Heart Broke Senior

SpencerHessman

I think the best bet would be to get in touch with the referee that was "jumping on the scale to humor a coach" and get him to "man-up" and admit he may have altered the operation of a scale just before the most important weigh-in of this young man's career.  I would hope that if he would come forward and admit to the action, you would have a very good case.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best bet would be to get in touch with the referee that was "jumping on the scale to humor a coach" and get him to "man-up" and admit he may have altered the operation of a scale just before the most important weigh-in of this young man's career.  I would hope that if he would come forward and admit to the action, you would have a very good case.

I feel bad for the kid but the ref that was jumping on the scale more then likely will not come forward and admit to this, it would take away from the power of the zebra shirt.

I feel bad for the kid but the ref that was jumping on the scale more then likely will not come forward and admit to this, it would take away from the power of the zebra shirt.

This should have been the first thing mentioned when the kid didn't make weight. Where was his head coach and what did he do about it?

This is a very unfortunate situation but I dont see how anything can be done at this point.  I assume there was roughly an hour or so between Weigh-ins and Wrestling and that is about the only time anything could have been resolved.  

Several have said that this kind of thing has happen multiple times this year so I can only add for any future wrestler or coach that has this situation come up to ask the official if you can weigh-in at the end and have the weight recorded.  Then call the IHSAA or other officials to see if something can be resolved before wrestling starts.  Once wrestling starts it is really hard to correct the situation.

I feel bad for you Spencer and I'm a CG fan.  Was looking forward to a good rematch between you and Warner.  However, I also heard you didn't make weight on two different scales.  Is this true?  Good luck with what ever action you and your team take to resolve this as you should be heading back this weekend.  There's a good lesson to be learned here.

Back in the day in the FW Carrol regional there was a court injunction which delayed the regional until the Thursday before Semi State.  I hope for all of those involved that this can be resolved before then and the courts are not involved.

Really? Digital Scales? Digital or not, they cost a lot of money and are a precision instrument. Someone should have clothes lined that jackleg jumping on the scales. Why did they unplug it after his class was closed, why not let it calibrate at the time of being contested? A tragedy at any rate, what a memeory to live with the rest of his life. I gotta believe Spencer, truth is stranger than fiction. An appeal in my opinion will take a miracle to win due to the fact that the sectionals are concluded.

Really? Digital Scales? Digital or not, they cost a lot of money and are a precision instrument. Someone should have clothes lined that jackleg jumping on the scales. Why did they unplug it after his class was closed, why not let it calibrate at the time of being contested? A tragedy at any rate, what a memeory to live with the rest of his life. I gotta believe Spencer, truth is stranger than fiction. An appeal in my opinion will take a miracle to win due to the fact that the sectionals are concluded.

Wasn't it last year that some teams didn't get to wrestle in their regionals because of snow and they fit them into a pigtail at semi state?

Things that can be done...

Once the weigh in starts, nobody can leave the room, as they must stay in the designated weigh-in room and they can do nothing to lose weight, and nothing to gain weight.

Each wrestler gets to step on his designated scale once. If he does not make weight he gets to step off and step on the same scale one more time, for a total of two tries on his original scale. If he still does not make weight he can step on every other scale one time. If there is one more scale, he gets one more try. If there are ten more scales he would get ten more tries.

The wrestler who does not make weight on his original scale is immediately walked to each proceeding scale for one try. Once that every participant in a particular weight has stepped on the scale(s) the weight class is closed, and you cannot make any more efforts after the last wrestler of the day has weighed. Weigh ins ALWAYS start at 106 and conclude at 285 if one scale is used, but can be split up if more than one scale is used. They do, however, have to proceed in weight class order from the weight class which went first on any particular scale.

All of the above listed procedures are relatively new rules, passed maybe in the last 5-10 years. In the old days you could run during the WI, stand on your head, go to the bathroom, spit, throw up, and/or try again at the conclusion of the designated WI time frame. Not anymore.

In this particular sectional I understand there were only two scales, with 106-145 being weighed in on one scale, and 152-285 being weighed in on the other scale. It is also my understandinig that the young man was given two attempts on his original scale, one attempt on the other scale, and he was over weight on both scales. It is also my understanding that the IHSAA was called at the time (prior to the conclusion of the WI and prior to the start of any wrestling). I do not know, however, the particulars or results of the phone call, but it appears as if it was not in the young man's favor.

As far as an official jumping up and down on the scales, I can't confirm the accuracy of the statement or the possibility that the phrase "jumping up and down" is accurate or embelished, but it does sound a bit controversial and unprofessional on the part of the official if this occurred.

Regardless of the outcome, it's an extremely unfortunate situation for all involved.  :( :( :(

But again....they recalibrated the scale PART WAY through weigh-ins (actually it appears after only 2 weight classes had weighed on that scale), after Spencer had weighed in officially but before weigh ins were finished or final. The officials obviously believed there was a problem with the scale or no recalibration needed to occur. After the recalibration, when he got on he was back to the 2 tenths under that he was when he checked on that scale pre-weigh-in. If they recorded weights of the other weight classes after the recalibration on that scale, it seems to make sense that they would have allowed the weight classes who had just weighed, to re-weigh on the corrected scale also. Rules are rules but sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

Sorry to hear you missed weight Spencer. Did anyone else miss weight on that scale? If everyone else could make weight on the tampered scale then you probably should have also. This time of year no room for exceuses. Hopefully you can make weight for Wed. night at team regionals.

