned with the structure of the organiation of the association.  That being said it is not like we can't improve upon it.  All major sports have thriving coaches associations and we would rather sit and complain then fix them.  Its a sad state of affairs when prominent members of our wrestling community just give up.  I hope your wrestlers never see you give up like you have today and for youy2 you have given up for years.  Be a man and step up.  Either way I am done with you two for today.  I can not take the retched smell of mediocrity.

Wow, Karl I have been to last couple meetings and I see alot of promose and hope...Things really seem to be moving in the right direction.  Speaking of lay coaches the Coaches mentoring program that the IHSWCA is putting together is another step in the right direction to help those lay coaches and new coaches out to get them involved.

Did you not get the forms at your sectional from your regional rep?

The last meeting is the first time I have seen our by laws and you do bring up a interesting point.  What do you think can be added to improve?  What would you like to see added?

I acknowledged the efforts of Sam and those that were doing positive things.  However well intentioned I do not think that they will have much of an impact on membership.

Our regional rep asked me to pass the forms out.  I went to the website to download and print them and they were not available.

I just listed a number of issues in the previous post.

Regaurdless of our bickering on here we should all be able to agree upon one thing.  That every head coach should be a part of the association.  If wrestling ever wants to be treated like any of the other major sports we need to start acting like it.  Football, Baseball, and basketball have nearly 100% of the coaches backing their association and we have less then 1/3.  If we do not come together we loose things like team state while other sports continue to thrive because the coaches are at least fighting on the same side.  Another reason to join is that it makes your student atheletes eligible for academic all state honors.  I think any coach that doesn't join for that reason alone should be reprimanded by the school.  If someone from my family were declined a chance at academic all state honors because a coach was not on board for a simple membership then there would be hell to pay.  We are suppose to be above all this bs fighting and gripping.  As coaches you are suppose to be role modle on and of the mat.  What kind of a role model doesn't give a damn enough about his wrestlers to sign them up for academic all state honors?  So if your not signed up look in the mirror and ask yourself what is right for your kids, your sport, and your community.  I think we can all agree on that.  I think we can all agree we need to Unite.  So Y2, Karl, or anyone else who wants to bad mouth the association for its past, I want to come right out with it and bad mouth each and every one of you who do not care enough for the kids.  Thats what I am going to leave you with today.  Step up or Step down the ball is in your court now. 

Ps Karl thank you for writting back and I know you are concerned with the structure of the organiation of the association.  That being said it is not like we can't improve upon it.  All major sports have thriving coaches associations and we would rather sit and complain then fix them.  Its a sad state of affairs when prominent members of our wrestling community just give up.  I hope your wrestlers never see you give up like you have today and for youy2 you have given up for years.  Be a man and step up.  Either way I am done with you two for today.  I can not take the retched smell of mediocrity.

And I can not take rambling incoherent  posts.

Not trying to argue with anyone.

Just making information on how to get hold of me if you ever need anything public......

Danny Struck

cell - 812-786-2308

classroom - 812-282-6601 ext 15294

join us on facebook - IHSWCA

dstruck@gcs.k12.in.us

home - 206 Kewanna drive right next to the only white house on the street.

I got on board to make a difference, I hope someday it will be a difference people like, I hope I can get people to come help us make a difference.  I am still new and trying.   I am seeing how hard people before me worked, how hard the current people are working, and hope we can keep going in this direction.  Everyone that comes to our meetings is giving 100%.  Thank you for that!

Thank you for all the healthy discussions!!!

If you need anything please contact me DIRECTLY, I will do everything I can to get back with you in a timely manner.

Ttipton,

I have until this year been a member of the IHSWCA for 20yrs.  I went to all the clinics, and always felt it is no more than a good old boy system.

I tried to get a friend of mine into the hall of fame, I tried many times and he never got in.  Lets see Mark Line had over 300 wins, had countless state qualifiers and 3 state champions and won the team State by the IHSWCA rules in 2000 but thats not enough to get into the hall of fame.  But another coach can come into the hall of fame after being a member of the IHSWCA for 1 year! 