Come on man I sat there myself and watched it... It happened and its awful that they have done this to probably one of the hardest working kids in the state! I've grown up with him and he sure doesn't deserve this! The ref needs to be confronted about messing around on scales

It is unfortunate that the kid missed weight.  They do have the rule for his protection though, he had his chance on both scales.  I would say the lesson there is not to be so close that it matters.  Do not forget he does have a 2 lb allowance already.  I think that since the sectional is over, it would be unfair to the wrestlers from both sectionals if he is able to wrestle.  The 4 th place finisher made weight and wrestled his way in.  It would also be unfair if the 1st place finisher had to wrestle a very good wrestler in the first round.  He earned that 4 seed match up last Saturday.  I guess it would be fair if 3rd place finisher would concede to the 4 th place spot (since the missed weight guy was seeded 3rd) Other than that, I don't see how it is fair.  Rules are rules, if you do not enforce them you end up with chaos.  I am not implying this to be true in this case, but if we let him wrestle saturday, every wrestler who misses weight will appeal that a scandal is taking place.  What if this happened to a kid that was unseeded? Would we send him to a regional to face a fourth place finisher?

Spencer, I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I've wrestled you before and you're definitely a tough kid. I hope this situation gets resolved and you get the shot you deserve. I know my season is over, but I'd hate to see you not be able to wrestle because of something like this.

Damon Albertson

It is unfortunate that the kid missed weight.  They do have the rule for his protection though, he had his chance on both scales.  I would say the lesson there is not to be so close that it matters.  Do not forget he does have a 2 lb allowance already.  I think that since the sectional is over, it would be unfair to the wrestlers from both sectionals if he is able to wrestle.  The 4 th place finisher made weight and wrestled his way in.  It would also be unfair if the 1st place finisher had to wrestle a very good wrestler in the first round.  He earned that 4 seed match up last Saturday.  I guess it would be fair if 3rd place finisher would concede to the 4 th place spot (since the missed weight guy was seeded 3rd) Other than that, I don't see how it is fair.  Rules are rules, if you do not enforce them you end up with chaos.  I am not implying this to be true in this case, but if we let him wrestle saturday, every wrestler who misses weight will appeal that a scandal is taking place.  What if this happened to a kid that was unseeded? Would we send him to a regional to face a fourth place finisher?

You dont think that if i wasnt already under on the scale I would have lost the excess weight? The scale was broke for a short period of time and I got very unlucky. And yeah i thought that last year when I won regionals and had to wrestle the state runner up first round...

Spencer, I'm very sorry to hear this happened. I've wrestled you before and you're definitely a tough kid. I hope this situation gets resolved and you get the shot you deserve. I know my season is over, but I'd hate to see you not be able to wrestle because of something like this.

Damon Albertson

Im sorry to hear that, I think we  both know it definitely sucks. I know for a fact you are a hard worker, there wasnt a tourny this off season i didnt see you at. Doesnt seem fair. Good luck with any of your future plans man.

Thank you for all the support. I was denied today unfortunately, with very little investigation. It sucks because I have worked my ass off for a long time, it doesnt seem fair for my journey to end this way. I will not let this event change who I am as a person. I am thankful for the opprutunity to wrestle wednesday with my team.

Lets Go Grizzly Cubs!

Spencer was witnessed by two coaches and some wrestlers that he made weight before weigh ins started. The one ref was kinda jumping and dancing on the scale. Spencer was the 2nd kid to weigh in on that scale. The first kid didn't matter cause he was like 5 lbs under 106. Then Spencer stepped on 4 different times each time showing a different weight. The last time showed him weighing 4 tenths over. A scale isn't suppose to do that! There was obviously something wrong with it. One ref knew it was wrong and he stepped on and noticed he gained 4 pounds within 3 minutes. Also before Spencer stepped on it read 35.4 lbs with no one on it. And the ref had to zero out the scale about 3 times before it finally zeroed out correctly. Immediately after Spencer was done weighing in the ref turned the scale off and then back on which allowed the scale to go back to normal leaving no one else a problem. After everyone weighed Spence got back on and was 2 tenths under but the head official said it was too late. Through out the day atleast two coaches and a few wrestlers told Spencer that he got screwed!

Wasn't it last year that some teams didn't get to wrestle in their regionals because of snow and they fit them into a pigtail at semi state?

Things that can be done...

I am not sure about last year but I believe that two years ago that it happened in the Jay County Regionals.  I was thinking maybe Union City was not able to make it or they were the team that did so the JC officials decided to go on.

The three or four kids that qualified for regionals wrestled an extra rat tail round.  I do not remember if any one that first match but I am pretty sure that none made it to State.

Very disheartening news. I would go to a higher authority and have all the individuals, referees, wrestlers, coaches attest to this situation and have it possibly overturned...Maybe if it comes to it get a lawyer involved to go over all posible steps......but you better act by Friday because time is running out.....Best of luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.