You want coaches in?  I guess you have to be connected to get recognized.

I would be happy to debate it any time with you email me at bcunningham@nn.k12.in.us

http://www.ihswca.com/membershipform.pdf

For you non-IHSWCA members. Just print this out, fill it out, mail it in and you'll be a member.

Maybe Y2 can pin this to the top of the page.  ;D

What about those who have done that in the fall and heard no confirmation or received any information about their membership?

I will say this.  Coach Struck has gone out of his way to personally respond to my questions and concerns regarding the IHSWCA.  Not all involved have been willing to do so.  If it weren't for his efforts, my opinion would not be as positive.  A team state tournament is a good thing, and I really enjoy the time spent on the newsletter.  Good stuff for sure.  Change is evident in the association, but simple things matter to a large majority of the coaches out there.  Respond to questions.  Take care of things that are cut and dry.  That's how you start to get folks to "mail it in". 

What about those who have done that in the fall and heard no confirmation or received any information about their membership?

I will say this.  Coach Struck has gone out of his way to personally respond to my questions and concerns regarding the IHSWCA.  Not all involved have been willing to do so.  If it weren't for his efforts, my opinion would not be as positive.  A team state tournament is a good thing, and I really enjoy the time spent on the newsletter.  Good stuff for sure.  Change is evident in the association, but simple things matter to a large majority of the coaches out there.  Respond to questions.  Take care of things that are cut and dry.  That's how you start to get folks to "mail it in". 

The reason why I posted that is just to show that it's not as difficult to become a member as it's been made out to be. The information is right there in the main page of the IHSWCA website. Anyone that's savvy enough to come to indianamat, navigate the website, and read through any of the threads from this messageboard. Is more than capable of printing out a membership form.

With that being said, I do agree with everything that you've stated. When the IHSWCA is looking to grow numbers, the most important thing (which happens to also be the most basic) is communication. I'm sure there are more people, like yourself, that are trying to reach out to the association. This is actually my first year in the association, and I've had emails gone unanswered. For me, I just brush it off. However, for some, I can see how that might rub people the wrong way. Coach Struck is setting a good example for how the IHSWCA should be ran (as far as communicatin is concerned), and I hope this continues.

The reason why I posted that is just to show that it's not as difficult to become a member as it's been made out to be. The information is right there in the main page of the IHSWCA website. Anyone that's savvy enough to come to indianamat, navigate the website, and read through any of the threads from this messageboard. Is more than capable of printing out a membership form.

With that being said, I do agree with everything that you've stated. When the IHSWCA is looking to grow numbers, the most important thing (which happens to also be the most basic) is communication. I'm sure there are more people, like yourself, that are trying to reach out to the association. This is actually my first year in the association, and I've had emails gone unanswered. For me, I just brush it off. However, for some, I can see how that might rub people the wrong way. Coach Struck is setting a good example for how the IHSWCA should be ran (as far as communicatin is concerned), and I hope this continues.

And I'm as guilty as the next guy for responding to email occasionally.  But that's just my frustrations. Others may find that to be no problem. I just see some folks busting their hump to get things done in some capacities and other things aren't there yet. That's why I mailed my form in. At some point, I wouldn't mind shouldering some of the load that they are carrying. I think that was the intent for me in joining. I'm not a big fan of "it won't ever change, so why try?" because it's the easy way out. I don't accept it from my kids either.

Thank you everyone for restoring this back to sanity.  NNHS I have no problem with you being angry with not being able to honor a HOF worthy coach.  That being said things are changing with the association and you can be up front and vocal.  Not sure any of the rules to becoming a HOF member, but I would think a qualtity canidate that meets criteria would definatly be up for disscussion.  If it wasn't in the past I hope you stick with it and maybe change a few minds within the organization.  I do not know enough about your personal situation with the organization, but I can tell you they are starting to listen to what the coaches want a lot more.

PHScoach I would also like to 100% agree with you about coach struck.  He seems to be a real standup guy.  Hopefully in the future we can get a lot more people like coach Struck in the organization instead of complaining on here. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.